Fresh Finds - Santa Fe Rice & Beans

sleepydvdr

Forum Legend
Reaction score
This is a Big Lots branded microwave meal. It is one of 3 shelf storable ready-to-eat meals that are vegan friendly that I ran across recently. It contains rice, beans, corn and bell peppers in a thick tomato-based sauce (although it doesn’t taste much like tomatoes). The picture on the cover shows more bell peppers than what it really contains and unlike the picture, there is no cilantro. As with any microwave meal, they exaggerate, but that’s to be expected. It is decently spiced and almost tastes like it has hint of cumin in it, but the ingredients don’t list cumin. It’s fairly nutritious: 270 calories, 4g of fiber and 6g of protein.

The back of the package says it’s vegetarian, but since it contains no dairy, eggs or honey, I would feel confident in proclaiming that it’s vegan. It’s priced at $1.50 (wow!), which is a bargain for such a product. Considering the convenience of being shelf stable, a great price and a fairly good tasting meal, I can wholeheartedly recommend this product.

Stats:
Veg friendly? It’s vegan!
Taste: 7/10 stars
Quality: 8/10 stars
Value: 10/10 stars
Price: $1.50