I became a vegan 4 days ago . . . question?

Davy

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I'm in my early 60's and saw one of John Rose's videos.
So my BP is borderline high, 150/90, am about 20 lbs overweight and I have arrhythmia - thus my decision to become a Vegan.
My question is: How long will it take my BP to come down to more normal? Would one month do it? Course I'm in it for the long haul.

An aside: I started taking extra Potassium, Magnesium, vitamins D3 and K2, L-Arginine and Taurine 4 days
ago too. I'm about 80% raw at this point; no processed foods. Drinking 1 or 2 raw juices per day.
e.g. Beets, celery, spinach, apple, ginger, garlic, carrot.
Shooting for 15% fat, 10% protein, 75% Carbs.

Last edited:
Never mind. Tough question to answer. Will just find out first hand. Funny, on the third day of juice fast, my
BP was normal, about 135/78. A month should show good progress; 6 months ought to be normal.

Hi Davy
That's very good news. Nuts and seeds would also protect your heart. I eat them every day on top of my muesli. Beans also help to reduce your blood cholesterol level. I eat those every day in curries, chilli sin carne, goulash etc.

Thanks Mark. I can use all the help I can get. Yessir, am cooking some lentils and pintos right now and eating
about a handful of almonds, sunflower seeds and cashews a day. . . hard to not overeat those nuts.

Hi Davey, it's all so much a personal journey. Different reasons for the same choices, some early some later. I have no answers for the questions you have asked about . I just eat what feels right for me, having no medical or science background I haven't even a general idea of the answers you are looking for. But I am glad you are willing to give vegan a go, but if you have medical issues I think such a major life change could benefit from a sympathetic medical person.

Hello Davy, I also don't have the answers to your questions, I just wanted to post and wish you the best of luck and also I find it admirable that you are doing something about your health and blood pressure, I am 7 days in today and find peoples stories really interesting. all the best :)

Hi Davy, I've been vegan for 14 years, and my advice would be - do your research. There are many reputable plant-based doctors out there who can help. My first goto would be Dr Michael Greger:
nutrition facts.org
But there's also Drs Neal Barnard, John McDougall, Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell and more.
Books I can recommend:
How not to Die - Dr Greger (I bought 3 copies, one for me and one each for my kids)
The China Study
Forks over Knives.

All the best - I'm sure your health issues will improve faster than you imagine.

B&W

Thanks all. Ha. The doctors around here are 99% pro drugs. The two I went to see never even mentioned I should lose a few lbs nor mentioned my diet. They just gave me 3 drug prescriptions...an alpha blocker, a beta blocker, and something called an ACE inhibitor. I thought there is GOT to be something better than this. Thus my Vegan Diet decision after some googling. Of course none of them ever heard of John Rose, Paul Bragg or Mike Greger. Okay, lol, rant over.
Man that How Not to Die sounds great. Think I'll order it.
Best on everyone else's journey too.

Are you still Vegan Davy?
If so l hope you have learned a bit about what it means, with proper diet the ONLY supplement you may need is B12 but a lot of the Almond milks have it added. BP of 135/78 is pretty good though it will fluctuate, make sure you get regular exercise.

I should have said, EATING Vegan...and yep, WindRose, still eating that way, with occasional bump off the wagon.
That 135/78 was while juice fasting but it's not much different now, except with higher pulse.
Am doing oral EDTA chelation now, hoping to clean out my arteries, as I must have some plague buildup...flew over
to Asia and my feet were swollen by the time we landed. Stayed that way for 10 days and they went back to normal within 24 hrs of getting back to the US. Means my lymph system or lower arteries are a bit clogged.
Ha, I drink Almond milk and would never go back to cow's milk now. Down 6 lbs since eating Vegan, starting 2 months ago. Quit coffee and alcohol, but back to half cup of coffee. Still a teetotaler.

l like my coffee (espresso) with a shot of Baileys ,one a day, l am down 55 lbs in less than a year but then l walk about 32 miles a week (strictly for exercise) BP meds cut in half and down to 115/70..and l am 68

Terrific! I'm sure the 32 miles per week is a huge help.
I've stopped my BP meds completely. I've read you'll live longer without them and that doctors/hospitals/meds
are now the 3rd leading cause of death. Meds only treat the symptoms, not the cause.

True but you should not just stop your meds, l keep a twice daily log of my BP readings and after 3 months presented the results and my general health (l was getting dizzy while on the meds) hence the dr confirmed the meds could be reduced and l am continuing to track the BP.