Fragrance Free Workplaces

I'm very sensitive to chemical fragrances. Most perfumes give me a headache even in small quantities. When applied heavily enough that the perfume can be smelled after the person leaves the area, I end up with a migraine and, on more than one occasion, vomiting. I can sometimes even TASTE the chemicals in my mouth as someone is walking up to me. It really baffles me how people can put on perfume so heavily and not be sickened by it.

I often run up against people thinking I just "don't like" their perfume, and they get really pissy about it. It's not the case at all- even if I actually LIKE the scent, it can still make me feel physically ill. If your perfume makes me actually vomit, it's not because I "don't like" it.

I used to burn a lot of incense and scented candles at home, I used highly fragranced lotions and stuff, but a few years ago I just started getting sick from it.

There are a few notable exceptions- I can wear some Fresh perfumes if I put them on lightly, and I've never had any problem whatsoever from Lush products.

Edit: oh yeah, I support fragrance-free work places.

I hate the smell of cleaning supplies and perfumes... they really bother me so I'm all for scent free places.

Interesting. I find the problem also is the fact that a lot of perfumes are alcohol based, it really contributes to the headache factor.

I'm very sensitive to chemical fragrances. Most perfumes give me a headache even in small quantities. When applied heavily enough that the perfume can be smelled after the person leaves the area, I end up with a migraine and, on more than one occasion, vomiting. I can sometimes even TASTE the chemicals in my mouth as someone is walking up to me. It really baffles me how people can put on perfume so heavily and not be sickened by it.

Aside from the vomiting, YES. I cannot stand artificial fragrances and air fresheners. It feels like they are seeping into my lungs and my brain and trying to kill me. It's less perfumes than air fresheners, though I usually can't stand to walk into perfume sections in stores because that same thing happens. Same with candle stores. Some people (e.g. my mother who doesn't believe me, everyone else) act like candle stores are the pinnacle of happiness and love and amazing scents and awesome experiences or something. To me, they reek.

I am all for scent free. I started doing it myself many years ago when my cat Sassafras developed severe asthma. And since I started living with multiple parrots, I've become even more aware of the hazards - most things with a strong scent can cause long term ill effects to a bird's respiratory system, and in many cases kill a bird outright.

Even before that, certain scents have always given me headaches and/or made me feel queasy.

I am everyone's worst nightmare.:D I love scented things. Scented candles, air fresheners, body lotions, body sprays, incense, fragrance oils, etc.

I am everyone's worst nightmare.:D I love scented things. Scented candles, air fresheners, body lotions, body sprays, incense, fragrance oils, etc.

I like some scented things but not others. I love the smell of incense but I get headaches with it : ( . I like essential oils burning but I get a headache with ones that are artificial. Also, lavender gives me a headache even though I like it, which is unfortunate.

It is usually synthetic smells that give me a headache. Perfumes bother me in varying ways.

I don't mind scent as long as it's relatively natural. Not on any sort of principle, things that smell unnatural just make me sick and/or give me a headache. Leather is fine. Vinyl car seats? I'd rather ride on the roof. Tobacco, incense, weed... cool. Weird flavours in your cigarette? If I attack you with an axe at this point, it's self defence.

Deodorant of any kind and most sorts of perfume automatically put you on my avoid list. Great, you smell like 'cherry' soda - now **** off!

I love the smell of vinyl now, as it means new shoes!

I'm not going to waste the effort arguing over this, but someone probably will.

I wasn't being that strict with my application of the term 'natural'. It's just much less likely to make me sick than plastic-ish materials of similar aesthetic appearance.

I wasn't being that strict with my application of the term 'natural'. It's just much less likely to make me sick than plastic-ish materials of similar aesthetic appearance.

I'm not saying anything. I'm simply saying that someone else probably will.

Which, by the powers of reverse psychology, means nobody will say anything, dammit...

That does seem rather self-defeating.
WARNING: Graphic spoiler content
Actually, no. Whether anyone responds or not, I'm right.
You see, if nobody says anything, then it is exactly as I predicted.
If somebody says something, then it is exactly how I planned - reverse of reverse psychology, causing them to want to defy what is predicted.
:D

Isn't that a bit like fighting with yourself? Whatever the outcome, you win and lose...