Greta Thunberg Video

I wasn't a fan of the famous "HOW DARE YOU" address, because it places too much blame on 'them in charge' and not enough on 'us'.

However, IMO positive action is obviously important (setting up your own green company, inventing your world saving device), but that doesn't mean that pointing at the elephant isn't. And Greta has played a huge part in making this issue bigger and more real than it has ever been. That must count for something. I think the Greta hate is mostly about not liking someone actually stepping up and saying the awkward things.

So yep, another Greta fan here, and this video makes me like her even more.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W and Lou
I wasn't a fan of the famous "HOW DARE YOU" address, because it places too much blame on 'them in charge' and not enough on 'us'.
I agree we are all responsible but many of us are already doing all that we know how and by far the biggest part of the damage is being caused by big companies after big profits. Governments need to start making regulations to control these companies. The majority of Joe Average citizens don't care enough to make sacrifices so it is the government that needs to act. You wouldn't refuse to create anti-murder laws on the grounds that it is our responsibility not to commit murder would you?

Reactions: bEt, Lou and LoreD
I agree we are all responsible but many of us are already doing all that we know how and by far the biggest part of the damage is being caused by big companies after big profits. Governments need to start making regulations to control these companies. The majority of Joe Average citizens don't care enough to make sacrifices so it is the government that needs to act.
I've watched that 'How dare you' video again, and to be fair to Greta, she is addressing a climate summit, so on reflection it's more than fair enough for her to judge the governments. So I take back what I said :–)

Big companies make big profits by providing things that we want. I think it's a very comfortable get out for most people to point the finger at governments and say "why haven't you sorted this yet?". Of course governments need to do more, but this needs change probably bigger than any revolution seen in human history, and I think it needs more support from the bottom up. The fact that Joe Average doesn't care means that pretty much nobody anywhere cares enough (us included).

You wouldn't refuse to create anti-murder laws on the grounds that it is our responsibility not to commit murder would you?
No I wouldn't. If only sorting this was that simple.

EDIT: Just to expand on the reality of this: Imagine a government installs an 'essential flights only' policy. Would they get voted in again?

Last edited:
Reactions: bEt
Last week 3 major oil companies took major steps to reduce emissions. One was government imposed, one was share holders imposed - I can't remember what the third one was.

I'm giving credit to Greta.

Reactions: bEt and silva
Children aren't allowed to vote.
or
buy cigarettes, buy alcohol, be drafted or even serve in the military.

If youth rights main thing is to lowering the voting age - Greta is a good reason to lower the voting age.
I don't have any issues with giving her the ability to vote.

Greta is back in the news.

“We can no longer let the people in power decide what hope is. Hope is not passive. Hope is not blah blah blah. Hope is telling the truth. Hope is taking action”
-Greta

Reactions: PTree15
Greta is back in the news.

“We can no longer let the people in power decide what hope is. Hope is not passive. Hope is not blah blah blah. Hope is telling the truth. Hope is taking action”
-Greta

I'm not a particularly big fan of Greta, but I really respect the lack of respect she has for the world leaders.

Last edited:
I felt a bit put-off by her style when I first saw a video of her. But then, her generation will have to deal with the results of what people in power are doing now, and she grasps that. Just because she's young, and (supposedly) hasn't learned as much as people who have been around longer than she has, doesn't mean she has nothing to say which needs to be heard.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
I love her message and what she stands for. It does worry me a bit that she will turn off a lot of people…you know…the people that need to hear her the most.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L.
It does worry me a bit that she will turn off a lot of people…
We know that it's not only important what you say, but also how you say it and I'm sure every vegan talking about veganism with omnivores knows about it. A German proverb says: "Der Ton macht die Musik".

"How DARE you!!!"

"STFU, little hypocrite!!"

I have always been a fan of Greta Thunberg.

Did you guys see the video where she openly mocks world leaders " bla bla bla net zero emissions bla bla bla" LOL ... and she is 100% and completely correct and accurate! No one else dares to be as honest and direct as Greta Thunberg!

How do I buy her a [vegan] beer?

I have always been a fan of Greta Thunberg.

Did you guys see the video where she openly mocks world leaders " bla bla bla net zero emissions bla bla bla" LOL ... and she is 100% and completely correct and accurate! No one else dares to be as honest and direct as Greta Thunberg!

5 posts up.
How do I buy her a [vegan] beer?
she is a minor.

In Canada, 18 = full adult, in most provinces. (there are exceptions and higher limits for gambling and cannabis I think)

Edit: That got off topic in a bad way

There is a theory that is applicable to both the political left and right that if one pushes the limit further, followers will move overall dialogue slightly in that direction. I just hope Greta is successful in moving people towards the climate change cause without backlash.

Last edited:
Lou, you can disagree with my post as much as you want - that doesn't change the fact that people tend to react negatively to accusations.