How to answer "why are you vegan?"

VeganVeteran

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've posted the latest episode of my vlog which opens up a discussion on difficult questions. As an example I've started with "why are you vegan?" It may sound simple but it can be difficult to answer this 100 times over in a succinct way that avoids conflict. Let me know what you think. Episode here...

Nat xx

I rarely get asked this directly either - once, in memory, and it gave me an opportunity to elaborate the reasons before the subject was eventually changed most likely to an overload of cognitive dissonance. This opportunity did come, after all, at a dining table where everyone but me was eating dead animal corpses and their secretions.

It isn't really a difficult question to me, although more so personal one.

Essentially all you need to do is provide at least valid reasoning consistent with your value system to answer it. Meaning unless you put no or little thought regarding what you value and have have very little knowledge on the topic to not base it on evidence of some sort you should know the reason.

It isn't really a difficult question to me, although more so personal one.

Essentially all you need to do is provide at least valid reasoning consistent with your value system to answer it. Meaning unless you put no or little thought regarding what you value and have have very little knowledge on the topic to not base it on evidence of some sort you should know the reason.
So, what are your reasons?

Reactions: Andy_T
So, what are your reasons?

First and foremost not being fond of idea of unnecessarily killing animals just to obtain food out of it. In my view if something or someone isn't doing anything wrong then you should just leave it to live own life, unless you absolutely have to kill it to ensure high priority objectives such as survival. As research does seem support notion that at least some people can make it on a vegan diet and be healthy and I can afford it, there are very little reason for me not go vegan. Then there are additional benefits such as some environmental benefits and lower risks of some health issues, such as cardiovascular diseases among vegans.

Reactions: Andy_T and Gaspard
It's good if you can tailor your answer to the person asking the question. This takes some personal skill - I don't have it.

If I'm at work, I don't discuss veganism - it's difficult to remain professional.

Sometimes, I tell people that veganism is one of the ways that a person can contribute to peace. That way, I'm not accusing them of anything, and I'm acknowledging the validity of their existing peaceful contributions.

Last edited:
"Stupid people like me are easily brainwashed by PeTA. Please feel free to try to deprogram me."

Where I live, I think that would work as a pick-up line.

In my conversations with people about it, which numbers in the single digits, I usually say , " It works for me and it makes doing the dishes so dang (edited) easy."

Sometimes, I tell people that veganism is one of the ways that a person can contribute to peace. That way, I'm not accusing them of anything, and I'm acknowledging the validity of their existing peaceful contributions.
This is what I aim for but you have worded it so much better than I could.:)

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks for all the responses all. @David3 agree that it's harder at work. I guess if you're able to answer authentically and without fear of judgement, that's how you know you've got a good workplace!

To be honest I don't receive this question often, since I don't feel like bringing up the subject with most people. Unlike those who are enthusiastic about convincing everyone they're acquainted with to become vegetarian/vegan, I choose to talk to people who are already somewhat inclined to take the path, whether it's because they love animals in general or they care about the environment.

When I do get asked by a regular person who doesn't seem like an ideal candidate for persuading, I usually just say that there exists health benefits in becoming vegan, which is the briefest answer I know that will satisfy their curiosity.

The best response is "why are you a carnivore?"
Yes that is a very nice retort... but it's basically asking for an argument, depending on the person's stubbornness and beliefs you're gonna get a whole range of answers, from "god made animals for us to eat" or "meat is tasty and everyone eats it!", it can get stressful, which is why I choose a more universal answer that won't offend anyone.

"god made animals for us to eat"
I would reply "my god didn't so which god are you referring to?" If they are referring to the christian God (i.e.my god), then they are going to have a scripture battle on their hands and I won't be the one who comes of worst!!!:sf:

• Haha
As I’ve only been Vegan this year I get asked a lot , if I know the person fairly well my standard response is “ I’m trying to save the world for idiots like you “ 😀

• Haha