FR France's own Trump?

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
Hollande's Le Monde interviews 'political suicide' - BBC News
Francois Hollande, France's President, goes all "Trump" ... must be the new political spin.
In a collection of interviews just published by two Le Monde journalists, the French president unburdens himself, in astonishingly cavalier style, of a series of revealing jibes:
  • The justice system is full of "cowards"
  • There are "too many" immigrants
  • There is a "problem" with Islam
  • Footballers need "brain-building"
  • Intellectuals are "not very interested in the idea of France"
There's more. Presidential predecessor and Republican candidate Nicolas Sarkozy is a "crude mini-De Gaulle" and a "Duracell rabbit". The Greens are a "cynical pain in the butt" and left-wing rebels are a "crowd of idiots".

And, on a personal note, ex-partner Valerie Trierweiler was a traitor because she lied about his famous "toothless" quote about the poor.

Perhaps most damaging of all, not a jibe but a revelation: the admission that he personally ordered the assassination of four enemies of the state, presumably militants in the Middle East. The secret services must be fuming. (This last one is a real doozy ... await backlash, legal action etc)

I watched a documentary about Marine LePen the other day. She has really turned her father's party around, though she had to kick him out as part of that process. The party would never have come this far under his influence.

While the outright racist rethoric has been purged, Marine has recruited new people who are less overtly racist, but still racist and of highly questionable character, to help behind the scenes.

There is also an interesting power struggle brewing between Marine and her younger niece.

I had been reading a couple of weeks ago that Macron was likely to win, but there are four possible finalists now. Macron came to London a couple of months ago and he got a warm welcome from the French nationals living here. I read in the Guardian that there are so many French people living in Kensington, London that it is nicknamed Frog Alley. I had never heard of that before! Not the nicest nickname.:eek:

French Election Shocker: Pollsters Baffled by Four-Way Contest - Bloomberg

If Marine Le Pen came to London, the Britain First and EDL crowd would certainly be there to warmly welcome her :)

Well, it wouldn't really matter if she did as they can't vote in a French election, unless you think there are a lot of French people in Britain First. My point was that Macron seems popular with French nationals living here.

I think it is interesting how there are two rounds in the French elections. I read that people usually use the first round as a protest vote?

Macron faces uncertain first round as French election hopefuls vie for last votes | World news | The Guardian

o_O Okay, why are you even talking about British politics in a thread about the French election anyway? No idea what point you are trying to make.

He's not talking only about British politics. I think he's trying to say that at least two presidential candidates in the French election have like-minded supporters in Britain, and not just with French nationals and expats.

French election 2017: All you need to know - BBC News

He's not talking only about British politics. I think he's trying to say that at least two presidential candidates in the French election have like-minded supporters in Britain, and not just with French nationals and expats.

He was clearly talking about Britain as he mentioned London, the group Britain First and the English Defence League and I was talking about French nationals living here. I thought he would be more concerned with people in Germany who support Le Pen. I would have thought the French election and result would be of particular interest to people living there.

I thought he would be more concerned with people in Germany who support Le Pen. I would have thought the French election and result would be of particular interest to people living there.

I am concerned with German, French, English and other supporters of Le Pen, AFD/Pegida in Germany, the Austrian FPÖ, Italy's Lega Nord and the mentioned British organizations, all of which are heavily supported by Russias Putin (together with our common friend in the US, Mr. Trump and the GOP). It is my belief that this danger does not stop at national borders.

Right-wing populism - Wikipedia

I only just heard about the Paris attack now.:( It seems like Daesh are obviously trying to influence the election. The BBC Europe editor thinks that the attack may not benefit Le Pen but that the French voters will prefer Fillon as he has more experience? Fears that Paris shooting will affect presidental election as first round looms | World news | The Guardian

Completely changing the subject, I had read that Macron is married to a woman much older than him, but I only just read that she was his former teacher.
Emmanuel Macron: Is this the man who can radically change France? - BBC News

I only just heard about the Paris attack now.:( It seems like Daesh are obviously trying to influence the election. The BBC Europe editor thinks that the attack may not benefit Le Pen but that the French voters will prefer Fillon as he has more experience? Fears that Paris shooting will affect presidental election as first round looms | World news | The Guardian

Completely changing the subject, I had read that Macron is married to a woman much older than him, but I only just read that she was his former teacher.
Emmanuel Macron: Is this the man who can radically change France? - BBC News

That is correct. He is 39 and she is 64. Her own daughter was in the same class as Macron.

The results aren't official. The numbers given are from polls. However, it is safe to say that the Macron and Le Pen are the finalists.