Guy Fawkes - Bonfire Night 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Bonfire to my British friends! :)

th

Reactions: ledboots
Fireworks have been going off for a week around here already. There's an organized fireworks display tonight that we might be going to.

It's a funny tradition. Not sure I quite understand what our who we're celebrating! Are we celebrating Guy Fawkes for his attempt at blowing up the parliament? Or the fact he was captured and burned at the stake or whatever they did to him?

Fireworks have been going off for a week around here already. There's an organized fireworks display tonight that we might be going to.

It's a funny tradition. Not sure I quite understand what our who we're celebrating! Are we celebrating Guy Fawkes for his attempt at blowing up the parliament? Or the fact he was captured and burned at the stake or whatever they did to him?

'Guy Fawkes Night celebrates the foiling of an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London on November 5, 1605. The attack was planned by a group of Catholic conspirators, which included Guy Fawkes. The explosives would have been set off when King James I of England (King James VI of Scotland) and many parliamentary members were in the building. The conspirators were later arrested, tortured and executed'

Guy Fawkes Day in United Kingdom

Reactions: Second Summer
So as a consolation prize, he got a day named after him?

Would that be like, we named a day after Osama bin Laden or Carlos the Jackal or maybe Ursula Meinhof? I'm still a bit confused :)

I used to like going to see firework displays but since I've had dogs I've gone off them. Now we have to have the TV and a white noise machine turned up really loudly to try and block out the noise.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Freesia
So as a consolation prize, he got a day named after him?

Would that be like, we named a day after Osama bin Laden or Carlos the Jackal or maybe Ursula Meinhof? I'm still a bit confused :)

the difference I suppose is that Guy Fawkes was stopped. Bin Laden wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.