Forum revamp preview

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Sorry this has taken so long, I'm needing your feedback on the new version of the forum on which will go live within the next few weeks or so, it's not complete yet and I'm still working on it so it's still a bit rough around the edges but this will give you a good feel for where we're heading.

Something to note is that the media section isn't currently available on the preview, the ratings bar is missing and may very well not make it into the final version (your ratings wont be accurate on the preview either) and unfortunately the developer of the "moods" feature we're using is no longer maintaining their add-on so I'm afraid we're going to have to drop it.

Bare in mind that anything you create on the preview will be deleted once we're ready to upgrade.

https://www.new.veganforum.org/

Will signatures carry over? they aren't visible so far.

ty for your hard work, Emma JC

Reactions: Damo
Wouldn't it be helpful if the signatures showed to Guests as well as members?

Yours, for example, is a very significant signature as it clearly states very important facts.

Whenever I check, who is online, there are always way more guests than members so a large percentage of people reading posts are guests.

Emma JC

The user info section beneath avatars is distracting. Maybe get rid of the points/age/location info.

Thanks for your work!

currently

Members Online Now
  1. Mbeth,
  2. Emma JC,
  3. Lou,
  4. Let's Talk Vegan,
  5. Sax
Total: 72 (members: 5, guests: 56, robots: 11)

Emma JC

Understood Emma, makes sense to have them visible to guests too.

I like the look but am a little disappointed to see moods go ha ha.

Sorry! Hopefully someone else will release something similar, we'll definitely add functionality back when possible. :)

The user info section beneath avatars is distracting. Maybe get rid of the points/age/location info.

Thanks for your work!

Where are you seeing this Sax? Mobile or desktop?

Ah I see. I could potentially remove the icons in favour of text so it resembles something similar to what we currently have?

Yeah, the low contrast small text we have now isn't as distracting.

I don't think anyone cares about the points, and I noticed a lot of members chose not to share their age.

How does it look now Sax?

Also how do you all feel about changing the forum logo to an avocado rather than leaf? Check the link again.

I don't have any problem with the avocado. But I think I like the leaf better.

Agree with @Lou the avocado looks ugly by comparison to the current leaf.

Emma JC

Oh dear. How about this instead? Obviously without the watermark. Trying to find something else that sort of fits in with the rest of the new style.

leaf-256.png

Nicer than the avocado for sure - is there anything wrong with keeping what you already have?

Emma JC

Just to chime in on the icon:

I like the leaf (or, a leaf) as an icon primarily because it sums up
what vegans are, or are primarily known as - consumers of foods from the
plant kingdom, only. Any specific food (apple/avocado,celery etc) may be
one that some vegans may not eat, or eat regularly. A general symbol
therefore represents us better, imo.

Nicer than the avocado for sure - is there anything wrong with keeping what you already have?

Emma JC

The newer style has more of a "flat" feeling to it, the old/current logo feels out of place plus we've had it for 4/5 ish years.

We have graphic designers at work so I may see if they'll be happy to create something that fits well with the new style.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Anyone residing far west able to play around with the forum over here? https://www.veganforum.org/ Actually if everyone west (US, Canada etc... ) could give me their opinion on the snappiness of the forum using the link above would be great! Don't post anything using this link it's just another temporary instance, much appreciated! :)