Hitler was a vegetarian

While a lot of these "Hitler Finds Out" videos are pretty silly, this one actually has a serious message and story behind it.
[...] As Berry showed, ham was just one of many "exceptions" Hitler made, some less known than others, to his public persona as an ascetic. Of course, to whatever extent Hitler was or was not a true vegetarian is irrelevant to any moral argument about vegetarianism. There is a much clearer record of him eschewing, and working to stamp out the practice of, smoking cigarettes - in what way does that reflect on today's anti-cigarette crusade? [...]
Full article: Video: Hitler finds out he's vegetarian (Vance Lehmkuhl in The V for Vegan blog on philly.com, Jan 11, 2014)

Reactions: kazyeeqen
"Hitler was a vegetarian" seems to be the veg*n equivalent of Godwin's law.

Just to chime in, I have read articles saying that Hitler was originally very fond of meat and sausages, but that he (and consequently those who had to work with him) was suffering from flatulences whenever he ate meat.

For that reasons he mainly ate vegetables and ate meat only as special treat (so he was a health vegetarian).

The Nazi propaganda machine also tried to stylize Hitler as an ascetic hero and his vegetarianism was used in this propaganda. I very well understand if at some point in time he maybe completely lost his taste for meat (same thing happened to me after a month of not eating it), I mean, if you can live on a vegetarian diet, why should a sane (or even an insane, as in that case) person not do it?

He was also a non-smoker :)

Best regards,
Andy

Reactions: Second Summer
I don't really know where the truth lies about Hitler and vegetarianism.
I think it is possible he was an ethical vegetarian. Just because he liked liver dumplings, doesn't mean he could never be a vegetarian, at some point.
Germany does seem to have had laws against vivisection.
I do think it is possible to have cared about animals, and still have millions of people killed.
That Wiki article seems very one sided though.

Reactions: Second Summer
In a weird twist ...

Hitler's wrong doings and his possible vegetarian are a source of great fascination.

Whilst ...

Richard Attenborough's 3 hour epic of Gandhi's life ignores the great good doer's vegetarianism almost completely.

But vegetarianism is part of the culture in India, and his religion; whereas vegetarianism would be quite unusual in Europe in the 1940s, and for someone who is a right-wing dictator who had millions of people killed.

PBS has a show on Wednesday's almost every week featuring the Nazi's. He may still get more attention than the UK's prime minister. One day we'll move on and focus on other people, but it certainly hasn't happened yet.

You know, rumor has it that Jack the Ripper was an avid water drinker.

And the Tiptoe Through the Tulips rapist wore trousers!!!

Therefore, these are clearly both things which should be associated with depravity.

;-)

Yes, everybody knows now, that he really loved beef liver. But he considered himself a vegetarian because he was afraid of different bacteria typeso_O, which could be found in meat, ecpecially raw meat...

His doctor diagnosed him with a medical condition of the intestines and said he should not be eating flesh accordingly but Hitler opted instead to guzzle dead pig even though it made him rather unwell.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can work out, he was ....well some of the time . I read a book written by Traudl Junge , she was his PA from 1943 on wards (she wrote his last will ) and she made comments through out the book in regard Hitlers vegetarianism .