• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark Mywordz

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
How vegan are you?

Answer Y (yes) or N (no) to the following questions.

1. Your plane makes an emergency landing in the Andes. You realize it will take 3 or 4 days of hard walking and climbing to get back to civilization. Do you eat that bird with the broken wing or risk death from lack of energy?

2. Your Austrian friend invites you to her house for coffee and proudly presents you with a piece of that homemade cheesecake which she knows you used to find so delicious. Do you eat it?

3. You order an espresso but the charming waiter brings an espresso macchiato (with just a drop of cow's milk). Do you drink it?
My answers are probably Y, Y. Y. Though I would find the bird very very hard to eat. Am I a failed/lapsed vegan?

Reactions: Laura Warner
1. GOOD-BYE BIRDIE. MY IDEALISM STOPS AT DEATH'S DOORSTEP.
2 NOPE, IT'S TIME MY AUSSIE FRIEND LEARNS MATE
3. HOW WOULD I ACTUALLY KNOW IT HAD A DROP OF MILK IN IT? I WOULD DRINK IT BY MISTAKE.

SOOOO....Y, N, AND PROBABLY.

GOOD QUESTIONS.

THE PLANT MUNCHER

Reactions: Damo and Christine
1. Risk death
2. Politely decline
3. If I knew, I would try to remove it if that was possible or ask for a new one since it is just a cup of coffee. But I would probably just end up consuming it if I didn't know.

Your plane makes an emergency landing in the Andes. You realize it will take 3 or 4 days of hard walking and climbing to get back to civilization. Do you eat that bird with the broken wing or risk death from lack of energy?
YES (actually this one is pretty close to maybe, I think if someone else cooked it and gave it to me on the third day when I felt faint it's probably a yes, but if I had to skin it and cook it myself on the first day that's probably a no)

Your Austrian friend invites you to her house for coffee and proudly presents you with a piece of that homemade cheesecake which she knows you used to find so delicious. Do you eat it?
YES (but ask her not to do it again and refuse any repeats).

You order an espresso but the charming waiter brings an espresso macchiato (with just a drop of cow's milk). Do you drink it?
YES (but either ask them not to do it again and/or don't go back if this happens more than once)

Espresso macchiato:
You can tell from the colour and taste of the coffee that it is macchiato. Macchiato means stained, so the colour changes. I can also tell from the taste if it is macchiato.

No to all 3 choices. Yes I have been starved for a week when I was 13 because I would not eat a piece of fish, that same piece was put in front of me 3 times a day for a week.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Yes I have been starved for a week when I was 13 because I would not eat a piece of fish, that same piece was put in front of me 3 times a day for a week.
Poor you. I too have learned that adults, with sometimes the best possible intentions, can do the most horrible things to children. This can apply especially to adolescents because of their reputation for “sullenness, unreasonableness, bad temperedness and just about anythingness”.

BTB. Let me say just a few words about your lovely Queensland. We spent six weeks in Townsville a few years back on a home exchange. Diving the reef and walking the bush were wonderful but my endearing memory is of The Frosty Mango north of Townsville. The sorbets on offer were magnificent especially the chocolate. We always stopped in for one and also took away tubs of the stuff for the freezer.

And it was during one visit there that I learned a little about the Aussie character.

I had introduced myself to a bush walking club and towards the end of a day out with them I took a tumble and cracked open my scalp. As I came back to consciousness I half heard somebody say, “It’s not as bad as it looks.” Perhaps not a very helpful comment. Anyway I was bandaged up and we called into The Frosty Mango on the way back. I ordered my favourite from an assistant who smiled at me sweetly as she served me. It was only when I got back to Townsville that I saw myself in the mirror. It was horrific with streams of dried blood covering my face. It was then that I realized how that assistant had been a perfect example of Aussie cool.

Roger.

Last edited:
Reactions: alleycat
Poor you. I too have learned that adults, with sometimes the best possible intentions, can do the most horrible things to children. This can apply especially to adolescents because of their reputation for “sullenness, unreasonableness, bad temperedness and just about anythingness”.

BTB. Let me say just a few words about your lovely Queensland. We spent six weeks in Townsville a few years back on a home exchange. Diving the reef and walking the bush were wonderful but my endearing memory is of The Frosty Mango north of Townsville. The sorbets on offer were magnificent especially the chocolate. We always stopped in for one and also took away tubs of the stuff for the freezer.

And it was during one visit there that I learned a little about the Aussie character.

I had introduced myself to a bush walking club and towards the end of a day out with them I took a tumble and cracked open my scalp. As I came back to consciousness I half heard somebody say, “It’s not as bad as it looks.” Perhaps not a very helpful comment. Anyway I was bandaged up and we called into The Frosty Mango on the way back. I ordered my favourite from an assistant who smiled at me sweetly as she served me. It was only when I got back to Townsville that I saw myself in the mirror. It was horrific with streams of dried blood covering my face. It was then that I realized how that assistant had been a perfect example of Aussie cool.

Roger.
This definitely explains some of your posts Rog. :)

Y, N, N

I don't think veganism expects you to turn down meat when you need it to survive! The point is that in our day to day lives in the 21st century we don't need it to survive so we have a choice. Crashed in the Andes? Less choice.

I'd say Y, N, N (though I'd struggle to eat the bird). In principle I dislike the notion of anything going to waste, but I feel like it'd cause upset with others down the line - "you ate Helen's cheesecake so why won't you eat this cheese sandwich that I made for you?".

No, I'd fix its wing

No, I'd make a polite excuse (being British and all)

No, no, no

Come on people get some No in you lives

• Haha
Depending on the severity of the break a birds wing typically takes two to four weeks to heal.
I'd strap it up and bring them along for the ride.

No to all 3.

With regards to the first question, 3-4 days is not a long time to go without food. If it were longer, there are usually options:

1. Nope, I haven't ate a bird in a very long time and eating a raw bird would probably make me vomit so much that I'd probably die anyway.
  2. Nope.
  3. Probably would... Considering I probably wouldn't notice, unless I did then I probably wouldn't.