Have you guys heard about satvik bhojan

hindu

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Have you guys heard about satvik bhojan, its purest form of vegetarianism which hindus have been following since ages .

Thanks

No from me also - onions are a staple, along with garlic and peppers, especially spicy peppers are essential! Love leeks, they are often just too expensive to justify buying and would eat them daily if I could.

Emma JC

I do not like hot/spicy stuff anyway. So that wouldn't be so hard for me. Not going to give up garlic tho.

I do not like hot/spicy stuff anyway. So that wouldn't be so hard for me. Not going to give up garlic tho.
Garlic is said to have many many medicinal properties in ayurveda but it still is tamsik food :)

Have you guys heard about satvik bhojan, its purest form of vegetarianism which hindus have been following since ages .

Thanks

It involves the enslavement of cows, goats and other animals, so I would not call it "pure" in any way shape or form, and since the cheeses from it would be made from animal rennet, it isn't even vegetarian let alone vegan. Sharing the milk with the calf is still exploitation. I also wonder what happens to all the male babies. Sorry to sound harsh, but what I have read in to on it seems to be totally based on dogmatic religious views and not science/evidence.
Then there is the belief in that system that certain hot or spicy foods have negative affects on (insert religious energy thing here). That in itself is mostly harmless, excepting that it is making people avoid foods that are very very healthy such as capsaicin-containing foods and garlic, all based on some old unsubstantiated document with a group of people who seem to not ever change their views when new evidence comes forward (aka dogma).

So yes, please do not brag about it being the purest form of vegetarianism/veganism. For the record, Jains are probably the ones with the most right to claim that their lifestyle/diet is the most "pure".

It involves the enslavement of cows, goats and other animals, so I would not call it "pure" in any way shape or form, and since the cheeses from it would be made from animal rennet, it isn't even vegetarian let alone vegan. Sharing the milk with the calf is still exploitation. I also wonder what happens to all the male babies. Sorry to sound harsh, but what I have read in to on it seems to be totally based on dogmatic religious views and not science/evidence.
Then there is the belief in that system that certain hot or spicy foods have negative affects on (insert religious energy thing here). That in itself is mostly harmless, excepting that it is making people avoid foods that are very very healthy such as capsaicin-containing foods and garlic, all based on some old unsubstantiated document with a group of people who seem to not ever change their views when new evidence comes forward (aka dogma).

So yes, please do not brag about it being the purest form of vegetarianism/veganism. For the record, Jains are probably the ones with the most right to claim that their lifestyle/diet is the most "pure".
I think you need to know more about it....
and next another point which you raised "Sharing the milk with the calf is still exploitation." please do some research on it...if you can understand hindi i can send you video to know about this subject

I think the key to this discussion is in the opening post....

As this is a vegan forum there is little to no likelihood that anyone will agree with this type of lifestyle.

Emma JC

I think the key to this discussion is in the opening post....

As this is a vegan forum there is little to no likelihood that anyone will agree with this type of lifestyle.

Emma JC
do you have any idea on difference between vegan and vegetarian ?
as per me both r same....am i right ?

do you have any idea on difference between vegan and vegetarian ?
as per me both r same....am i right ?

As this is a vegan forum, I am quite sure that Emma knows the difference. You on the other hand, do not. I do not know if this is due to a language barrier or not, but still you should have done your homework. Vegetarians, like carnists, see other sentient beings (EG animals) as a resource or commodity; an object to be owned and used however the "owner" sees fit. Even if it is in the false pretense of kindness, it is always done for the wants of the "owner". As my signature line on other forums states:

Carnist: Someone who kills animals and then takes from their bodies.
Vegetarian: Someone who takes from animals' bodies, and then kills them when they are no longer profitable.
Vegan: Someone who tries to avoid unnecessary harm to animals as much as is possible and practicable.

That is oversimplified, but yeah, vegetarians still use and abuse (and then kill) those that they "own". They often seem to like to forget about all of the male animals that are killed as infants, as they do not produce dairy or eggs. I would argue that a vegetarian lifestyle is just as, if not more so, cruel than a meat eaters' (carnist).

That is oversimplified,

I wouldn't call it oversimplified. It's a pretty concise and clear explanation. but I think it is a bit ....um... pessimistic.

How many of us vegans were vegetarians first? (Well, not me. I gave up milk and eggs before meat - but I'm weird). A more ....um... optimistic distinction might be a vegetarian is a person on their way to becoming a vegan.

Or... how about, a vegetarian is a wannabe vegan who can't give up cheese?

or almost vegan?

or a vegetarian has good intentions but is misinformed about where milk and meat come from.

Or maybe .... someone who avoids meat for health purposes. Or environmental reasons. Or a person who does not eat for religious purposes.

Awesome response @SapphireLightning
I agree with you too @Lou that for most of us it has been a journey

There are lots and lots of people out there that are vegetarians, have been for years and have no intention of becoming vegan.

My guess would be that people that are satvik bhojan fall into that category and not because they wish to cause harm to animals but because that is how they were raised or because of religion or some other cause. As most of us were raised carnivore for no good reason other than tradition and have made the journey to where we are today.

I will give @hindu the benefit of the doubt and conclude it is a language barrier that confused him/her and appreciate @SapphireLightning for educating him/her.

Emma JC

Reactions: SapphireLightning
Do you exclude root vegetables so that you don't kill bugs and earthworms? I read about that some where.

Also I think if you are going to be vegetarian I agree that sharing milk with the calf is probably the purest way to do it.

I've been thinking lately on what really is the purest way to be a non vegan, since veganism is impossible in a primitive society.

Native Americans hated animal agriculture, they actually used terms like animal rights and hate caged animals, yet consumed flesh (even though to a much more moderate degree than modern people do, for example a lot of California tribes owe their existence primarily to acorns).

Or is it Eastern forms of vegetarianism.

P.S. I will not be stopping the consumption of garlic or onions.

Reactions: TofuRobot and hindu
Do you exclude root vegetables so that you don't kill bugs and earthworms? I read about that some where.

Also I think if you are going to be vegetarian I agree that sharing milk with the calf is probably the purest way to do it.

I've been thinking lately on what really is the purest way to be a non vegan, since veganism is impossible in a primitive society.

Native Americans hated animal agriculture, they actually used terms like animal rights and hate caged animals, yet consumed flesh (even though to a much more moderate degree than modern people do, for example a lot of California tribes owe their existence primarily to acorns).

Or is it Eastern forms of vegetarianism.

P.S. I will not be stopping the consumption of garlic or onions.
I think you should atleast do some research on garlic or onions.
In Hinduism its great to have garlic as medicine but daily habbit should be avoided.
If I am allowed to post youtube video link i can show you a very interesting video which i saw 2-3 days back.

Thanks