Food allergies ? Best dog food?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Mo has an awful itching problem. On top of that, she smells bad- I mean bad. This doggie reeks! So I took her to the vet ,ears checked out fine, no infection , no fleas that we could see (had her treated anyway just to be safe, since we have squirrels in the yard). She was given a steroid injection, antibiotics, essential fatty acid pills. I dislike the injections-the previous one has caused a weight gain of two pounds (not great for a small doggie),not to mention other adverse side effects.
SO ... now we are on to ruling out the cause of the problem.. I continued to feed her the same food she received from her foster mom, but after reading the label (Pedigree for small dogs), I saw the first ingredient was corn. This leads me to believe there could be a grain allergy involved. My questions:

What have you guys found to be the best dog food?
Has anyone given your dog canned pumpkin to help with digestion? I've heard it could also help with weight loss.

Any advice is most appreciated!

Mo has an awful itching problem. On top of that, she smells bad- I mean bad. This doggie reeks! So I took her to the vet ,ears checked out fine, no infection , no fleas that we could see (had her treated anyway just to be safe, since we have squirrels in the yard). She was given a steroid injection, antibiotics, essential fatty acid pills. I dislike the injections-the previous one has caused a weight gain of two pounds (not great for a small doggie),not to mention other adverse side effects.
SO ... now we are on to ruling out the cause of the problem.. I continued to feed her the same food she received from her foster mom, but after reading the label (Pedigree for small dogs), I saw the first ingredient was corn. This leads me to believe there could be a grain allergy involved. My questions:

What have you guys found to be the best dog food?
Has anyone given your dog canned pumpkin to help with digestion? I've heard it could also help with weight loss.

Any advice is most appreciated!
I have added canned pumpkin, my little Dachshund is old and ill, and needs soft foods.

She tolerates the Newmans Own canned, but they all reek of fish except the beef one. I have been getting her this refrigerated type mostly now, and give smushed up fruit like blueberries for treats.

I also add probiotics and enzymes to her food (in the same mix, very inexpensive) that seems to help her digestion. She eats cooked vegetables too, but I don't give added grains too much.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370210192297.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370210192297.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 162
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370210275560.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370210275560.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 146
I've also mixed canned pumpkin in with my dog's food. She loves it. She will scarf down any veggies I put in her food. I'm currently feeding her Halo dog food. It's not grain free, but corn free and has never been recalled. I was previously giving her grain free Wellness and then EVO small breed dog foods, but they recent both had recalls and she did seem to have some stomach issues around those times.

http://www.halopets.com/ingredients/index.php