FR France's own Trump?

I was half asleep this morning and I was surprised to read that MLP has stepped down from FN as leader, but I realised it was only temporary as she is trying to get wider support?
My understanding was it was permanent, unless of course her party wants her back after the election, and they actually might not. The election is a sort of a test of her outwardly non-racist party line. If she loses big in the election, the party might decide to go back to the policies and less disciplined and restrained public statements of the days of her father. If so, she wouldn't be a good fit as leader again.

“I think we should be able to discuss this problem [of gas chambers],” Mr Jalkh is quoted as saying before describing the work of Holocaust denier Robert Faurisson, who was previously convicted for “complicity in contesting the existence of crimes against humanity”, as “serious” and “rigorous”.

According to the French newspaper, he went on to say the use of Zyklon B gas for “mass extermination was technically impossible”.
More: Man replacing Marine Le Pen as Front National leader quits after Holocaust denial accusation (28. April 2017)

It is shocking that a far right candidate could get 35% of the vote in France. It would be like Ukip or the BNP doing that well over here.

I hope that Macron manages to do a good job as I have heard quite a few journalists say that FN are preparing for the election in 2022.

It is shocking that a far right candidate could get 35% of the vote in France. It would be like Ukip or the BNP doing that well over here.
The UK also doesn't have as much of a failing economy, ghettos of failed integration, and a recent wave of Islamist terror attacks. I think elections here would be much different under such conditions.

I have noticed that the polls the French use seem much more accurate than the UK ones.

Well, they did manage to pull off the Brexit vote, did they not?

No, as over 17 million people voted to leave the EU and I doubt very much that they all had far right views. Some left wing people thought we would be better out as well.

I hope that Macron manages to do a good job as I have heard quite a few journalists say that FN are preparing for the election in 2022.

Not really. What many people think or express don't seem to be matching what journalists and the main stream media are saying.
Every day life for the average worker is very difficult over here. There is a high unemployment rate and taxes are high. State School classes have too many pupils per class and teachers that have little or no incentive, the NHS is on the brink of collapsing, burglars have no fear as the police release most of the offenders and many people fear terrorism.

This is why millions of French people vote Marine Le Pen for president

Not really. What many people think or express don't seem to be matching what journalists and the main stream media are saying.
Every day life for the average worker is very difficult over here. There is a high unemployment rate and taxes are high. State School classes have too many pupils per class and teachers that have little or no incentive, the NHS is on the brink of collapsing, burglars have no fear as the police release most of the offenders and many people fear terrorism.

It's unfortunate that difficult times bring out the worst in so many individuals' natures instead of the best. Post WWI, the economic crisis in Germany resulted in so many Germans focusing their fear and hatred on Jews, and we know the results of that. Now, much lesser crises are causing people to focus their rage on immigrants, Jews, people with brown skin, etc. Those reactions always cause catastrophes that are infinitely greater than the original problems.

We never learn.

Last edited:
It's unfortunate that difficult times bring out the worst in so many individuals' natures instead of the best.
It's difficult to be selfless when your future appears doomed thanks to globalisation and austerity. It's easy to become frustrated when all the mainstream politicians are singing the praises of said globalisation. "Who out of these elite-educated people are representing me?" Your salary is going nowhere while prices and taxes go up. Meanwhile, the well-off are having a splendid time with their perfect lives in their perfect houses (built by cheap eastern European labourers), big, shiny cars (imported, of course) and holiday homes, while laughing all the way to the bank. There's an election, and you're given the option to give them a kick in the shins ...

Last edited:

It's difficult to be selfless when your future appears doomed thanks to globalisation and austerity. It's easy to become frustrated when all the mainstream politicians are singing the praises of said globalisation. "Who out of these elite-educated people are representing me?" Your salary is going nowhere while prices and taxes go up. Meanwhile, the well-off are having a splendid time with their perfect lives in their perfect houses (built by cheap eastern European labourers), big, shiny cars (imported, of course) and holiday homes, while laughing all the way to the bank. There's an election, and you're given the option to give them a kick in the shins ...

I will be interested to see if AndyT actually responds to these posts as he seems to constantly quote me and attack my posts on this thread, even though I don't live in France, am generally pro-EU and voted Remain in the EU referendum.

I've noticed that there is a huge gap between what mainstream media and many politicians are saying compared to what many people think. I've exchanged many points of view with Brits and people over here. Perhaps the elite should mingle more with the crowd.
The majority of people are not happy with the near future and the fear is that they will end up much poorer due to globalisation.

I will be interested to see if AndyT actually responds to these posts as he seems to constantly quote me and attack my posts on this thread, even though I don't live in France, am generally pro-EU and voted Remain in the EU referendum.

Moll, I 'm sorry that you feel I am trying to attack you or your posts, that is not my intention.

I must say that after reading the (IMO not very well written, with lots of grammar mistakes) article, many of the arguments given do sound like arguments that are propagated by the right wing, but possibly not correct (same thing happens in Germany all the time) to me.

The article said:
"I want her to give a chance to French people above the others and give work to people who need it," said Rosaline Glauzy, also from the Paris suburb of Bagneux.

The article said:
Student Roxanne Boissel said: "I know a lot of students who don’t have work because those jobs are going to immigrants. France has homeless living in the streets but immigrants are given housing.

The article said:
"I’m voting for Le Pen for a return to national sovereignty and a return of power to French people so we are dictated to by Brussels. I want a return to a Europe of nations," said Valentin Manent, aged 28 a stage technician from the city of Orleans.

The article said:
"I will vote Marine Le Pen to stop the rise of Islamic fundamentalism in France more than anything else because it’s a real problem for the country and for all of Europe," said Gregory a civil servant from near Paris. "All those who are considered a danger should be expelled from France."

But then, I would see things differently, as I am more left-leaning obviously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amy SF
I must say that after reading the (IMO not very well written, with lots of grammar mistakes) article, many of the arguments given do sound like arguments that are propagated by the right wing, but possibly not correct (same thing happens in Germany all the time) to me.

But then, I would see things differently, as I am more left-leaning obviously.

The quotes were made by French people and translated into English, most probably with Google translate. However, I think that their statements are very clear.

Last edited: