Hello! I'm looking for vegan recipes

Nicko McBride

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
Hi, I've just joined this site, so just introducing myself. I'm not vegan but my friend is and I'm looking for things that I can cook for her because most of my cooking repertoire involves dairy. What's the nicest vegan meal you've ever had?
Nick

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
Hi, I've just joined this site, so just introducing myself. I'm not vegan but my friend is and I'm looking for things that I can cook for her because most of my cooking repertoire involves dairy. What's the nicest vegan meal you've ever had?
Nick

Hello Nick....

Welcome to the forum!

I have many favorites, but this one particularly, if your friend likes mushrooms, is absolutely epic. Check out the video and see for yourself. Even meat eaters will drool watching this. Furthermore, aside from looking awesome, it's amazingly delicious. Mushrooms work very well for a center piece on your dinner plate, in place of meat. This dish is awesome with a few classic BBQ sides, like corn on the cob, potato salad, various pickles, coleslaw, etc.

Hello Nick....

Welcome to the forum!

I have many favorites, but this one particularly, if your friend likes mushrooms, is absolutely epic. Check out the video and see for yourself. Even meat eaters will drool watching this. Furthermore, aside from looking awesome, it's amazingly delicious. Mushrooms work very well for a center piece on your dinner plate, in place of meat. This dish is awesome with a few classic BBQ sides, like corn on the cob, potato salad, various pickles, coleslaw, etc.

Thank you veganite! I don't know if my friend likes mushrooms - I'll ask. I love mushrooms though so this appeals to me at any rate. Where do you get mushrooms in a cluster like that? I've only ever seen them sold as a collection of random wild mushrooms, not all joined on a stem. [Update: they do have some in the big Tesco near me by the look of it]

• Friendly
Reactions: Veganite
Hi, welcome. Love your Avatar.

How is your cooking skills? How elaborate or simple do you want to be?
Which of the following do you have?
air fryer
crock pot
rice cooker
instaPot
immersion blender
stir fry pan
pizza pan

Have you ever made a stir fry at home? or a pizza?

Meanwhile it's usually Easy to replace dairy. Plant milk. margarine , vegan cheese. Just use your old recipes and sub for dairy.

Plant milks are somewhat based on tastes. but for cooking I think you can't go wrong with oat milk. In soups I like coconut milk in a can.
Margarine. I usually just go with Earth Balance but the best (and most expensive) is Miyoko Cultured.
Vegan cheese - I usually go with Field Roast but many people think Miyoko's is the best. When I can find it I use Mioko's liquid mozzarella for my pizza. Also Go Veggie makes a good parmesan sub.

The Vegan Forum has a search function, just click on the little magnifying glass and type the recipe you want. or go to the main page and scroll down till you find the Recipes section.

Hi, welcome. Love your Avatar.

How is your cooking skills? How elaborate or simple do you want to be?
Which of the following do you have?
air fryer
crock pot
rice cooker
instaPot
immersion blender
stir fry pan
pizza pan

Have you ever made a stir fry at home? or a pizza?

Meanwhile it's usually Easy to replace dairy. Plant milk. margarine , vegan cheese. Just use your old recipes and sub for dairy.

Plant milks are somewhat based on tastes. but for cooking I think you can't go wrong with oat milk. In soups I like coconut milk in a can.
Margarine. I usually just go with Earth Balance but the best (and most expensive) is Miyoko Cultured.
Vegan cheese - I usually go with Field Roast but many people think Miyoko's is the best. When I can find it I use Mioko's liquid mozzarella for my pizza. Also Go Veggie makes a good parmesan sub.

The Vegan Forum has a search function, just click on the little magnifying glass and type the recipe you want. or go to the main page and scroll down till you find the Recipes section.
Thanks - that' s my dog in my avatar pic :) My cooking skills are fairly good.

My equipment:
air fryer - NO
crock pot - I have a casserole dish I put in the oven, but not an electronic slow cooker/crock pot
rice cooker - NO
instaPot - NO (not sure what that is)
immersion blender - YES
stir fry pan - YES
pizza pan - YES

I prefer simple stuff done well rather than fancy complicated stuff. But I feel like to make veggie/vegan food more interesting I need to up my skills on herbs/spice/seasoning.

Nick

You can buy oyster mushrooms in most supermarkets such as Tesco/Sainsbury`s/Waitrose and independent
grocery shops.
You really don`t need any fancy gadgets to cook. An immersion blender and what you have listed is fine.
My advise would be to keep the recipes simple and don`t worry about not having all the ingredients as you
can easily substitute them.
The Vegan Society website has some useful tips and recipes for beginners. I also love Bosh TV as their recipes
are quite easy but so very tasty.

My favourite dishes mole style black bean and sweet potato chili, birria quesedillas, nut roast and cottage pie.

stir fry pan - YES
pizza pan - YES
I make stir fries at least once a week. Broccoli, mushroom, tofu is my favorite. I start off with canola oil and soy sauce. and finish up with a stir fry sauce. Lots of other recipes.

Pizza is something else I make at least once a week. mushrooms, olives, sausage, are my favorite. When I can get it I put miyoko's liquid mozzarella on before the toppings. I don't usually make my own dough. If you buy ready made dough check the ingredients. Not all are vegan.

This is one of my faves, I'll making it now--
sh!take shrooms, tofu cubes, onion, bok choy simmering in a miso ginger garlic Thai pepper tamarind broth. Then udon noodles and I'll thicken with vinegar & corn starch.

Last edited:
All depends on what their tastes. So much popular foods that I dislike

All depends on what their tastes. So much popular foods that I dislike
I know what you mean. I'm not especially keen on chickpeas which seems to be a vegan staple.
My neighbour has just given me a butternut squash from his allotment so that decides what the next meal will be based on (probably wouldn't be my first choice of veg but I'll see what I can do with it).

I know what you mean. I'm not especially keen on chickpeas which seems to be a vegan staple.
My neighbour has just given me a butternut squash from his allotment so that decides what the next meal will be based on (probably wouldn't be my first choice of veg but I'll see what I can do with it).
Butternut squash soup is delicious. There are many variations, but the one I make has ginger and curry powder in it, along with veggie broth, onions, etc. The trick is to roast the squash first. It adds a nice depth to the flavor. I just cut the squash in half length-wise, take out the seeds and stringy parts, and then brush some olive oil on each half and place cut side down to roast. Then I sauté on the onions first, add the spices and heat for a minute or two and dump the rest of the ingredients in, simmer for half and hour or longer and then use the immersion blender to make it creamy. If it's too thick, add some more veggie broth or even water to thin it out a bit.

Another favorite I serve non-veg*ans is veggie pot pie. I use the chicken pot pie recipe from the Betty Crocker cookbook and sub in unsweetened soy or almond milk and vegan butter for the roux and then broccoli and extra peas and carrots for the chicken. It never disappoints!

I'm with you on both! Used to love chickpeas, now I don't like them outside of soup. Def no hummus or that mashed chickpea spread
Only winter squash I like is delicata, but I do like pumpkin!
I hate when people try and get you to like things when you've already said how many ways you've tried already. Unless you won't eat a whole nutritional catagory you don't need to like everything
I do make myself eat sweet potatoes-I have found adding things like hot sauce or garlic salt is palatable. They're just so nutritious and cheap now

Thanks folks. I still have half a butternut squash left so might try making soup.
I just made this which was really nice and met my family’s approval. Butternut squash and sage pasta
Looks like what we made with the last pumpkin!
Pumpkin soup is delicious. There are many variations, but the one I make has ginger and curry powder in it, along with veggie broth, onions, etc. The trick is to roast the squash first. It adds a nice depth to the flavor. I just cut the squash in half length-wise, take out the seeds and stringy parts, and then brush some olive oil on each half and place cut side down to roast. Then I sauté on the onions first, add the spices and heat for a minute or two and dump the rest of the ingredients in, simmer for half and hour or longer and then use the immersion blender to make it creamy. If it's too thick, add some more veggie broth or even water to thin it out a bit.
Fixed it for me :rofl: :triumph:

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15
I'm with you on both! Used to love chickpeas, now I don't like them outside of soup. Def no hummus or that mashed chickpea spread
Only winter squash I like is delicata, but I do like pumpkin!
I hate when people try and get you to like things when you've already said how many ways you've tried already. Unless you won't eat a whole nutritional catagory you don't need to like everything
I do make myself eat sweet potatoes-I have found adding things like hot sauce or garlic salt is palatable. They're just so nutritious and cheap now
Well maybe they’re right to an extent. Your taste can change. And many people have been traumatised by some past badly cooked food. I convinced someone that Brussels sprouts were good the other day by slicing them and frying/caramelising in olive oil. I am revising my opinion on both butternut squash and chickpeas now because even though not my favourite foods the meal i had tonight had both and it was great. I’ve got sweet potato for later in the week. Again not a favourite of mine but I will reserve judgement until I see what I can do with it.

Reactions: Tom L. and PTree15
Well maybe they’re right to an extent. Your taste can change. And many people have been traumatised by some past badly cooked food. I convinced someone that Brussels sprouts were good the other day by slicing them and frying/caramelising in olive oil. I am revising my opinion on both butternut squash and chickpeas now because even though not my favourite foods the meal i had tonight had both and it was great. I’ve got sweet potato for later in the week. Again not a favourite of mine but I will reserve judgement until I see what I can do with it.
Oh tastes absolutely change! I will always try things, in fact every few months I will even taste dairy things--like cream cheese--just because I wonder how what I make stacks up. It's terrible! Not as bad as sour cream, but I never liked that anyway. What I call sour cheese is not even similar
Anyway, while I will always try things I dislike made in all kinds of ways, I def know what I like or don't like, and am very rarely surprised.
I work with a guy now who seems to like telling me how I'd love whatever veg thing his wife made. Today it was acorn squash stuff with quinoa :yuck:
I didn't say anything of course, but I hope he doesn't ever think to bring me samples :laughing:

Oh tastes absolutely change! I will always try things, in fact every few months I will even taste dairy things--like cream cheese--just because I wonder how what I make stacks up. It's terrible! Not as bad as sour cream, but I never liked that anyway. What I call sour cheese is not even similar
Anyway, while I will always try things I dislike made in all kinds of ways, I def know what I like or don't like, and am very rarely surprised.
I work with a guy now who seems to like telling me how I'd love whatever veg thing his wife made. Today it was acorn squash stuff with quinoa :yuck:
I didn't say anything of course, but I hope he doesn't ever think to bring me samples :laughing:
Haha. It’s like when people recommend films to watch. Most of the time the reaction is “Thanks, I’ll have to check that out” [thinks: I will never check that out].