half a million vegans in Britain

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Find out how many vegans are in Great Britain
There are over half a million vegans in Britain - at least 1.05% of the 15 and over population* - new research commissioned by The Vegan Society in partnership with Vegan Life magazine, has found.

At least 542,000 people in Britain are now following a vegan diet and never consume any animal products including meat, fish, milk, cheese, eggs and honey. This is a whopping increase since the last estimate of 150,000 ten years ago, making veganism one of Britain’s fastest growing lifestyle movements.

Amazing! I think it is great that so many vegetarians who are not vegan said they would like to stop eating so many animal products. That would make a huge difference.

I went vegan in 2006 and it seems like it is getting easier all the time with new vegan products in supermarkets etc...

The study itself sounds reasonable (IPSOS Mori, sample size). Have to be wary that the vegan society might spin it a bit.

They surveyed 10,000 people. How significant is that to sample a 50 million population? I'm not sure.

I am assuming they surveyed people at random, rather than vegans or groups of people that might have such at tendency.

Why "at least" 542,000. Is that the lower limit of the statistical margin for error. How many of the 10,000 were vegan? Rather selectively released data?