I live with parents, its difficult to become vegan...

Christoph

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Hi Everyone.

My name is Chris. I have wanted to become vegan for a long time now, although I'm finding it very difficult as my parents are set in their ways and never listen to my health choices. They say "you get what you're given", and buy mostly pork products; bacon for breakfast, pork chops or sausages for dinner etc etc. There's tons of dairy in the house, and I really struggle to avoid it, as there's not a lot else to choose from. OK there is fruit and musli etc in the house, but I'm not sure what the best milk substitute products are most appropriate.. Also, If and when I buy my own food, it just becomes an issue around who prepares food and when.

OK rant aside, I guess I'm just looking for positive feedback as I start planning my route to veganism. Tired of being unhealthy, overweight, and contributing to a big fat greedy lie, which only leads to mass suffering along the chain.

Any plans, advise, recipes, inspiration would be greatly appreciated :)

Chris X

I live with roommates who are not vegan at all. I cook in the mornings and when it comes to cravings around the house just practice everyday to do the right thing and the craving goes away except for my weakness oreos :/! You'll prob have one weakness too but if I can get over cheese anything is possible. Check out Whole Foods grocery store and just get creative and try there meatless stuff. Veggie burgers are really good too even offer to cook one night and see if there down with it. If not do what people do best. Sneak around them lol

You can start asking them to make more vegetables for you. Really have a talk with them about what you want. I do think in time they will respect your choices. How old are you? If not now it will definitely be easier once you are on your own. Do what you can to be vegan. Every small thing has a big impact.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. Take responsibility for your own diet. Others can't determine what you eat unless you let them. I understand living at home with your parents can make you very dependent of their food choices but you will not live at home forever either. You should develop the food habits you want to carry forward now, not wait until it is convenient to do so. You could find yourself in a college dorm next, or living with a non-vegan, or any number of other living situations in the future that will impact your food choices.
I suggest that you first read a lot about the lifestyle you are about to embrace, buy yourself some vegan cookbooks, and practice making your own meals as soon as possible. The quicker you achieve dietary independence from those in your life, the sooner you can live the lifestyle you seem to want to live. You'll feel a lot better if you take charge of your own food intake than if you wait until it is easy and convenient to do so.
I also suggest ignoring those that will ridicule your choices, and also, try not to have an impact on those around you with your lifestyle choices. It only gives them fuel to berate your choices. Eventually, your better health will become apparent to them even if they refuse to admit it.

Good luck C.X.