Going out for dinner

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
If you are invited out for dinner with friends, family, co-workers or other groups with people, and they insist on going to places with no vegan options on the menu. What do you do? Do you hope they can make you a sallad or some fries? Or skip it and stay at home?

Reactions: Second Summer
I usually stay at home, and only try to go places I can order SOMETHING. But it depends on the event and the group of people. If it's a small group and you're asking me to dinner, why not go somewhere everyone can enjoy?
If it's like a huge family or work gathering or something like that, pre planned, I'll try to make the best of it and eat what I can.

Reactions: KLS52
I have to admit, it's getting harder and harder for me to "suck it up" and just go along. That said, I have very considerate friends and family and they always find somewhere that will have some options for me.

When My daughter's MIL had the memorial dinner for John, it was buffet and she order a few dishes that were vegan because she wanted to make sure I had something more than salad.

Work events, now, always have a vegan option, also. We're getting there.

It's rare that I would skip going somewhere because there wasn't anything for me to eat, assuming it was something I wanted to go to.

Some restaurants are willing to make special orders if you tell them what you will and will not eat and give them enough advance notice. If they have vegan side dishes, or vegetarian side dishes that they'll veganize, you can put those together for a meal. If they balk, remind them that if they have vegan ingredients (e.g. fresh vegetables, potatoes, rice, non-egg pasta) in their kitchen, they can make a vegan dish.

That said, I have very considerate friends and family and they always find somewhere that will have some options for me.

Same here. I would really resent it if people I knew didn't consider my diet when we were going out to eat.

If you are invited out for dinner with friends, family, co-workers or other groups with people, and they insist on going to places with no vegan options on the menu. What do you do? Do you hope they can make you a sallad or some fries? Or skip it and stay at home?
My family and friends will usually change restaurants easily, as long as I have a similar one in mind that does have some vegan food.

Co-workers, I usually decline if they choose somewhere not vegan-friendly, and I tell them why I am not going. More and more restaurants are offering vegan options, so it is far easier than it was even five years ago to find a decent meal out. And being able to look at menus online is my favorite thing!

I don't usually ask the restaurant to prepare anything special, except of course no cheese, or leave off the bacon bits.

I usually just try to make do as most of the time you can order something! Often the appetizers and sides will have some items. My family is very understanding and my sister and I often eat out with no problems at all! I do not socialize with co-workers and any of the meetup group events that are questionable, we just decline.

It's never a problem with family and friends for me. We always go to places I can eat too (or to the few vegan restaurants). So the only situations people that I'm not that close to. So as I see it, not a loss to not go either.

I want something on the menu to eat if I'm going. I don't like just going a place, and hope they can make something more than a piece of bread and a glas of water. It can be appetizers or side, I do not need a stunning three course vegan menu to go. But as I still live in Norway, vegan options are lacking from a lot of restaurants, specialy outside of big cites. So I decline the invitations on such restaurants.

It depends on the group of people involved, I suppose. A lot of my friends are pretty good about making sure we go to places where I can get something. Co-workers are another issue altogether. Some are good, some are not. My parents and one sister are really good about making sure there are vegan options, but the rest of my family never thinks about it. I don't decline family invitations, but I have declined a few work-related lunches and such and I usually tell them why.

Reactions: Mikkel and KLS52
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I bumped this one... my post is sort of on-topic. I'll put this someplace else if anyone prefers, but it sort of ties in with the theme of good vegan places to go, and I think omnis or vegetarians would have been happy as well- this restaurant also had a vegetable korma (vegetarian, but contained cream), and some selections with meat. The food was quite flavorful, not overcooked or mushy, or excessively spicy.

I rushed out of the house this morning and didn't pack a lunch. So I went to a local Indian restaurant (by myself)...

Before I sat down, I asked which vegetarian dishes had no butter/ghee or egg. Their buffet had the following vegan offerings:

Fresh salad- lettuce, carrots, cucumbers- nothing wrong with that!- you probably just don't want to live on it. A dish of spinach and garbanzo beans (channa saag?) and another dish of cooked potatoes and mushrooms. (FOUR OF MY FAVORITE FOODS IN TWO DISHES!!!!) And pokoras (fritters) and samosas (a filling of potatoes, green peas, and spices wrapped in dough, deep-fried).

I am QUITE happy after my mid-day gluttony- and so is the restaurant- even though it was a buffet I gave them a nice tip. I'll have to suggest this place to my local vegetarian and vegan meetup group. I just think that, for once, I'll skip dinner tonight.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Mikkel