Fragrance Free Workplaces

Occasionally someone will smell like cigarettes and woodsmoke and it reminds me of childhood. Mostly I don't like cigarette smoke smell. Better than perfume though.

Reactions: thefadedone
The laundry/cleaning aisle at the store always gave me headaches even as a kid. My mom would never believe this. Artificial air fresheners at home or in the car give me a headache and also make me kind of queasy, but oddly enough candles do not. So I'm all for scent free workplaces. I know many people have much more serious side effects from scents than I do.

The laundry/cleaning aisle at the store always gave me headaches even as a kid. My mom would never believe this. Artificial air fresheners at home or in the car give me a headache and also make me kind of queasy, but oddly enough candles do not.

Candles, a few at a time, don't hurt me, but stores full of them are like sensory overload.

Candles, a few at a time, don't hurt me, but stores full of them are like sensory overload.

It's weird because I love candle stores and the aroma doesn't bother me, but just walking past a Hollister store gives me a headache. Odd that I can tolerate most scents, but I find the smell of super heavy cologne or perfume way too overwhelming.

I also can't stand strong perfume at work. They either give me a migraine if I'm feeling tired or even make me feel sick. It is surprising that it is allowed on work premises as when you entre the dept there is an awful odour of around 20 different types of perfume which give an awful cheap end result.:eek:

I also cannot stand fabric softener on clothes and never use it.

I'm very sensitive to chemical fragrances. Most perfumes give me a headache even in small quantities. When applied heavily enough that the perfume can be smelled after the person leaves the area, I end up with a migraine and, on more than one occasion, vomiting. I can sometimes even TASTE the chemicals in my mouth as someone is walking up to me. It really baffles me how people can put on perfume so heavily and not be sickened by it.

I often run up against people thinking I just "don't like" their perfume, and they get really pissy about it. It's not the case at all- even if I actually LIKE the scent, it can still make me feel physically ill. If your perfume makes me actually vomit, it's not because I "don't like" it.

Edit: oh yeah, I support fragrance-free work places.

This is me exactly. It doesn't matter if I "like" the fragrance or not. If it's obvious that the wearer has bathed in it, it will make me ill. Even when lightly worn, it gives me a headache. More than once I've felt the need to complain to the person sharing an office with me that their perfume or whatever was strong enough to upset me. Fortunately, they were both understanding, but I had to run outside the office and stand in the hallway in order to breathe freely.

This is me exactly. It doesn't matter if I "like" the fragrance or not. If it's obvious that the wearer has bathed in it, it will make me ill. Even when lightly worn, it gives me a headache. More than once I've felt the need to complain to the person sharing an office with me that their perfume or whatever was strong enough to upset me. Fortunately, they were both understanding, but I had to run outside the office and stand in the hallway in order to breathe freely.

I know what you mean and this happens to me frequently.o_O

Some perfumes make me feel sick too. The perfume sections in department stores make me feel ill, why are they always on the bottom floor so you have to walk through them?:rolleyes:

I like incense though and I burn incense sticks all the time.

I also cannot stand fabric softener on clothes and never use it.

The same for me. I hated it even as a kid, and have never been able to understand why so many people use it.

Some perfumes make me feel sick too. The perfume sections in department stores make me feel ill, why are they always on the bottom floor so you have to walk through them?:rolleyes:

Over here, it seems as though fragrance departments are always located in the center of the store, next to the escalators. Just one of the reasons I avoid department stores.

Oddly enough, if it's the right fragrance, I like one scented candle burning. Haven't done it for years though, because of the aforementioned cat and the birds.

i do wear cologne. but i'm not a splash on kind of guy. i spray a little on my undershirt. i've just brought my cross out so you folks don't have to get one to crucify me. I want to make your lives a little easier.

i do wear cologne. but i'm not a splash on kind of guy. i spray a little on my undershirt. i've just brought my cross out so you folks don't have to get one to crucify me. I want to make your lives a little easier.

You can wear all the colgne you like, as long as we all meet only on the internetz. :p

The right scents, lightly applied, smell pleasant to me. However, I'm aware that other people's scent sensitivities are different from mine, and in order to not have to put everyone's perfume and colgne preferences to a vote, scent free makes sense as far as I'm concerned.

I think heavy scent users have become so used to the scents they wear that they don't even realize the impact - I've been on elevators with people, and then I smell like them for the rest of the day.

You can wear all the colgne you like, as long as we all meet only on the internetz. :p

The right scents, lightly applied, smell pleasant to me. However, I'm aware that other people's scent sensitivities are different from mine, and in order to not have to put everyone's perfume and colgne preferences to a vote, scent free makes sense as far as I'm concerned.

I think heavy scent users have become so used to the scents they wear that they don't even realize the impact - I've been on elevators with people, and then I smell like them for the rest of the day.
yeah, and that's why i spray only a little on an undershirt rather than on the outside. i've never had a complaint and my wife would call me out if it was too much.

so, i'll be heading over to visit you soon enough woman. To take a look at your zoo.

I like the scent of some perfume and aftershave. I often walk past women on the street who smell really gorgeous but I don't pursue them to tell them as it may be a little creepy.:weird:

I like the scent of some perfume and aftershave. I often walk past women on the street who smell really gorgeous but I don't pursue them to tell them as it may be a little creepy.:weird:

I'd be very willing to watch you try that and see what happens. :fp:

I like incense though and I burn incense sticks all the time.

It could be worse... they might put it at the top and let the smell drift down through the entire store. :D