Frugal month challenge

• Thread starter Deleted member 3018
  • Start date
When I'm hard up, I do a no spend week.

Give it a try it's amazing what comes your way.
And best of all it costs nothing.

That is a tremendous idea. In fact, I do this just to make sure I use things up, but I've never set a week long goal. It's actually not too hard if you have the basics. You can live on rice and beans, alone, if you had to.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
When I'm hard up, I do a no spend week.

Give it a try it's amazing what comes your way.
And best of all it costs nothing.

I absolutely love that idea!

This reminded me....
(I don't know if you can see the media, but I inserted a video.)

Obviously she did use some money on food, otherwise she wouldn't be alive to tell the story. Nevertheless, I find it amazing how far you can stretch your money and resources when you have determination.

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It's not logical, but it's often true." - Spock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gib
It's actually not too hard if you have the basics. You can live on rice and beans, alone, if you had to.*

This is true, but since I'm hopelessly paranoid, I'd definitely buy basmati rice, because it's content of arsenic is lower than in any other rice. And wouldn't eat rice every day, maybe max once a week. But that's just paranoid me... and besides, I'm not being logical for if you get variety from potatoes and pasta, that gives you diabetes. Yeah, maybe I shoud stop eating altogether, that'll save me money. (Just kidding, by the way.)

Tumeric and black pepper contains antioxidants, adding them to rice, more or less prevents ill effects. Also, boiling rice in a large amout of water should help getting rid of arsenic.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've read that California rice is known to have less arsenic. Also, soaking your rice ahead of time, then rinsing thoroughly afterwards reduces the arsenic, and the technique you mentioned of boiling in lots of water is also supposed to reduce quite a bit more.

I'm too old to be paranoid ;) I love my rice, but also use quinoa, farro, barley, etc. I try to mix things up a bit.

I've read that California rice is known to have less arsenic. Also, soaking your rice ahead of time, then rinsing thoroughly afterwards reduces the arsenic, and the technique you mentioned of boiling in lots of water is also supposed to reduce quite a bit more.

I'm too old to be paranoid ;) I love my rice, but also use quinoa, farro, barley, etc. I try to mix things up a bit.

That's a good way to look at it. Besides, it's not like any of us is getting out alive.

There are many ways to define what frugality means to you personally. Some say that using 200 euros a month to food is being frugal. The thing is it's not the amount of money you use, its where your money goes (if it is unhealthy, it isn't frugal) and how much you earn. Spending more than what you earn isn't considered frugal.
I have decided to live very simple life and have less (other way of describing it is "enough"). I'm also on a diet so eating only three or two small meals a day, without snacking, really helps me to stay slim, which is awesome!...well, I also have to exercise, but that's actually surprisingly entertaining.

This is true, but since I'm hopelessly paranoid, I'd definitely buy basmati rice, because it's content of arsenic is lower than in any other rice. And wouldn't eat rice every day, maybe max once a week. But that's just paranoid me... and besides, I'm not being logical for if you get variety from potatoes and pasta, that gives you diabetes. Yeah, maybe I shoud stop eating altogether, that'll save me money. (Just kidding, by the way.)

Hard to tell if you were joking about the Diabetes bit, but it isn't caused by carbs, even simple ones. Type II is caused by the inability of insulin to get into cells, primarily because those cells are clogged with fat. Neil Barnard has some excellent info on this worth looking at.

Tumeric and black pepper contains antioxidants, adding them to rice, more or less prevents ill effects. Also, boiling rice in a large amout of water should help getting rid of arsenic.

Brown/Black and other whole rice is generally better than white rice, primarily because the bran and germ are still present, which contain the B vitamins and minerals needed to metabolize the starch. The germ does have a shelf life though, so it will go off after a while, making the rice worthless.

The problem with boiling brown rice (and many other grains) in water is that all the B vitamins and minerals are water soluble. I boil my brown rice (after soaking it overnight first), but I also drink the boiling water because of this. Otherwise it's not much better than white rice.

As a fairly frequent brown rice eater, to my knowledge I'm not suffering from any ill effects.

Hard to tell if you were joking about the Diabetes bit, but it isn't caused by carbs, even simple ones. Type II is caused by the inability of insulin to get into cells, primarily because those cells are clogged with fat. Neil Barnard has some excellent info on this worth looking at.

Brown/Black and other whole rice is generally better than white rice, primarily because the bran and germ are still present, which contain the B vitamins and minerals needed to metabolize the starch. The germ does have a shelf life though, so it will go off after a while, making the rice worthless.

The problem with boiling brown rice (and many other grains) in water is that all the B vitamins and minerals are water soluble. I boil my brown rice (after soaking it overnight first), but I also drink the boiling water because of this. Otherwise it's not much better than white rice.

As a fairly frequent brown rice eater, to my knowledge I'm not suffering from any ill effects.
Whoa! Quess I have had an access to the wrong information, after all and am spreading ignorance. So thanks for correcting. Also, thank you for the new info. I'm going to try soaking (and then boiling) brown rice some day.

I have read alot (to my extent) about how the arsenic in brown rice correlates with various cancers. But I really like the taste of rice and so am going to consume it every now and then.

Never heard about Neil Barnard. I absolutely shoundn't play an expert on nutrition and health since I'm really lazy reading about it. All that interests is that the food eaten is vegan and somewhat healthy. Somehow the fear mongery revolving around rice rose alarm, even though secondhand smoking should be more worrying.

For the last two years I’ve been living pretty frugal.
Monthly grocery bill: $160
Monthly utilities: $0
Monthly rent: $350
Car insurance: $50
Cell phone: $55
Child support: $150
Spotify: $10
No credit cards or loans.
I eat out maybe twice a month at most. I only buy what I need. I own no furniture. Only 5 shorts, 5 pants, 6 pair of socks, 6 shirts (3 short sleeve and 3 long sleeve), 3 types of shoes. The beanie you see in my profile pic.
I drive a 2000 Ford ranger with 91k on the odometer. So other than routine maintenance, it’s pretty bulletproof.

Sorry, I missed the topic. How I plan my groceries is based entirely off of Chronometer. I know exactly what I’m going to eat for the week before I even get the store. I eat the same thing everyday. When I feel like switching it up I plug it into Chronometer before I go to make sure my nutrition is met. I spend around $40 a week.

Sorry, I missed the topic. How I plan my groceries is based entirely off of Chronometer. I know exactly what I’m going to eat for the week before I even get the store. I eat the same thing everyday. When I feel like switching it up I plug it into Chronometer before I go to make sure my nutrition is met. I spend around $40 a week.
No worries. I actually like how specifically you can track your expences.
And that's not somekind of weird joke. I don't do well with sarcasm and such.
Isn't it strangely freeing when you know exactly what you need and why (and that you can afford it)? To me it is and I try to keep it like that in my life also.

Sorry that I didn't respond sooner.