Home remedies

Elodie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone!

I was hoping to get some advice on how to remedy some very uncomfortable bloating (sorry not very pleasant!) during the transition, and how long does it last? I am at the very beginning of this new journey and apart from some headaches (I think because I am having caffeine withdrawal) I have been feeling really wonderful....... apart from the bloating.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Elodie x

Firstly, keep very well hydrated. Keeping hydrated will help your body to excrete the toxins from animal products. Make sure you are getting daily exercise. You should be making yourself sweat every day but rehydrating yourself afterwards. Your urine should be clear, and there should be plenty of it.

I also recommend drinking peppermint tea or warm water with a drop of peppermint oil in it. I also know lots and lots of people who swear by a warm glass of lemon water in the morning for digestive issues. Also cut down on the salt, which can worsen water retention and - therefore - cause bloating. Celery salt is a good alternative.

You can substitute the caffeine for barley or bamboo - I recommend barley - which might help to ease the withdrawal.

Lastly consider whether you are intolerant or allergic to new foods that you might be trying as a result of your change of diet. For instance, I almost never ate soy products before going vegan and then suddenly, after transitioning, I was hit with awful stomach ache for several months... until I realised it was because I was soy intolerant!

Animal products have a habit of lining the intestines without ever fully getting excreted - especially dairy. Bloating and digestive pain is often caused by the intestinal tract working overtime to move the waste along, or simply getting a bit 'backed up' which animal products are notorious for. Having given your body a bit of a break, it might be trying its best to be rid of this waste once and for all. In other words, the transition is like a natural cleansing of the colon and the pain is your body telling you that it hasn't thanked you for your previous diet and please don't do it again (well, I thought that was what my intestines were telling me anyway).

You will find that your digestive system - especially - will 're-sensitise' after having been essentially sedated so long by animal products, once you are several weeks or a couple of months into your vegan diet (at the latest). Coating the tracts prohibits the right messages being sent around the body properly - oops - and now that you're clearing that gunk away you can probably hear/feel what's going on LOUD AND CLEAR. I had this too - it's quite common, as far as I can tell, for new vegans... but it does come to a stop. Maybe this is a bit anecdotal but the stories are all the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, keep very well hydrated. Keeping hydrated will help your body to excrete the toxins from animal products. Make sure you are getting daily exercise. You should be making yourself sweat every day but rehydrating yourself afterwards. Your urine should be clear, and there should be plenty of it.

I also recommend drinking peppermint tea or warm water with a drop of peppermint oil in it. I also know lots and lots of people who swear by a warm glass of lemon water in the morning for digestive issues. Also cut down on the salt, which can worsen water retention and - therefore - cause bloating. Celery salt is a good alternative.

You can substitute the caffeine for barley or bamboo - I recommend barley - which might help to ease the withdrawal.

Lastly consider whether you are intolerant or allergic to new foods that you might be trying as a result of your change of diet. For instance, I almost never ate soy products before going vegan and then suddenly, after transitioning, I was hit with awful stomach ache for several months... until I realised it was because I was soy intolerant!

Animal products have a habit of lining the intestines without every fully getting excreted - especially dairy. Bloating and digestive pain is often caused by the intestinal tract working overtime to move the waste along, or simply getting a bit 'backed up' which animal products are notorious for. Having given your body a bit of a break, it might be trying its best to be rid of this waste once and for all. In other words, the transition is like a natural cleansing of the colon and the pain is your body telling you that it hasn't thanked you for your previous diet and please don't do it again (well, I thought that was what my intestines were telling me anyway).

You will find that your digestive system - especially - will 're-sensitise' after having been essentially sedated so long by animal products, once you are several weeks or a couple of months into your vegan diet (at the latest). Coating the tracts prohibits the right messages being sent around the body properly - oops - and now that you're clearing that gunk away you can probably hear/feel what's going on LOUD AND CLEAR. I had this too - it's quite common, as far as I can tell, for new vegans... but it does come to a stop. Maybe this is a bit anecdotal but the stories are all the same.

Thank you so much- really helpful!!

I've been vegan for eight weeks and I am noticing that my system is settling down now. I went from vegetarian to vegan overnight and so there was a period of adjustment, but now only the odd day is uncomfortable, but as Winterfrost says, maybe those days I haven't drunk enough. I'm making a conscious effort to drink more. Now we have the Big Berkey Water Filter, drinking water is a pleasure again.

Try to have two raw apples each day ... I also find ginger tea helps. Everything the others have said is excellent advice. If it is really bad I'd just add "avoiding beans, capsicums and brassicas" ... then gradually reintroduce them.

Allegedly the average person creates 2 litres of digestive gas every day, or so one article stated. You're not alone. The meat eaters are doing it too. Does this help? Hope so.

I also noticed bloating, gas and headaches during my transition. I am hoping it has all settled down now.

When transitioning to veganism Winter.Frost's advise is perfect! :) What worked for us also was really giving your body time to adjust by taking it easier, going for more low impact sport and exercise, waking up in the morning with some lemon and ginger in warm water and sleeping more while our bodies got adjusted. This period of time probably won't last that long, but it really depends person to person.

On our website we also have a Vegan Q & A section that helps will some topics relating to this, ie how to be a healthy vegan and why vegans need to eat more that might be helpful.

The Vegan Edition Team
The Vegan Edition

Reactions: winter.frost