Healthy carbs?

What does "DEVA version" mean? Is there a good source of DHA/EPA not coming from the sea? I wonder if there is a health benefit when weighed against the extent of pollution of the oceans.

Did you by chance try to grow your own phytoplankton meanwhile? That sounds really interesting :)
Deva is a vegan brand of vitamins

The algae sourced for Dha/epa is grown in tanks

Reactions: Tyll and David3
What does "DEVA version" mean? Is there a good source of DHA/EPA not coming from the sea? I wonder if there is a health benefit when weighed against the extent of pollution of the oceans.

DEVA is a brand name. I don't know why the capitalize their name. Maybe I stands for something.

I can sometimes get a little carried away with brand loyalty but I've found I like their Multi Tiny Tables best.
Lately I have been relying on them for Omega 3s as well.

Did you by chance try to grow your own phytoplankton meanwhile? That sounds really interesting :)

I'm tempted. I researched it a bit. It could be cost effective. and maybe fun.

Reactions: Tyll
"Deva" means "heavenly, divine, anything of excellence", and is also one of the terms for a deity in Hinduism. Deva is a masculine term; the feminine equivalent is Devi.

In Cambodian culture, "Devi" or "Davy" (pronounced DAHvee) is a name given to girls. It means "angel".

1628121955909.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
Maybe. but I think it stands for something. Its always capitalized. DEVA.
Oh maybe that is just their logo or something.

Thank you very much silva and Lou! :)

I've just ordered from "Testa Omega-3", since I don't know, whether the packaging of the DEVA version is made from recycled plastic or not. As it happens, I'm currently in chapter 4 in "Becoming Vegan" and reading about the anti-inflammatory properties of DHA.

Thank you very much silva and Lou! :)

I've just ordered from "Testa Omega-3", since I don't know, whether the packaging of the DEVA version is made from recycled plastic or not. As it happens, I'm currently in chapter 4 in "Becoming Vegan" and reading about the anti-inflammatory properties of DHA.
nice packaging but expensive

nice packaging but expensive
They aren't much different in price.The Deva are 100mg more combine dha/epa than Testa.
I've spent a lot of time pricing algae dha. Dr Greger has said they're all from the same source of algae. It's not easy as the strenght varies, and you have to watch serving size
These are a great buy now- 90 days worth at 400 combined dha/epa for $19.47

Reactions: Tyll and Lou
Ground flaxseed and flaxseed oil were mentioned earlier in this thread, about getting enough Omega-3 fats. Most of us recommended consuming the whole seed (ground, to improve digestibiity) rather than just the oil, and that's good advice- you get more nutrients. But in addition to that, the oil doesn't last as well; it tends to go rancid. (So do ground flaxseeds; that's why I grind only about a cup of them at one time and keep them in the refrigerator. But even ground flaxseeds keep fresh better than the oil does).

I didn't know flaxseed contains significant amounts of cyanide, although many seeds do (for example, most fruits in the rose family- apple, peach, apricot, cherry... but you normally have to eat a compratively huge amount of them to endanger yourself- something like a whole cup of apple seeds at one sitting.)

Reactions: Lou
Whole grains are moderate in calories. I wouldn't say they cause weight gain.
its safe to say that whole grains in moderation Don't cause weight gain.
the bad rap that carbs and grains gets from immoderate intake of refined grains and processed carbs.

three or four servings of whole grains is actually a good idea. however a lot of Americans get 5 or more and not so much whole. Three or less is a good goal for weight loss.

but the guy eating a bagel sandwich for breakfast, a donut for a mid morning snack, a 12 inch sub for lunch, a couple of cookies or some chips for another snack, and bowl of spaghetti for dinner, and a slice of cake for dessert is getting something like 11 servings of grains. and maybe mostly refined.

its safe to say that whole grains in moderation Don't cause weight gain.
the bad rap that carbs and grains gets from immoderate intake of refined grains and processed carbs.

three or four servings of whole grains is actually a good idea. however a lot of Americans get 5 or more and not so much whole. Three or less is a good goal for weight loss.

but the guy eating a bagel sandwich for breakfast, a donut for a mid morning snack, a 12 inch sub for lunch, a couple of cookies or some chips for another snack, and bowl of spaghetti for dinner, and a slice of cake for dessert is getting something like 11 servings of grains. and maybe mostly refined.
Agreed. And, of course, the donut, cookies and cake have greater calorie-density due to the added fat/oil.

One cup of boiled brown rice contains about 200 calories. If you eat whole grains, without added fat/sugar, you can eat quite a bit without exceeding daily calorie limits.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Carbs are your friend as long as they are whole grain. They keep you full. Honestly I have changed my whole approach to carbs and I feel great. If you are eating a plate of pasta and no salad or vegies with it then yes this isn't great. However if you include a portion of carbs with every meal you will feel fuller for longer and it will give you energy.

Honestly in the past I have tried the high protein low carb diets and I constantly had cravings. I went plant based whole food and surprising my cravings disappeared, I slept better, I lost more weight and I felt great. Reduce your carbs and your body will scream out for sugars, you need them for energy.

I recently watched a co worker do the whole low carb diet and by the second week she was cranky and on edge and didn't make it, she started eating chocolate to cope. I've seen this play out time and time again, people cannot continue with it. The whole media industry is obsessed with low carb and I now see it as a guaranteed diet to fail.

As for oil after reading books by Greger and Esselstyn I no longer use oil. You get what you need from nuts, avocado's. Oil is so calorie dense and bad for your heart.

Last edited: