Gluten free alternatives

Cyprus

Newcomer
Reaction score
Based on media publicity on celiac disease due to gluten in wheat, barley, rye and other grains that contain gluten, a substantial population of people have started using gluten free options such as arrow-root flour, cassava flour, peas flour gram flour, almond powder, among others. Some of the products mentioned are found locally in African countries. What other gluten free options are out there?

I'm not really into this whole "gluten-free" craze many people who haven't even got celiac disease have gotten into. I bet 80% or more of gluten free products are sold to people who can eat grains perfectly fine.

Personally, I think many have a hard enough time finding vegan options already, without having to exclude gluten. Grains are a major staple in my diet for one, and I enjoy them too much to cut out. I know there are some negatives to gluten, but eating them is worth the risks for me.

Buckwheat or rice flour. spelt is not gluten free but there is growing evidence that it doesn't affect people in the same was as gluten from dwarf wheat.

Gluten free birthday cakes took over the free from section in my tesco. Naked bars are no longer stocked, trek bars are gone. Amy's soup is the only thing left and I wouldn't eat that ****.

All the options I use are mentioned by you or others. I use buckwheat flour for pancakes and spelt flour for bread. Almond flour is nice for baking sweets. The Graham flour I know, is actually chickpea flour, and I use it for falafel.(Along with the chick peas)

Wheat sensitivity has been proven.. many connect their issues to gluten or it's just easier to say gluten free than explain non-celiac wheat sensitivities.. especially when so many people out there are debating and making fun of the very real issues that many people have when they consume it. I happen to be one of those people and I think many out there don't know they are as well because everyone is just used to having some sort of issue or another and don't contribute it to their food. It's much more common than you think.

I couldn't cite a list of gluten-free foods, but I have seen in major chain stores and supermarket a large variety of these products.

Practically each aisle has a gluten-free product or, depending on the food, a healthy substitution for the same.