Hello from Illinois

Rob206

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been wanting to change my lifestyle for a long time. I think the time has come. I'm as heavy as I've ever been at 193. And I know my triglycerides and cholesterol are not good. Last blood work I had my liver enzymes showed signs of a fatty liver. I ate a lot of fast food the last 2 years going through a divorce. I was always skinny so I ate whatever I wanted. So January 16 I stopped fast food, soda and red meat. I bought 2 cookbooks. Forks and knives cookbook and the ultimate vegan cookbook. I spent probably 80 bucks on fruit and vegetables. Also got some cod and salmon as I transition. But meal prep was a pain and I think I needed some help. So I start Seattle sutton 1500 calorie vegetarian plan on Monday. I'm hoping this will show me what to eat so I can then plan my own meals.
I'm sure this won't be easy, but I need to get healthy. Any suggestions for books, magazines or information for people transitioning I appreciate

Reactions: Val and Rob206
I think you've made a good choice with the Forks Over Knives cookbook. Also follow them on FB and visit the website. I'm personally not familiar with the the other book you got.

Do you exercise?

I think you've made a good choice with the Forks Over Knives cookbook. Also follow them on FB and visit the website. I'm personally not familiar with the the other book you got.

Do you exercise?
I thought of joining a gym but I'm worried I'll have a heart attack. My job is somewhat physical, I do a lot of stairs. I'm a reactor operator at a chemical plant. I thought first eat healthy and lose a few pounds then incorporate exercise. Weights or machines first then cardio when I know I'm not gonna die

Hello, Rob, and welcome! I grew up in north central Illinois and again spent six years there, starting in 2008.

I'm not going to be helpful with dietary resources (others on here are much more informed about that), but I just wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you.

Hello, Rob, and welcome! I grew up in north central Illinois and again spent six years there, starting in 2008.

I'm not going to be helpful with dietary resources (others on here are much more informed about that), but I just wanted to take the opportunity to welcome you.
Thank you. I'm in shorewood near Joliet

Reactions: Val and Mischief
Hi Rob:) sounds like you are going in the right direction with your food choices, stairs are good for exercise. Hope you keep us updated :)

Reactions: KLS52 and Rob206
Hi everyone,
I've been wanting to change my lifestyle for a long time. I think the time has come. I'm as heavy as I've ever been at 193. And I know my triglycerides and cholesterol are not good. Last blood work I had my liver enzymes showed signs of a fatty liver. I ate a lot of fast food the last 2 years going through a divorce. I was always skinny so I ate whatever I wanted. So January 16 I stopped fast food, soda and red meat. I bought 2 cookbooks. Forks and knives cookbook and the ultimate vegan cookbook. I spent probably 80 bucks on fruit and vegetables. Also got some cod and salmon as I transition. But meal prep was a pain and I think I needed some help. So I start Seattle sutton 1500 calorie vegetarian plan on Monday. I'm hoping this will show me what to eat so I can then plan my own meals.
I'm sure this won't be easy, but I need to get healthy. Any suggestions for books, magazines or information for people transitioning I appreciate
I'm interested in thee Seattle sutton plan you reference!

...and welcome!

Reactions: Rob206

...and welcome!
They offer 3 plans.
1200 or 2000 calorie traditional or a 1500 calorie vegetarian
I got the veg, 21 meals for 167$. I pick up half monday and the remaining Thursday. Or they'll deliver it

Reactions: KLS52

...and welcome!

I looked them up. Here's the vegetarian plan: 1500 Calorie Vegetarian Meal Plan

Rob, it looks like a good option for transitioning - easy and varied.

I think it's natural to assume that, as one moves to a plant based diet, one is going to have a less varied diet. In practice, I've found the opposite to be true, since I started exploring more types of grains, legumes, vegetables, and spices, and also more variations of different ethnic foods (some of which are traditionally plant based, and others of which are very easily adapted to plant based.) IOW, my food horizons expanded rather than contracted.

I think it's natural to assume that, as one moves to a plant based diet, one is going to have a less varied diet. In practice, I've found the opposite to be true, since I started exploring more types of grains, legumes, vegetables, and spices, and also more variations of different ethnic foods (some of which are traditionally plant based, and others of which are very easily adapted to plant based.) IOW, my food horizons expanded rather than contracted.
I'm definitely excited. I mentioned the 2 cookbooks I bought, and I have my eye on a few others as well as nutrition books. I figure I'll learn something too. I love Mexican and Indian or middle eastern food , so with all those spices and different ingredients, I'll have a ton of meatless options. I think I'll really enjoy exploring different ingredients and ways of cooking.

Vegetarian Healthy Eating Meal Plan | Menu D

Reactions: Mischief
I'm going to be hungry on 1500. What do you think, in between the SS meals if I ate bananas and oranges or other fruit to get me to the next meal? I should still drop weight. Or should I stick to the 1500 strictly? Also it's more like 1200 for me. The 15 includes milk which I don't like or drink. So I figure I have some wiggle room with fruit in between

I would definitely think you can have some fruit, or unlimited greens or veggies!
Grind chia seeds and add to water, that will also help with feeling full and good for more fiber and omega 3's. About 1 T a day.
You don't taste them
Do Chia Seeds Help with Belly Fat? | NutritionFacts.org

My favorite tip for sweets is subbing medjool dates. I make a syrup by pouring hot water to cover pitted dates, then blend. You can use a bit to sweeten anything.
Balsamic vinegar is my choice for salads and greens
Miso adds a ton of flavor, and a great broth with meals or in between. Don't use boiling water, no more than like 110 F to keep the probiotics

I would definitely think you can have some fruit, or unlimited greens or veggies!
Grind chia seeds and add to water, that will also help with feeling full and good for more fiber and omega 3's. About 1 T a day.
You don't taste them
Do Chia Seeds Help with Belly Fat? | NutritionFacts.org

My favorite tip for sweets is subbing medjool dates. I make a syrup by pouring hot water to cover pitted dates, then blend. You can use a bit to sweeten anything.
Balsamic vinegar is my choice for salads and greens
Miso adds a ton of flavor, and a great broth with meals or in between. Don't use boiling water, no more than like 110 F to keep the probiotics
One of my favorite salad dressings, apart from vinaigrette, is a mix of equal parts miso and tahini, thinned with a little water, and seasoned with pepper and whatever else tickles your fancy. It doesn't sound appealing, but it's in the Veganomicon, which has never steered me wrong, so I decided to try it despite my misgivings.

Reactions: Poppy and Rob206
One of my favorite salad dressings, apart from vinaigrette, is a mix of equal parts miso and tahini, thinned with a little water, and seasoned with pepper and whatever else tickles your fancy. It doesn't sound appealing, but it's in the Veganomicon, which has never steered me wrong, so I decided to try it despite my misgivings.
I've never had miso or tahini. How is their sodium? I should watch that too. I have some balsamic aged 18yrs. That stuff is good enough to drink lol

Reactions: Val