How to answer "why are you vegan?"

You should say that you only consume human flesh, because it's nutritious and easily obtained. After that, just quote Jonathan Swift:

I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasee, or a ragoust.

A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift

Last edited:
Another good response is Genesis 1:30

Actually it's Genesis 1:29 if we're speaking about humans. Or Daniel chapter 1 is a good one. In any case, quoting the bible as if it's completely the unalterable "word of God" is going to run into problems. Various prophets condemn animal sacrifices, and the Torah commands them. Saul/Paul approves of buying/eating animal flesh and belittles those who do not, and the gospels contain accounts of Christ eating fish. The subject is of interest to truth seeking religious people, but to the religious in general, it's the land of the cherry picked proof verse.

Reactions: Hope J.
Actually it's Genesis 1:29 if we're speaking about humans. Or Daniel chapter 1 is a good one. In any case, quoting the bible as if it's completely the unalterable "word of God" is going to run into problems. Various prophets condemn animal sacrifices, and the Torah commands them. Saul/Paul approves of buying/eating animal flesh and belittles those who do not, and the gospels contain accounts of Christ eating fish. The subject is of interest to truth seeking religious people, but to the religious in general, it's the land of the cherry picked proof verse.

Paul and Jesus both accepted the eating of flesh and clearly Paul ate it himself but I don't remember anything in the gospels that specifically points to Jesus eating it. There are accounts from perhaps questionable historical sources that Mary raised James vegetarian so it might be that Jesus didn't eat meat himself even though he was happy for the disciples to do so. Paul doesn't belittle those who do not eat flesh, although he does refer to them as "weak in conscience" if they avoid it as a matter of faith. Personal concern for animal welfare does not come into this. He also says "If eating flesh offends my brother, then I will never again eat flesh...." Christians who try to insist that veganism is wrong are going to have problems in God's coming kingdom because as Isaiah says "The wolf will lie down with the lamb.....and the lion shall eat straw like the ox" and there will be no more death or suffering, just as it was when God created us and gave us a vegan diet in the beginning. The only issue is that christians shouldn't push any particular diet as an essential faith requirement.

Anyway enough theology! I didn't intend to preach when I joined so slap my hands!!!:blush:

Reactions: Hope J.
@Brian1 you might be interested in this thread.

I'm not a big fan of Paul, btw. I wouldn't attempt to preach with me regarding Saul/Paul, I have researched him well, and he is one of the reasons I do not attend church. Not trying to scare or challenge you - I mention because most Christians cling to his theology and I do not.

• Friendly
Reactions: Brian W

I'm not a big fan of Paul, btw. I wouldn't attempt to preach with me regarding Saul/Paul, I have researched him well, and he is one of the reasons I do not attend church. Not trying to scare or challenge you - I mention because most Christians cling to his theology and I do not.
I know the Bible and its people can be confusing but dont let that deter you from going. 🐴🐶

Reactions: Brian W

I'll read later when I have done the washing. I don't really cling to any theology because I believe the disciples were fallible people and made mistakes. James for example quotes "Abraham believed God and it was credited to him as righteousness" from the wrong scripture entirely. It's the things that the disciples had in common and the person and teachings of Jesus himself that inspire me.

Christianity is all about cherry picking. That's why there are 10,875 varieties to chose from.
It shouldn't be but that's human nature sadly. We tend to see what we want to instead of being as objective as possible.:( Life is full of cherry picking, not just christianity or any other religion. Maybe this is a good place to end the thread hijack and get back on subject?

Reactions: Andy_T
I have been answering this question (together with the predecessor, "Why are you a vegetarian") for about 3 decades now and found that the easiest way for me to answer it is to say "At some point I found out that I could live very well just by eating plants, and, having the option to not harm animals, why would I not choose that option?"

Generally: I NEVER answer that question in detail during eating, if the person asking is indulging in animal food.
I possibly just shortly say that there are 3 main reasons, animal well-being, ecology, and fairness to other humans and that I would love to explain in more detail at another point in time if the other person is really interested. Discussing veganism at the lunch table never worked for me, as there is a high risk that the other person feels attacked at some point in time.

Reactions: Poppy and Hope J.
I think depending on the case we should avoid something that laughs it off completely, or just something vague, or saying health and environment when it's ethical reasons about killing and suffering. I think that is a missed chance, and not helpful to the animals. However that would depend on how confident you are, and how you are feeling, and the situation.

I think we should also avoid anything too combative, or argumentative, avoid making the other person feel too much negative emotions...

I don't get asked for reasons that often but I sometimes say "eating animals causes unnecessary suffering and death, and we shouldn't want to do that". Then add a question to get the conversation going "Why do you eat meat?" or "What would you find tricky about becoming vegetarian?"

If that feels a bit too much for the situation, I might say I don't want to kill someone personally.

One for the dinner table is "I'm vegan because I know all the dirty secrets of the animal industry, but I don't want to spoil your steak. Ask me later!"

I think this don't talk at the dinner table argument is sometimes stated as too much of a firm rule. Yes there is a down side to it, but the issue is that the conversation may not come up later at all, so it's a missed opportunity to advocate for a better world for animals. So again, look at the situation. What if someone asks you at a barbeque or buffet, and asks in an earnest way, and you can kind of tell (or know) that they are an open minded person and probably won't suddenly get mad..and there are few other people around and not everyone is listening....then go for it.

Reactions: Andy_T
It depends who I'm talking to.

If it's my mother I tell her that meat and dairy products set off my IBS. A white lie because I can't be bothered to have the debate.

To most other people I simply answer truthfully. I watched a programme called 'Veganville' because it seemed as though it would be quite interesting. That led me to watch other related programmes, which then persuaded me to turn to a plant-based diet.

That said hardly anyone ever does ask.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Andy_T
I have been answering this question (together with the predecessor, "Why are you a vegetarian") for about 3 decades now and found that the easiest way for me to answer it is to say "At some point I found out that I could live very well just by eating plants, and, having the option to not harm animals, why would I not choose that option?"

Generally: I NEVER answer that question in detail during eating, if the person asking is indulging in animal food.
I possibly just shortly say that there are 3 main reasons, animal well-being, ecology, and fairness to other humans and that I would love to explain in more detail at another point in time if the other person is really interested. Discussing veganism at the lunch table never worked for me, as there is a high risk that the other person feels attacked at some point in time.
I take this approach as well. It does come up a lot during dinner, so I say the same. I'll be happy to discuss ... after dinner. :)

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
It does depend on the context. If it is someone being defensive and annoyed and looking for an argument, I'll handle it one way. If it's someone sincerely wondering then a completely different approach is called for.

But the real reason, for me, is that I've spent enough time with all varieties of animals and spend a lot of time thinking about it, and it made me realize that they are here for their own purposes and not for us to use as we wish. As Alice Walker said,

"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for whites or women for men."

I also find the biblical and religious justifications for eating flesh just excuses rather than good reasons. If God gave us dominion over the animals then it means that we are responsible for them, not that we can abuse them as we wish. After all, God has dominion over us just as we have dominion over the animals and we certainly wouldn't want to think that that give God the right to abuse us as he wishes. Rather, he is responsible for us. Not to just throw a bunch of quote at people but,

Why Should Man Expect His Prayer For Mercy To Be Heard By What Is Above Him When He Shows No Mercy To What Is Under Him » Pierre Troubetzkoy

And, even if the Bible does give us permission to eat meat, that doesn't mean we have to. The Bible gives permission for a lot of things that we consider completely unacceptable in the modern world.

Reactions: Jamie in Chile
I don't get asked this question very often, but it does happen in my dreams occasionally. It usually starts with someone asking me, "Why do you not eat meat?". I don't respond and soon after an overwhelming wave of grief overtakes me.

In reality though, most of the time I get asked this I just say it's healthier, but if I were to fully explain it would include something like:

"The reason why I do not consume intensive farmed animals is because the extent of suffering and cruelty is unacceptable to me. I want others to do the same because I believe the extent of suffering and cruelty would also be unacceptable to them if they knew the things I know now."

• Friendly
Reactions: Val