Different types of Vegans and Vegan Diets

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

I thought this was a well thought out and researched article.

although, I tend to think that there is only one kind of vegan - the ethical vegan. Everything else is something else.

However, I am a firm believer in not becoming too rigid in my thinking. Although I've been accused of being too flexible as well. This article could be a jumping off point for a good discussion.

I haven't finished reading the comments yet but when I do I might add one. Let us know if you have added any comments.

One thing that popped into my head is they ought to have a category for what I call the fussy vegan. That is the vegan who refuses food for sort of extremest reasons. Like it has touched non-vegan food. Maybe also add a category for those of us who sometimes describe ourselves as "almost vegan" because we aren't 100%.

Reactions: Kathy Lauren
By the time I got to the low carb/high carb vegans I was starting to think there were too many categories.

I don´t buy the environmental vegan in a way because I think that´s very rare. People always say people go veg for one of three reasons ethical, heath or environmental but it´s so rare you ever hear anyone chose the environment as their main argument. It´s more of a supporting argument.

Environmental and health vegans I suspect are either not strictly vegans at all (since environmental and health concerns don´t require to abstain from animal products completely). However there are many health vegans and I think it´s a good thing.

I think most vegans are ethical vegans in the West, and perhaps mostly religious vegans in Asia. Although it´s also debatable whether religion and ethics are 2 separate things. A religion is to a large extent a system of ethics even if that isn´t often the defining or central characteristic of a religion.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
By the time I got to the low carb/high carb vegans I was starting to think there were too many categories.

Yes. Most everyone here is a high carb vegan. but then there are those guys who think Keto is compatible with veganism. so they eat pretty different from the rest of us.
I don´t buy the environmental vegan in a way because I think that´s very rare. People always say people go veg for one of three reasons ethical, heath or environmental but it´s so rare you ever hear anyone chose the environment as their main argument. It´s more of a supporting argument.

Yes. and those who cite environmental (or even health reasons) are more likely flexatarian and not vegan.
Although it´s also debatable whether religion and ethics are 2 separate things. A religion is to a large extent a system of ethics even if that isn´t often the defining or central characteristic of a religion.
I'm sort of anti religious so I see religions as just a set of superstiions. Is it ethics that stop you from eating meat when its against a rule? and you have to follow the rules to go to heaven. Is it ethics that keeps you from killing animals because that cow could have been Uncle Eddie in its previous life?

When we're assuming that all vegans are vegan because of ethical reasons (environmental reason could be under the umbrella of ethical as well - it's ethical to protect the environment) - I think the vegan diet can be quite diverse. Let's just mention junk food vegans and WFPB vegans.

Reactions: bEt
When we're assuming that all vegans are vegan because of ethical reasons (environmental reason could be under the umbrella of ethical as well - it's ethical to protect the environment) - I think the vegan diet can be quite diverse. Let's just mention junk food vegans and WFPB vegans.
Junk food vegans were not on the list and maybe should have been. WFPB was on the list. I just looked at it again I realized the list is broken up into two parts: reason to be vegan; type of food eaten.

I am an ethical/varied vegan diet vegan. :)

I also took a few more minutes to look at the comments. One thing that struck me as unusual is that the author responded to a lot of the comments.

Another thing is the author is a "Certified Vegan Nutritionist". That doesn't mean anything here - but she lives in Germany so maybe its something there.

Seems a bit complicated. I don't have any particular view on what should be in my diet in regard to combinations of food. I am not a foodie so I kinda just eat stuff. As a person who wants to make ethical choices in life in regard to other animals, I try to do things like buy cosmetic products not tested on animals. But I accept that probably that makes no difference to anything, the world being so complex and interwoven. Foodwise I am pretty uncertain on what's best but I generally try to avoid animal products even though I have no idea if this causes more or less harm or doesn't make any difference to anything. By and large, I just eat what seems to fit my feelings about me in the world. In the context of the article, I think there is an ethical point of view and everything flows from that, whatever kind of diet someone wants to take on board.

But I accept that probably that makes no difference to anything, the world being so complex and interwoven.
I know what you mean. I don't know or really care if things that I do make a difference. well not in the big picture. Sometimes I remember that in the universe I'm probably like a grain of sand.

I guess I'm a selfish hedonist because the reason I do things is to maximize pleasure or minimize pain. I feel bad for the bunnies, chickens, pigs, and cows. So I feel better when I know I'm not actually hurting them.

Another thing is the author is a "Certified Vegan Nutritionist". That doesn't mean anything here - but she lives in Germany so maybe its something there.
Not really. We have something called Diätassistent (dietician) and Ernährungsberater (nutritionist) and we have Oecotrophologen. I don't know what the author's correct title would be.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
Not really. We have something called Diätassistent (dietician) and Ernährungsberater (nutritionist) and we have Oecotrophologen. I don't know what the author's correct title would be.
Lost in translation?

If I actually cared I could ask her. she seems to be a good replier.