How bad is the coronavirus?

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
The coronavirus is a potential health hazard. However, it is nothing compared to the risks of eating meat.

Before I went vegan, I instructed my kids to never ever touch meat products. I did not even want them to touch the meat products when we were in the store. The raw meat in grocery stores is not safe in my opinion due to potentially dangerous bacteria. There is a serious issue with cross contamination of meat products. Whenever I put my raw fruits on the conveyor belt at the grocery store, I wonder about cross-contamination from meat products.

I saw numerous nasty unsanitary conditions when I worked at restaurants many years ago. The only place I ever worked that seemed reasonably safe was a small Mom & Pop restaurant called Demeyers' Country kitchen. Unfortunately, the Demeyers sold the restaurant and retired about 25 years ago. They were good, honest, hardworking people.

I always washed my hands with soap about ten times while I was cooking with meat to make sure everyone was safe. I can live with getting myself seriously ill. However, I can not live with getting other people sick. The same rule applies to the coronavirus. I fear far more about spreading it than getting it. I am 52 and not 22. Thus, I have lived long enough.

I might have an unnecessary fear of raw meat. Still, the fear is very real to me.

Eating meat causes diabetes, stroke, and food poisoning. "Eat to live. Never live to eat."

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
I've never met a late bloomer who shared that opinion.

It's a very humble opinion!

COVID is pretty serious. It can affect anyone. If you get seriously ill, you can wind up with huge hospital bills to pay off, a long recovery process, and even permanent disabilities. So even if you're satisfied with your current lifespan, consider the impact it could have on your family if you happened to be one of the unlucky ones.

Our world is a refractive intelligence that will subdue the ignorant perpetuation of supporting violence by indoctrinated consumers in one way, many - or another... If you consider Coronavirus dangerous, it is. But principally to the standardized behaviour that gears the commodification of the bodies and bodily substances of others.

Our world is a refractive intelligence that will subdue the ignorant perpetuation of supporting violence by indoctrinated consumers in one way, many - or another... If you consider Coronavirus dangerous, it is. But principally to the standardized behaviour that gears the commodification of the bodies and bodily substances of others.

The mortality rate of a viral infection is not a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Careful Hog! You're downplaying the super deadly common flu (this is what coronavirus is) by comparing it to meat eating and are therefore questioning the premise on which justifies all sorts of heavy handed measures by governments including the collapsing of economies, future plans for "vaccination passports" and snitch-on-a-neighbor-contact-tracing and other measures! How un-herd like of you. Don't be a black sheep, join the collective so we can do virtual hugs while social distancing between continents while worshiping the WHO and it's main funder - the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - who are the default world health leaders and who also happened to be prophets of recent years who predicted all this. All hail!

• Haha
Reactions: Hog
@ Nekodaiden

You just told a very sophisticated joke. I had to read the post three times to understand it.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
The coronavirus is a potential health hazard. However, it is nothing compared to the risks of eating meat.
The raw meat in grocery stores is not safe in my opinion due to potentially dangerous bacteria.

The grocery store Food Basics we go to the meat area is horrible, often gone off, even the deli packaged meat sometimes is green and no one in the store takes the rot away. Don't no why the Beyond Meat is in that area.

They have a lot of vegan and vegetarian elsewhere in the store.

It's a very humble opinion!

COVID is pretty serious. It can affect anyone. If you get seriously ill, you can wind up with huge hospital bills to pay off, a long recovery process, and even permanent disabilities. So even if you're satisfied with your current lifespan, consider the impact it could have on your family if you happened to be one of the unlucky ones.
I would prefer my loved ones alive, even with hospital bills.

Reactions: Calliegirl
The grocery store Food Basics we go to the meat area is horrible, often gone off, even the deli packaged meat sometimes is green and no one in the store takes the rot away. Don't no why the Beyond Meat is in that area.

Beyond Meat is sold in the meat department in order to catch the attention of omnivores and flexitarians. They are the main consumers of Beyond Meat products.

Listening to a Podcast yesterday, Intelligence ², and one of the experts brought up a point I hadn't heard or thought of before. *

It's a known fact that many viruses cause cancer. ** And of course we don't know if it's true for COVID19. It's too new. But people who catch the coronavirus may come down with some kind of cancer later. Maybe decades later.

They brought this up as just another reason that this "herd immunity" strategy being discussed would not only not work but could have dangerous side effects.

* ‎Intelligence Squared: Taming Covid and Preventing the Next Pandemic, with Mark Honigsbaum and Sir David King on Apple Podcasts

**Viruses and Cancer | CancerQuest

• Informative
Beyond Meat is sold in the meat department in order to catch the attention of omnivores and flexitarians.

Omnivores are not interested in something twice the price made of pea protein and coconut oil. It's mainly newbie vegans and flexan's drifting over there, which may make them decide to actually buy some meat instead.

Omnivores are not interested in something twice the price made of pea protein and coconut oil. It's mainly newbie vegans and flexan's drifting over there, which may make them decide to actually buy some meat instead.

I don't think that is true. There was some market researched that showed that fake meat sold better when it was in the meat aisle. same thing for fake cheese.

when Impossible and Beyond were new and i didn't see them in the area where they keep the other fake meats. when I didn't see them there I did look for them in the meat aisle. they weren't there either.

My Trader Joe's does keep the fake cheeses right just to the side of the real cheeses. I find it a little inconvenient. they are all the way on the other side of the store from the other refrigerated vegan products.

A lot of shoppers are buying fake meats out of curiosity. so putting them among the other meat products will help shoppers looking for meat to see them. And many omnivores are buying these products because there is so much press saying they should eat less meat - for their health and the environment.

I don't think that is true.

I'm going by omnivores I know and see, they have no interest. one store now freezes Beyond Meat stuff and away from their meat, they want their customers to buy their meat.

A lot of shoppers are buying fake meats out of curiosity, many omnivores are buying these products because there is so much press saying they should eat less meat

I wouldn't say a lot or many, not from what I see and hear from, I'd say some and usually women.

Reactions: Lou
Reactions: David3
I'm going by omnivores I know and see, they have no interest. one store now freezes Beyond Meat stuff and away from their meat, they want their customers to buy their meat.

I wouldn't say a lot or many, not from what I see and hear from, I'd say some and usually women.
Not sure what you mean by "their meat", Beyond Meat is also "their" product.
I've had more omnis tell me how much they like Beyond Burgers, quite a few say they choose it over beef when they eat out and it's on the menu. Same with Dunkin' breakfast sandwich with the sausage

They put it with the meats, along with some very deceptive packaging that looks like a veg product but just meat 'infused' with plants (something like that)

Reactions: Lou
While in some ways I agree with your point, in others I must do my scientific duty in pointing out to you that "how bad is COVID-19" is neither a philosophical debate, nor is it a question for people to answer whom do not have a background in medicine, or at the very least in the hard sciences.

What you're citing is called "anecdotal evidence." From the grocery store you have described, it sounds quite rural and small town, in perhaps a more conservative area. Yes, these types of places often situate Beyond Meat and other products in a separate area from animal products, as they continue with the mentality that not eating meat is nothing more than a philosophical or even religious choice so they think it appeals more to vegetarians and vegans to "purify" their products away from the meat area, whilst not imposing on meat eaters with a moral philosophy that opposes their own.