How To Budget Your Money

I'm not sure what happens when people work abroad for some of their life, but you can now check your UK state pension forecast online. Check your State Pension - GOV.UK

I must look into this but don't have any high hopes.

I had a very long conversion with the pension/retirement agent at the local agency. She worked out the exact amount of my pension at certain dates for 2017 and 18. She gave me some very useful information and tips. One thing that I have learned is that certain ideas are false and I mean really false. In turn I also gave this information to two of my colleagues who are also planning to retire within the next year or two. I also learned that if you give the firm 6 months notice you get an extra 10% of the bonus that they fork out when you leave. Initially, I was planning to give 2 months notice.

It's always better to get advise for professionals and work out when it's the best time to retire. I have done my sums and I will be working all year for a small amount of money but I think that it's the best decision. I still have another 35 settlements toward my mortgage. I will also have to pay towards private insurance which for the time being is paid 50 50 by myself and my employeur. This will be quite a huge chunk of money so I'm going to shop around for the best deal.

We don't get free bus fares until 70 over here so that means using the car far more than I would have liked to.

If all works to plan ( this may not happen as our firm may have other plans) I will request my state pension for the 1 st January 18. I have over a year to plan and start to find other ways of making money.
The drawback is that by law you cannot earn over a certain amount of your last salary which will make things difficult.

I must look into this but don't have any high hopes.

You might get a nice surprise. :DI checked mine earlier in the year on Gov.uk and it only took about 10 or 15 mins if I remember correctly. The woman I spoke to on the phone said that I should check again after October 2016 (I'm not sure why?) as it may have changed, so if you do it you might want to wait for next month.

You might get a nice surprise. :DI checked mine earlier in the year on Gov.uk and it only took about 10 or 15 mins if I remember correctly. The woman I spoke to on the phone said that I should check again after October 2016 (I'm not sure why?) as it may have changed, so if you do it you might want to wait for next month.

I tried it but am stuck as I don't have a NIN.

I saw these and thought of this thread,:D the first one is aimed at young people, but the second one applies to all ages. I'm getting concerned that inflation might go up to 4% in 2017.

Be more squirrel: How to save £60,000 by the age of 40 - BBC News

The 10 eternally true steps to financial freedom

Both articles are highly interesting. I also think that it is a multitude of small steps that make the ladder. One great example that I always followed was always to make my own meal if I was out or at work. Always make my own coffee ; Starbucks/cafés are only for a treat.

Yes, never, never give up.:up:

Both articles are highly interesting. I also think that it is a multitude of small steps that make the ladder. One great example that I always followed was always to make my own meal if I was out or at work. Always make my own coffee ; Starbucks/cafés are only for a treat.

Yes, never, never give up.:up:
:up:
I am working on getting six months of salary into my savings account. And then after that, I will shoot for a full year's worth. That would give me great peace of mind.

ETA: And I am determined to break my Starbucks habit.

Reactions: KLS52
Starbucks is life. Resistance is futile. You will latte.:p
I have gone three whole days without it; I must remain strong. :D
Seriously, though, I would like to get it down to one every other week. I want it to be more of a treat.

I have gone three whole days without it; I must remain strong. :D
Seriously, though, I would like to get it down to one every other week. I want it to be more of a treat.

What is is that you so much like about Starbucks PTree ? I didn't find their lattes particularly tasy. Have you thought about buying a Bodum coffee maker and making your own ? Just think of all those pennies piling up in your pocket.:p

What is is that you so much like about Starbucks PTree ? I didn't find their lattes particularly tasy. Have you thought about buying a Bodum coffee maker and making your own ? Just think of all those pennies piling up in your pocket.:p
I like their vanilla soy lattes a lot, I guess. It's also convenience, since I don't own an espresso machine and don't really have room for one, as I have a small kitchen. It's hard to find good-sized kitchens when you rent. I think landlords think people who rent don't cook or something. Still, it's no excuse for buying so many of them. :D

I like their vanilla soy lattes a lot, I guess. It's also convenience, since I don't own an espresso machine and don't really have room for one, as I have a small kitchen. It's hard to find good-sized kitchens when you rent. I think landlords think people who rent don't cook or something. Still, it's no excuse for buying so many of them. :D

I also like vanilla with coffee. I meant a Bodum which is a French press. It makes excellent coffee and you just have to add your own soya milk/cream. It costs only pennies to make.;)

I also like vanilla with coffee. I meant a Bodum which is a French press. It makes excellent coffee and you just have to add your own soya milk/cream. It costs only pennies to make.;)
I do use a French press at home for black coffee, but I haven't been able to mimic the latte experience. I think espresso makes all the difference with a latte.

I do use a French press at home for black coffee, but I haven't been able to mimic the latte experience. I think espresso makes all the difference with a latte.

That's strange because a French press makes excellent coffee. You do have to have the correct type of ground and make it really strong. Just add a mixture of milk and cream. I prefer my creamy coffee to Starbuck's anyday.:p

That's strange because a French press makes excellent coffee. You do have to have the correct type of ground and make it really strong. Just add a mixture of milk and cream. I prefer my creamy coffee to Starbuck's anyday.:p
Yes, I am still learning with the French press. I think the ground is too fine, so I'm working on it.

Yes, I am still learning with the French press. I think the ground is too fine, so I'm working on it.

It has to be medium ground. In the UK we get coffee that is either medium ground made for French presses or the more finely ground which is perfect for espresso makers.

It has to be medium ground. In the UK we get coffee that is either medium ground made for French presses or the more finely ground which is perfect for espresso makers.
Hmm, I just usually buy the beans and grind them myself, but maybe I should buy the ground. I will have to check and see. Thanks for all your help on the coffee front. I'm still a relative coffee noob, as I only started drinking hot coffee (black and all) just a few years ago. I was always just a tea drinker, but I find myself really enjoying dark, strong coffee.

Hmm, I just usually buy the beans and grind them myself, but maybe I should buy the ground. I will have to check and see. Thanks for all your help on the coffee front. I'm still a relative coffee noob, as I only started drinking hot coffee (black and all) just a few years ago. I was always just a tea drinker, but I find myself really enjoying dark, strong coffee.

I also grind beans as they freshly ground coffee tastes so much better. Unfortunately , the usual brand that I buy have raised their prices. I have hence gone back to buying ground coffee. I agree that coffee has to be strong to be able to obtain that delicate taste. However, I like tea to be weak.

I also grind beans as they freshly ground coffee tastes so much better. Unfortunately , the usual brand that I buy have raised their prices. I have hence gone back to buying ground coffee. I agree that coffee has to be strong to be able to obtain that delicate taste. However, I like tea to be weak.
Interesting, as I also like my tea to be strong but not so strong that it gets bitter. It's a delicate balance to know just how long to steep. :D

Interesting, as I also like my tea to be strong but not so strong that it gets bitter. It's a delicate balance to know just how long to steep. :D

I also think that it depends on the blend of tea. Ceylon and Indian tea is far better when strong. However, Chinese tea such as Earl Grey is far more delicate and needs to be weak.

I had a very strong espresso with coconut milk this morning which was delicious. It's strange as I always think of you and your Starbucks brew PTree when I have coffee !!:D

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I also think that it depends on the blend of tea. Ceylon and Indian tea is far better when strong. However, Chinese tea such as Earl Grey is far more delicate and needs to be weak.

I had a very strong espresso with coconut milk this morning which was delicious. It's strange as I always think of you and your Starbucks brew PTree when I have coffee !!:D
I love Earl Grey. :)

And that's funny that you think of me when you have coffee, lol! I often think of you as well, when I have a nice strong brew.