I can't stop sleeping

maya6543

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
About 9 weeks ago I finished transitioning back to vegan and at first it was great, I had a lot of energy I was sleeping better etc. but in the past month something has changed and no matter how much I sleep it doesn't feel like enough. I'm plant based and very rarely eat processed foods. I'm 20 F and I eat on average 1500-2000 calories a day. I immediately thought I just wasn't being strict enough with my sleep schedule although I normally intuitively sleep and it's always worked well for me. So, I cut my sleep from what had grown to be 13 hours of sleep to 7.5-8.5 and no more napping and gave it some time to adjust and it hasn't seemed to help at all, I'm tired all the time and my body is so sore for seemingly no reason. I take my B12 daily and I track my food on Chronometer and I meet more than my daily values for iron and zinc and I can't figure out what else it could be. Being able to sleep for as long as I'll let myself is very out of character for me but very common for my mother, is it possible that maybe I inherited her sleeping habits and it wasn't until I cleaned up my diet that my true sleeping habits manifested? Please help!

If it is due to your diet and I'm not saying it is are you getting enough vitamin c with the iron to help absorb the iron? Plant iron is harder for the body to absorb without the help of vitamin c. That's what it turned out to be for me. I was really tired too and I adjusted my diet to include some kind of vitamin c with my iron sources. I add a juice or a piece of fruit to my iron source food. Give it a try and it might help.

The first thing I thought after reading your post maya6543 was it could be an under active thyroid, or pernicious anemia. My M.I.L has both of these and is sleepy nearly all the time.
I suffer from depression, and part of its cycle for me is tiredness.
There are many other things that might cause it so I would suggest a visit to your Dr. I hope it's nothing serious and you feel well again soon

Are you eating enough? 1500 cals is a starvation diet. Maybe strong coffee would help. Some medics say coffee is very healthy and some attribute the fact that Parkinsons is unheard of in Japan to the fact that they drink so much strong coffee. Do you get enough exercise? Usually when I exercise I feel tired at first but the exercise seems to wake me up and give me more energy.

If it is due to your diet and I'm not saying it is are you getting enough vitamin c with the iron to help absorb the iron? Plant iron is harder for the body to absorb without the help of vitamin c. That's what it turned out to be for me. I was really tired too and I adjusted my diet to include some kind of vitamin c with my iron sources. I add a juice or a piece of fruit to my iron source food. Give it a try and it might help.

I'll try this! I heard that putting some lemon juice on your greens does this but I'll up my game for sure!!! thanks

The first thing I thought after reading your post maya6543 was it could be an under active thyroid, or pernicious anemia. My M.I.L has both of these and is sleepy nearly all the time.
I suffer from depression, and part of its cycle for me is tiredness.
There are many other things that might cause it so I would suggest a visit to your Dr. I hope it's nothing serious and you feel well again soon

thank you ! I recently had blood work done to check my thyroid and there were no issues but I did recently get my b12 supplement in the mail so maybe that'll do it!

Are you eating enough? 1500 cals is a starvation diet. Maybe strong coffee would help. Some medics say coffee is very healthy and some attribute the fact that Parkinsons is unheard of in Japan to the fact that they drink so much strong coffee. Do you get enough exercise? Usually when I exercise I feel tired at first but the exercise seems to wake me up and give me more energy.

I think you might be right about the exercise, I didn't really think about it until you mentioned it but I started feeling super tired right around the same time that I slowed my exercise down.