Homeless Vegan

Infernadraxia

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello friends, I hope this message finds you well.
I've been stuck at a homeless shelter in SLC Utah for about a year now and it's begun to affect my physical and mental well being quite intensely.
I've applied for food stamps and housing assistance along with every other possible program available and am stuck playing the waiting game until a new state ID arrives (my wallet was stolen).
Bed bugs and body lice are running rampant. I am constantly seeking employment. I was let go from a vegan gig recently because I accidentally let my living situation slip. Utah's fire-at-will laws are pretty messed up.

I've been struggling to eat lately as I do not have a dime to my name and am having a nervous breakdown almost daily. Absolutely any contributions are eternally appreciated.

I love you guys with all my heart. VEGAN POWER!!!!

Cashapp: $Infernadraxia1

Welcome to the forum, @Infernadraxia.

I sympathize with your difficult situation and wish you all the best. What do you eat normally?
I guess I can not truly picture your situation, but think that it is likely very difficult.

Keep your spirit up!

Best regards from a friend in Germany,
Andy

• Friendly
Reactions: Infernadraxia
Hi, Infirmadraxia

First of all, we must take care of ourselves first, then our neighbor, then our community, then our Earth. If you have to have something made with animal products, try to minimize it and get what you need nutritionally. Not what you want to hear or do, I have no doubt.

Have you looked up any vegetarian organizations in your area, to see if they can direct you? Some may have been homeless also.

If you have a Seventh Day Adventist church near you, you might consider switching faiths. They eat only vegetarian, often vegan and host frequent potlucks. They may also be willing to help you in your situation also, with donations, meals, referrals and groceries.

I've been blessed to have remained housed, only because I have a birth family who will not let me down. I used to live with a homeless person though (hard to explain) and followed him on his route sometimes. The soup kitchens plop your food down unceremoniously, with no accommodation for allergies, preferences or vegan options, 'take it or leave it.' It's a shame, because they got into that position to help people, yet still see the homeless as 'those' people. They are not aware of their own prejudice.

If none of this helps you, I am sorry. But let me know after trying and researching the above, and if necessary, I'll look up resources, begin to network and see if I can help. I've put up a vegan table before, and the meat eaters, as well as the vegans all loved it!

Please let me know if you need me to do anything. I hope your situation changes for the better.