UK Gregory Sams,VegeBurger mix Question?

Sakesol

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Gregory Sams, Realeat, the original VegeBurger mix Question?

Hi, I'm from the UK and gave up meat in the late 1980's. One of the very few products available in supermarkets, back then, was the Gregory Sams, Realeat, VegeBurger. It was sold in a packet and you could add water and it would be vegan or add egg to make it veggie, mix in a bowl and fry/grill. This product was available until the late 2000's and then was bought out by Granose. They stopped selling the product as they already sold a similar, if some what inferior (to my taste buds).
I really miss this product and wondered if. A) Does anyone else remember it? B) Does anyone know what the recipe was so it could be re-created? C) Does anyone know how I could get the good people at Granose to reissue it?

Gregory Sams, Realeat, the original VegeBurger mix Question?

Hi, I'm from the UK and gave up meat in the late 1980's. One of the very few products available in supermarkets, back then, was the Gregory Sams, Realeat, VegeBurger. It was sold in a packet and you could add water and it would be vegan or add egg to make it veggie, mix in a bowl and fry/grill. This product was available until the late 2000's and then was bought out by Granose. They stopped selling the product as they already sold a similar, if some what inferior (to my taste buds).
I really miss this product and wondered if. A) Does anyone else remember it? B) Does anyone know what the recipe was so it could be re-created? C) Does anyone know how I could get the good people at Granose to reissue it?

Hi Sakesol,

I think this might be the droid you're looking for. When I found it, it took me straight back to the one I bought in a wholefood shop in Aberdeen in the nineties. It's quite salt, rich and ever so slightly peppery. It's better baked than fried, and it makes a very good sandwich slice if you press it very thin and bake it for just a few minutes. The trick with it is to give it at least ten minutes rest after you've mixed it, before you start to cook it. I often put herbs, chopped mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes or chilli flakes in and I use it as the filling for a vegeburger wellington at Christmas, with a port and mushroom mix lining the pastry and some cranberries and chestnuts added to the vegeburger loaf.

The store charges for delivery on orders less than £30, so I usually buy the 5kg catering pack and a 1kg pack of sosmix. I think they used to have a page about the history of the two products - the pudding company Symingtons owned Sosmix last time I looked. Sosmix is problematic because of its palm oil content, but I kind of figure it's a damned if you do... situation.

They also had some videos and recipes for both products. I haven't dug round their website for some time, as I have my standard products saved on the order list.

I hope it gives satisfaction. You can try a 500g order first, and just accept the delivery charge or, if you fancy a trip across country to the North East of England, you can go to their retail store. I'm planning a pilgrimage there at some point, but, for me, it's an even longer haul than it would be from Liverpool.

Reactions: Second Summer
Thank you so much for the reply and I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.
I have never been a fan of Sosmix due to it having an odd (perhaps palm oil) taste. The site looks good and I'll give the other brands a try. So thank you very much.
I've emails the original maker Gregory so if he replies I'll add to this post :)

I had the same question back in 2018 and I also emailed Gregory Sams. Here is our correspondence:
> -----Original Message-----

> From: Greg connect [mailto:connect@gregorysams.com]

> Sent: 25 February 2018 10:27

> Subject: Re: Message from website

>

> Hello David,

>

> Regret to say that there is not a single packet of the No-Salt version

> left in my archives. The recipe might be on a bendable floppy disk

> somewhere and the Apple IIe that could read it might be in the attic.

> Wish I could help you but not going to devote a day to it, without

> uncertain success.

>

> Good luck,

>

> Greg

>

>

> On 25/02/2018, 05:07, " wrote:

>

> >Name: david

> >

> >Subject: Real vegeburger no salt

> >Message: Hi I used to love this, thanks for making it. I have found the

> >ingredients list for the chilli and herb varieties but can't find them

> >for the no-salt one which was my favourite. Can you remember or do you

> >still have the list? Or even better the recipe? Thanks again.

I did manage to get some info on some products, unfortunately not the 'no salt' version. I don't remember all the TVP but I do remember it had a lot of sesame. Here is what info I have:

Realeat Vegeburger ingredients​

Ingredients
Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, rolled oats, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, dried vegetables (onions, carrots, tomato, red peppers), hydrolysed vegetable protein, sunflower oil, potato starch, sea salt, colour (beetroot red), herbs (parsley, chives), garlic.
Nutritional Information
per 100g:
Energy 346 kcal / 1458 kJ, Protein 32g, Carbohydrate 32g, Fat 10g.
Other Information
Can be made without egg. No artificial additives. Pack makes four VegeBurgers.
Dairy Free Vegan Yeast

Vegeburger does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

Realeat Vegebanger ingredients​

Ingredients

Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, wheat gluten, rolled oats, herb flavouring, dried vegetables (onions, tomato), sunflower oil, sea salt, hydrolysed vegetable protein, potato starch, garlic, colour (beetroot red), stabiliser (guar gum).

Nutritional Information

per 100g:
Energy 290 kcal / 1226 kJ, Protein 42g, Carbohydrate 21g, Fat 4.2g.

Other Information

No artificial additives.

Dairy Free Vegan Yeast Free

Vegebanger does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

Realeat Vegeburger Chilli Style ingredients​

Ingredients

Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, rolled oats, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, dried vegetables (onions, tomato, red peppers), chilli flavouring, hydrolysed vegetable protein, sunflower oil, potato starch, sea salt, colour (beetroot red).

Nutritional Information

per 100g:
Energy-355 kcals/1495kJ, Protein-32.0g, Carbohydrate-32.0g, Fat 11.0g.

Vegeburger Chilli Style does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

And Greg Sams in a BBC radio programme (Witness-20180125-TheVegeBurger.mp3):"

"sesame seeds, oats, wheat gluten, textured vegetable protein, dried onions, dried vegetables, spices, herbs""

I did manage to get some info on some products, unfortunately not the 'no salt' version. I don't remember all the TVP but I do remember it had a lot of sesame. Here is what info I have:

Realeat Vegeburger ingredients​

Ingredients
Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, rolled oats, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, dried vegetables (onions, carrots, tomato, red peppers), hydrolysed vegetable protein, sunflower oil, potato starch, sea salt, colour (beetroot red), herbs (parsley, chives), garlic.
Nutritional Information
per 100g:
Energy 346 kcal / 1458 kJ, Protein 32g, Carbohydrate 32g, Fat 10g.
Other Information
Can be made without egg. No artificial additives. Pack makes four VegeBurgers.
Dairy Free Vegan Yeast

Vegeburger does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

Realeat Vegebanger ingredients​

Ingredients

Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, wheat gluten, rolled oats, herb flavouring, dried vegetables (onions, tomato), sunflower oil, sea salt, hydrolysed vegetable protein, potato starch, garlic, colour (beetroot red), stabiliser (guar gum).

Nutritional Information

per 100g:
Energy 290 kcal / 1226 kJ, Protein 42g, Carbohydrate 21g, Fat 4.2g.

Other Information

No artificial additives.

Vegebanger does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

Realeat Vegeburger Chilli Style ingredients​

Ingredients

Textured vegetable protein, wholewheat rusk, rolled oats, wheat gluten, sesame seeds, dried vegetables (onions, tomato, red peppers), chilli flavouring, hydrolysed vegetable protein, sunflower oil, potato starch, sea salt, colour (beetroot red).

Nutritional Information

per 100g:
Energy-355 kcals/1495kJ, Protein-32.0g, Carbohydrate-32.0g, Fat 11.0g.

Vegeburger Chilli Style does not contain:​

• Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Vegetarian

Attachments

• 91jvqbacH9L._SY550_.jpg
    91jvqbacH9L._SY550_.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1