Help?

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
my friend is interested in going vegetarian but needs cheap, easy recipes that taste good (for a omnivore of course) Can someone help me help her? lol
My food tastes good but guess what? It isn't cheap at all. Maybe someone can recommend a cookbook that has easy, cheap, tasty vegetarian recipes? I could use one too ;) I don't know how to cook, either. And I've been wanting to cut down on the cost of groceries.
I'm not saying eating veg*n is expensive, I'm saying the way I personally eat is expensive.
She hates rice and beans too. So that's not an option. Which is kind of a shame, cause rice and beans are cheap, easy and tasty. at least to me... I love beans!
She likes broccoli, coliflower, brustle sprouts, carrots, onions, mushrooms, green beans, corn, potatoes, spinach, nuts
If you could help us out I will love you forever. :smitten:

What about things like Lentils? When cooked in a sauce like curry or 'Sheperds' pies (in place of fake meat) its quite nice as they take on the flavour of the meal. Theres also stirfrys you could add nuts to and the ever reliable pasta dishes...Something as simple as roasted veg served with garlic pasta...Im just listing some of the meals my Omni guy likes...Also stews(which I add beans to) soups and chilli?
Whats her feelings on rice style products such as Couscous?

I'm 99% sure she never tried couscous or lentils.

Does that mean she wont?
If shes unwilling to try stuff then theres little you CAN suggest. :/

I hated kidney beans, lentils and chickpeas when I went veggie. Now I use them in alomst everything I make.

ETA-I didnt see your list of things she will eat...Its too white to read without highlighting lol.

I don't think she'd be unwilling to try new things. but sometimes when she tries something I feel she dislikes it, but doesn't say she doesn't like it.. which doesn't help. I did become less picky when I went vegetarian too. I actually forgot that I disliked rice and beans before I went veggie, huh o_o

Unfortunely in my opinion being veggie or vegan means having to try a lot of new things...I read somewhere that it takes at least 10 times of trying a food until it becomes confirmed whether we like or dont like something.

That is true, she would have to try more foods.. Hopefully she can find vegetarian foods she likes, or be willing to try something more than once. Maybe she'd have to make a slow transition.. idk.. I took the fast route when it came to meat, slow when it came to dairy and eggs.

I am the same..meat and fish over night...dairy is taking longer.
I dont know how much fake meat costs over your side of the world but we can get good fake sausages and ground 'beef' for less than £3 a packet.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-...2414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349264384&sr=8-1

You can't beat that one for cheap and easy. However it is very heavy on dairy and eggs. Most of the recipes are easily veganised but a new veggie wouldn't do that, so if someone used this book a lot they would still be taking in a lot of animal products. It also has some general advice in the beginning about what to keep in your store cupboard, how to cook safely and what kitchenware to buy. Ideal for someone that is new to cooking.

I am the same..meat and fish over night...dairy is taking longer.
I dont know how much fake meat costs over your side of the world but we can get good fake sausages and ground 'beef' for less than £3 a packet.
Veg*n alternatives can be expensive, but not always. Like for example I was looking at dairy and non dairy ice creams, they were the same size and price. When I went to omni restaurants, the meal would be about 10$ a plate.. now I go to veg*n restaurants, and the price is the same. About 10$ a plate. I noticed veggie dogs are WAY more expensive though, 4.99 for 5 dogs... plus tax, which is a murder.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetarian-...2414/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349264384&sr=8-1

You can't beat that one for cheap and easy. However it is very heavy on dairy and eggs. Most of the recipes are easily veganised but a new veggie wouldn't do that, so if someone used this book a lot they would still be taking in a lot of animal products. It also has some general advice in the beginning about what to keep in your store cupboard, how to cook safely and what kitchenware to buy. Ideal for someone that is new to cooking.
Nice, I'll check this out. damn, only 5 pounds (8 dollars) but it's 20$ (12 pounds) lol (with shipping)

Im probably the worst to give advice as Im a 3 trick cook. I have 3 basic meals I change around with different veggies/pulses(or other high protien sources)

Its hard to know what to say. How about having a peek in the Food threads and seeing if anyones meal ideas seem like something your friend might like...Ive gotten a few 'ones to try' from the 'Whats on the menu' thread :)

I was actually thinking about that a few minutes ago. xD

I think food blogs can be really helpful, they often discuss things in more detail with the recipes. Theveganstoner.com and gormandizewithus.com (this one is QiTan' s from this site. :))

Reactions: thefadedone
lol "the vegan stoner"
I think the food blogs will help