Going Vegan - coffee help!

Kirsten Gray

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi All

I was a vegetarian and recently converted to vegan - I have been surprised by how easy I have found it actually, there is only one thing I am missing and that's my coffee! I had a latte every morning (from home coffee machine) and I cannot find a milk substitute I like in coffee. I have tried almond, soya, oat and coconut with no success!

Does anyone have any tips to making my milky morning coffee more palatable again?

Hello!

Soya I find goes in pretty much any hot beverage... Which soya product did you try? There's quite a few subtle variants of Soya milk.

I can't imagine almond, oat cocnut tasting very well in coffee too sweet at least that's what I've found.

I usually drink my coffee black but will occasionally add just a tiny bit of unsweetened almond or cashew milk to it.

There are vegan "creamers" on the market, such as SoDelicious coconut milk creamer, and Silk soy creamers. They even have flavors like Hazelnut or vanilla. I don't know the availability of these creamers around the world though. I have tried them and they are good, but I am just as happy with black coffee or a smidge of almond milk in mine.

Hi All

I was a vegetarian and recently converted to vegan - I have been surprised by how easy I have found it actually, there is only one thing I am missing and that's my coffee! I had a latte every morning (from home coffee machine) and I cannot find a milk substitute I like in coffee. I have tried almond, soya, oat and coconut with no success!

Does anyone have any tips to making my milky morning coffee more palatable again?

My fave latte was always hazelnut , so my plan is to experiment with hazelnut milk either in normal coffee or as a latte,
also if you pop into ya local costa or Starbucks they should have a soy milk option, so i guess soy milk is a good option for coffees

Good suggestions here, but thought I would touch with another point.

I LOVE really dark coffee... when I purchased (notice the past tense) at Starbucks I would get the dark of the day and add a shot of espresso. I then added half & half, which made it really creamy. Still gives me tingles down my spine thinking about it!

You simply cannot duplicate the taste of that using dairy-free substitutes. I make my own coffee occasionally when I buy organic coffee and I've tried everything - even coconut cream. Just isn't the same, so I have given up coffee except for the indulgence once-in-a-while.