Food waste

I learned a hack for keeping the spring mix or arugula fresher longer.... put a paper towel so that it is trapped between the lid and the contents and then store it upside down in the fridge - the moisture drops onto the paper towel and wicks away... works well.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Oh wait. why not just put the paper towel on the bottom?

When I store berries I put the paper towel on the bottom. I also some of those Tupperware containers with a vent at the top.

Even so I seem to always have to throw away a few moldy strawberries.

Recently I made up a new rule that I can't have strawberries and blueberries at the same time. I just alternate them when I buy them. If I end up with the berries for a long time I just freeze them. same with bananas.

I buy living lettuce. that seems to last a long time .

and I store my celery standing up in a little water.

I learned a hack for keeping the spring mix or arugula fresher longer.... put a paper towel so that it is trapped between the lid and the contents and then store it upside down in the fridge - the moisture drops onto the paper towel and wicks away... works well.

Emma JC
That's just what I do, but sometimes that last salad bowl has to be picked through.
Why are the 16 oz containers so much cheaper than the 5 oz? Here I find 5 oz for usually $3 and big 16 oz for $4.50 Same kind of spring mix blend

When I store berries I put the paper towel on the bottom. I also some of those Tupperware containers with a vent at the top.

Recently I made up a new rule that I can't have strawberries and blueberries at the same time. I just alternate them when I buy them. If I end up with the berries for a long time I just freeze them. same with bananas.

I buy living lettuce. that seems to last a long time .

Cause I buy the pound cartons of spring mix and it's easier to put the towel on top :)
I forgot about that living lettuce! Next time I go somewhere besides Aldi I'll look

Cause I buy the pound cartons of spring mix and it's easier to put the towel on top :)
I forgot about that living lettuce! Next time I go somewhere besides Aldi I'll look
Ooooooh. that IS a good idea if you aren't using your own plastic containers. I will start doing that too.

because you would have to take all the contents out to get the paper towel in and the point is that it wicks the moisture out through the lid where the paper towel is sticking out

I only buy frozen as they are fresher and so don't have a mold issue.

I do the same paper towel trick with celery and green onions and romaine - I stick a paper towel in the bag and leave it sticking out the top, it wicks any moisture out.

And @silva I think the containers and the shipping are the main costs so that is why the 16 oz doesn't cost a lot more than the 5 oz.

Emma JC

I picked up the paper towel hack and a few others from Simnett Nutrition - if you google - simnett nutrition food hacks - his 3 videos will come up first, 2 on hacks and 1 on getting more nutrition from your food.

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou