Help me with my soup recipe please

Wolfie

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Posted this at VB and am doing it here too.

I went searching online for a recipe for coconut curry soup, trying to replicate soup I had at a local Thai restaurant. The end result was good but it didn't seem coconut-y enough. My recipe took 1 can of coconut milk. I was thinking of using 2 next time, then doubling the spices. But I don't want to waste a bunch of expensive ingredients if it's not going to turn out. So do you think doubling the milk would give me the coconut flavor I am looking for?

What I would do then is start with two cans of coconut milk and about half the broth that the recipe calls for. Slowly add more broth until it reaches the desired level of coconutty taste, and then stop. Don't worry about adding water. Also, if you have an Asian or Chinese market in the area, I find that the canned coconut milk from such a market is both tastier and cheaper than coconut milk found in supermarkets.

You can always add broth at the end of the cooking process, so concentrate on getting a bigger proportion of the coconut milk starting out - it's easy to dilute, difficult to concentrate the flavor.

Ok, thanks! I did buy coconut milk from the Indian grocery store today, so hopefully I got the "good" stuff. I cannot believe how much cheaper stuff is there, especially spices.