How to stop supporting labor cloth and stuff

Ohad

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
I heard counter arguments against veganism that say that our cloths are also made out of child abuse in Chaina and stuff like that. Don’t get me wrong I’m not going to be carnivore again but this argument did touch me. The question I ask is how can I know what products are made out of slavery and what are not?

Sorry I know it doesn’t have a lot to do with veganism, but I figured I should ask good vegan people about this stuff because all the other people couldn’t care less about where their products come from and what suffer it causes.

I heard counter arguments against veganism that say that our cloths are also made out of child abuse in Chaina and stuff like that. Don’t get me wrong I’m not going to be carnivore again but this argument did touch me. The question I ask is how can I know what products are made out of slavery and what are not?

Sorry I know it doesn’t have a lot to do with veganism, but I figured I should ask good vegan people about this stuff because all the other people couldn’t care less about where their products come from and what suffer it causes.
I believe everyone should have an understanding of the human toll on what they're able to buy,
I firmly believe that those who can afford to should be adamant about their choices, while those without the means to buy ethically sourced products should look to thrift shops, and minimalism. It would be also be easier to research a brand and stick with that.

Look locally

It has a LOT to do with veganism. If you have compassion and love for animals, and you at some point in your journey recognize humans as an animal, then you'd have compassion for people too. (I see a lot of vegans missing that point.)

Gandhi, wove his own cloth and expected that of his household. He encouraged his followers to also weave and dye their own cloth to stop being under the tyranny of another government and only buying cloth from them.

Reactions: Lou
First off, the people who use that kind of counter argument are using (maybe not consciously) an old debate strategy called diversion. Or what is popularly known as Whataboutism.

For instance I would say, there are 29 million cows killed each year for food.
and they would say, Well, what about the 6 million refugees from Syria.

Its a very effective strategy in debate. although in my oppion it is sort of cheating. It's also called a logical fallacy.

I'm not sure there is a good defense for it. I mean if you attack it head on you end up taking about whatever it is they wanted to talk about. Although it might be worth trying a, "well what about it?"
Maybe a shrug or eye roll followed by the rest of your argument can work too.

As far as choosing ethical apparel, its certainly a good idea to look for apparel that has the FreeTrade sticker.
You can also google "ethical apparel" and/or "sustainable clothing".

Veganism is all about compassion - its part of the vegan psych to avoid or minimize cruelty to living things - including humans.

It can be a little complicated and time consuming to get into this but there are websites that can help. For me it becomes sort of supporting the "good" brands and boycotting the "worst" brands".

BTW, My two favorite food groups, chocolate and coffee have some of the worst practices in regards to human rights. Look for FairTrade stickers on coffee and chocolate, too.