Hitler was a vegetarian

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've heard various opinions on this subject, but today I came across this newspaper that presents new (t0 me) eyewitness accounts on Der Führer's diet:

Adolf Hitler's only surviving food taster has claimed that the Fuhrer was a dedicated vegetarian during his stay at the "Wolf's Lair" in World War II.

Margot Woelk, 95, said that Hitler ate only the freshest fruit and vegetables during the two and a half years that she was forced to check his food for traces of poison.
Read more: Hitler was vegetarian: Fuhrer's food taster (Indian Express)

The article also mentions that there was a Hitler Jugend manual from the 1930s that promoted soya beans, which it called "Nazi beans".

Nazi beans? Oh, we'll never hear the end of this. Nazi milk, chocolate nazi milk, nazigurt, nazu, nazi nuts, nazi cheeze, nazi mince...

Reactions: Tom L. and Irina
This is one of the reasons why I find the whole idea of lists of famous people who are/were veg*n irritating. Celebrities tend to fall off the veg*n wagon and then go on to talk at length about how difficult and unhealthy it is, and then you also have these stupid discussions about Hitler, etc.

Nixon was a Quaker - so what? How does that fact in any way color Quakerism as a religion, or how other Quakers conduct themselves?

I read an article suggesting he was a flexitarian who was fond of sausages and stuffed pigeon and would have them as a treat every now and then.

I read an article suggesting he was a flexitarian who was fond of sausages and stuffed pigeon and would have them as a treat every now and then.
The article I posted seems to say he was a vegetarian while he lived in Wolf's Lair. Maybe he had to give it up when he had to retreat to the bunker.

Well, he was also a dog lover who had the poison he intended to use at the end tested on his dog. Everything's relative.

ETA: That afternoon, Hitler expressed doubts about the cyanide capsules he had received through Heinrich Himmler's SS.[24] To verify the capsules' potency, Hitler ordered Dr. Werner Haase to test them on his dog Blondi, and the dog died as a result.[25] Hitler became completely inconsolable.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blondi

If Hitler was a vegetarian, then at least that says something about how a diverse bunch vegetarians can be!

How's that for positive attitude! I suppose if anybody comments about vegetarians all being left wing, he provides an excellent counter example.

I know you're working on your SEO but the Hitler thing, really?

I know you're working on your SEO but the Hitler thing, really?
Yes, but it's a perfectly legitimate topic! It's an argument often used against vegetarianism (even though "guilty by association" is a logical fallacy), so it's something we ought to discuss. Also, the article I linked to is a recent one with new information, which makes it even more relevant as a topic for discussion.

Reactions: sleepydvdr
I still think the best response to "Hitler was a vegetarian" is "Osama Bin Laden was a meat eater". Or you can use Charles Manson, or Son of Sam, or ANY other serial killer in history.

--Fromper
No, Charles Manson's vegetarian. :p

evilvegssmall.jpg

Don't get excited folks, that site is a parody. ;)

Reactions: Second Summer
No, Charles Manson's vegetarian. :p

Don't get excited folks, that site is a parody. ;)
Is he really? I had no idea. Given that most mass murderers tortured and killed animals as kids, before moving on to humans later in life, I find this surprising.

--Fromper