How to quit eating junk food-Feeling Sick

Anonymous1502

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am addicted to junk food.I can eat 100g of chocolate in one go, or a whole tub of ice cream in one go.I am eating incredibly large amounts of junk food and I don't have the discipline to only eat a bit.Today I had 5 chocolate chip cookies for example.I eat a lot of junk food because it is easier to buy a pack of chocolate than to cook and because I find healthy foods tasteless.I have a massive sweet tooth and constant junk food cravings.I can't get my fix from fruit.How can I move away from this junk food vegan lifestyle?It is making me feel incredibly sick.I just get no satisfaction from eating like a bowl of tofu or pasta or rice or any sort of proper meal.

try drinking a LOT of orange juice

I really don't think that is a good suggestion. Orange juice is no better than soda.

Annon has posted versions of this question several times and gotten a lot of good answers. He even "liked" a few.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Personally speaking, I've find the best way to quit an auction is "cold beans." You've got to get rid of all the junk food in your home and decide your not buying anymore. If you try to wean yourself off, your going to have a hard time deciding how much is ok, when it's ok, etc. It's a constant struggle. It's so much easier if you just quit. I have also found that the less junk food I eat, the less I want it. Sorry, I know that's probably now the answer your looking for. it's just what works for me

Reactions: Lou
Personally speaking, I've find the best way to quit an auction is "cold beans." You've got to get rid of all the junk food in your home and decide your not buying anymore. If you try to wean yourself off, your going to have a hard time deciding how much is ok, when it's ok, etc. It's a constant struggle. It's so much easier if you just quit. I have also found that the less junk food I eat, the less I want it. Sorry, I know that's probably now the answer your looking for. it's just what works for me

There is a lot of "science" that backs you up there, TR.

It is a lot easier to apply will power at the grocery store and not buy that stuff in the first place.

something else you see in our favorite vegan doctor's articles, books, and videos is that the bacteria in our guts can affect our brains. Its the bacteria that have evolved with us that "need" sugar and fat to survive and they have ways of convincing us that we need that stuff too. Stop feeding them and they are replaced with others that don't need fat and sugar - and the cravings stop. Most people claim that works in less than a month.

Self-weaning is for some people easier. And it is also easier done at the grocery store. A pint of ice cream AND a box of Oreos once a week. Then just one of those a week. or whatever system you can devise.

Another strategy that works for some is "rule-based". No snacks after 10, then 9, then 8, then on odd-numbered days.... Smokers have used this to some success. No going to the store for ice cream. or some other effective rules.

Replacement also has been effective. but it also must start in the grocery store. Don't buy cookies - buy something else. and then have that something else instead of cookies.

this reminds me of a joke. How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

One. but the lightbulb has got to want to change.

There is a lot of "science" that backs you up there, TR.

It is a lot easier to apply will power at the grocery store and not buy that stuff in the first place.

something else you see in our favorite vegan doctor's articles, books, and videos is that the bacteria in our guts can affect our brains. Its the bacteria that have evolved with us that "need" sugar and fat to survive and they have ways of convincing us that we need that stuff too. Stop feeding them and they are replaced with others that don't need fat and sugar - and the cravings stop. Most people claim that works in less than a month.

Self-weaning is for some people easier. And it is also easier done at the grocery store. A pint of ice cream AND a box of Oreos once a week. Then just one of those a week. or whatever system you can devise.

Another strategy that works for some is "rule-based". No snacks after 10, then 9, then 8, then on odd-numbered days.... Smokers have used this to some success. No going to the store for ice cream. or some other effective rules.

Replacement also has been effective. but it also must start in the grocery store. Don't buy cookies - buy something else. and then have that something else instead of cookies.

this reminds me of a joke. How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

One. but the lightbulb has got to want to change.
Thanks, Lou. I meant to type *addiction.* Not "auction." Darned late-night swiping on my phone and autocorrect ;)

Reactions: Lou
I don't know the right answer. I feel for you, this situation must be hard.
If you suspect that this might be some sort of an eating disorder, it would be advisable to consider therapy. If you think that therapy is useless, or if you have had bad experiences, maybe write down what goes on in your mind when you start having urges to eat something that makes you sick. And then go on a walk. Walking helps to clear your mind. But our minds are tricky, they tell us to go to the store "I have to get something rewarding, after all, I was good and didn't eat junk today." Then, I don't know how, but just try to walk somewhere where there isn't any grocery stores nearby.
Breathe deep, meditate, strech, take a shower, for example... Just do something, to feel your body, and distract yourself from harming yourself.

If you fail, it isn't the end of the world, you can always try again.

Take care. :heart:

Ps. If you find healthy food tasteless, maybe try some very spicy foods instead? Ingredients like garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric, cumin, mint, cinnamon, there are some wicked recipes you can concoct, when you learn to use the spices that you favour... and sauces like sriracha, tabasco, you can add those to almost any food and pesto, that you can use on top of bread (maybe pesto is not that healthy, but still)... There are a lot of options, and easy recipes that you can try out. :)
And maybe it doesn't matter that much if the recipe is healthy or not? You can start by preparing those foods that you find delicious, and then, gradually move towards more healthier options. The cooking part in itself can be very rewarding, as you learn more of the ingredients that you like.
Also, eating more protein can, in some cases help control sweet tooth. If you hate regular tofu, get spiced, or add spices while preparing. Some protein shakes might also work, but I have very limited knowledge of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lou and TofuRobot