Why are practically all vegan blogs gluten free?

Llama

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi.

So I like to get recipes off lots of different vegan blogs but I've noticed that almost all of them seem to use gluten free ingredients most of the time and boast loads of gluten free recipes, and put particular emphasis on them being gluten free... when they don't have a gluten allergy. Each to their own and everything but what's the point in making everything gluten free when you don't have a gluten allergy?! It's not meant to be healthy to cut out gluten if you don't have a gluten allergy. Plus it's probably much more expensive.

I can understand them offering alternative suggestions or the occasional recipe for gluten free things so that they can cater for people with allergies, but WHY do they make everything gluten free when they haven't got a gluten allergy?! It's rather annoying. Are they trying to avoid putting on weight? Are they scared of gluten??? Should I feel bad for eating gluten??? I am in ED recovery (trying my best to eat vegan as much as possible but not completely because I'm on a strict meal plan) so it just makes me feel guilty and like I shouldn't be eating gluten (not that I have a choice anyway).

For example:

'Quinoa is a great gluten free substitute for wheat grains such as farro and bulgur wheat'

'Use coconut flour or almond flour or chickpea flour' (which I doubt you can buy from your local supermarket in the UK anyway).

'Add gluten free barbeque sauce' (what BBQ sauce has gluten in it anyway?)

'Use Bragg's liquid aminos (?) or coconut aminos (?)'

So why? It's stressing Llama (not my real name, I very much hope you realise) and Llama's ED brain out!!!

I think in part they're following fads.

YES, there are people with true celiac disease and there are others with gluten sensitivities. I don't know how large that population is, though, and how many people are just jumping on the bandwagon like they do with the low-carb bandwagon. I am so TIRED of seeing people freak out over carbs - "Oh, I don't eat that. It's too high in carbs." (Meanwhile I eat so many carbs it would make these people's heads explode.)

I think people see all these food manufacturers listing things as gluten-free, and that they also equate gluten with carbs so they suddenly think it's a healthy thing to do to avoid gluten because everyone else is doing it. I think the Paleo movement also has something to do with it - their whole "eating wheat is not natural" argument.

I don't mind if a recipe is gluten-free. It doesn't hurt me one way or the other to have something that is gluten-free or NOT gluten-free (I've actually taken the time to do an elimination diet to see if indeed I had a gluten intolerance, and of course found out I didn't.) My mother has true celiac, so it's a big deal to her to avoid gluten.

It is kind of these vegan cooks to provide options for those with true allergies or sensitivities, however. I see a lot of nut-free and soy-free recipes, too. It's not that they're saying those things are bad, they're just trying to cater to a varied audience, whom I'm sure appreciate the considertaion.

For instance, I like it when omni cooks offer vegan options. They don't HAVE to, but it sure is nice when they do.

Here's a good read from Harvard Medical regarding gluten:

Going gluten-free just because? Here’s what you need to know

And here's a funny video from JP Sears... he cracks me up.

Reactions: Emma JC
The thing is though, most of these vegan websites (the ones I use anyway) are specifically against counting calories and eliminating things from their diet, so I'm not sure if they are eating mostly gluten free because they are just jumping on the bandwagon. So I don't know

Gluten is controversial these days. Most sources claim that it is safe for everyone except those who have celiac disease. On the other hand, some health experts believe that gluten is harmful to most people.
What is gluten?
Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, rye, spelt and barley. Of the gluten-containing grains, wheat is by far the most commonly consumed. The two main proteins in gluten are glutenin and gliadin. Gliadin is responsible for most of the negative health effect When flour is mixed with water, the gluten proteins form a sticky network that has a glue-like consistency. This glue-like property makes the dough elastic and gives the bread the ability to rise when baked. It also provides a chewy, satisfying texture. Interestingly, the name gluten is derived from this glue-like property of wet dough.
Gluten is a family of proteins found in grains like wheat, spelt, rye and barley. Gliadin and glutenin are the two main gluten proteins.