Graduate School

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
Anybody here attending or have attended graduate school? I've been thinking about attending a graduate program; but I'm not sure. First, I plan on looking for a job after I graduate with my bachelors next spring. So, I would have work experience between now and when I applied - but on the other hand, I'm not getting any younger. I will already be approaching my 28th birthday when I graduate, I may be passed the point in my life where it makes sense to get a grad degree when I'm finally in a position to get one.

Another issue is my GPA - while my current GPA is great - 3.6, unless a miracle happens on the final tomorrow, I am probably making a C in spanish, which would bring down my entire GPA. Because I received an associates at community college before transferring to university, I only have four semesters worth of grades to average together instead of eight. My goal is/was to graduate with a 3.5, and while that's still possible with a C on my transcript, it means that I will have very little wiggle room and will need to make mostly if not all A's from here on out. It's doable, but it's a lot of pressure!

My field isn't as competitive as, say, med school, but I know that anything lower than a 3.5 greatly reduces your chances of getting into a grad program. I really want to make a difference and contribute to my field; but, with a few notable exceptions, it seems like everyone who is making big changes has done post-grad work of some sort.

So, does anybody have any experiences or advice they'd like to share? Pretty please?

I don't have experience or advice, but I do have some questions/comments:

You're looking to get a graduate degree in Spanish or in something else?

What is your ultimate goal in life once you earn a graduate degree? Are you thinking of teaching, or something else?

Also, I don't believe anyone is "too old" to get a graduate degree in anything. And a graduate degree can only enhance your resumé and your chances of establishing a foothold in the kind of career you want for yourself.

You're looking to get a graduate degree in Spanish or in something else?

Haha, no. Spanish is just my foreign language requirement. I wouldn't even take it if I didn't have too. I mean, I see the reasoning behind requiring a foreign language - but it's not something I have the skills to learn. I really suck at it.

I'm double majoring in women's and gender studies and history with an emphasis on gender. I would seek a graduate degree in women's studies.

What is your ultimate goal in life once you earn a graduate degree? Are you thinking of teaching, or something else?

I've thought about academia, I really like to research and write; but I don't know if I have the self discipline to sit down to write everyday (research - I could do that all the time, no problem :p). I also want to do some real, tangible work that applies theory to real life. Something like Naral or PP or NOW or LGBT orgs or even the Girl Scouts. Or I could try to find a job contributing to a feminist magazine. I don't know.

I really am kinda burned out on school right now. I really enjoy my classes, but find all the other things involved in attending school are stressful and I kinda need a break. I need to do stuff in "the real world" for a while I think.

I would suggest interning at an organization such as PP or at a magazine (such as Ms.) for the experience, and supporting yourself with a paying job working retail or something. Interning at least could get your foot in the door and could lead to bigger, better, paying positions, hopefully.

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry.

You and I are in such a similar situation. I'm graduating next year with a not so stellar BA with hopes of doing post grad. But I'm older than you and I'll be in my 30s before starting my MA ;)

At the moment I'm doing distance learning but I plan to do my MA with a part time university. Which means it'll take longer but I can work in the meantime.

Sorry to hijack, I don't really have any advice, it's just since we're in the same boat this seemed like a nice thread to share :)

Reactions: kibbleforlola