Animal Advocacy Foie gras ban in California goes into effect

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
(Reuters) - Sunday marks a turning point in the culinary calendar of California when a ban enacted nearly eight years ago on foie gras - the gourmet food made from the fattened livers of force-fed ducks and geese - takes effect.

In advance of the July 1 date, some businesses have moved out of state and others have closed. Many chefs and restaurants have held foie gras dinners in a final toast to the delicacy they love, while animal rights activists have cheered and jeered. And n France, the major producer and consumer of the delicacy, politicians and chefs have cried foul.

Read more:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/29/uk-food-foiegras-california-idUSLNE85S00S20120629

II'm so pleased that CA has done this.

Geese and duck farming is atrocious. The birds are cooped up in filthy cages and force fed until they get liver cirrhosis. They live an awful life as they become sick.
France is the N°1 consumer in the world and no one over here gives a hoot. They gobble up the stuff all year round.

This was on the news at work. Many of the comments being made by the chefs interviewed were laughably bad.. "This represents something very dark - a sinister agenda." Yeah, sure. We're the sinister ones.

Ducks (female ones at least) are among the most vulnerable and sweetest beings on earth. I look at my guys and I am sickened by what my species does to them.

I agree, they are gorgeous mites.

I also feel sick to hear that a friend's husband shoots wild ducks every week ! Sick man !!!!!!

The LA Times has printed nothing but whiny rants from everyone ever since the ban was enacted. Now that it's going into effect, the whining has gotten louder. :rolleyes:

Great news! Hopefully other states will follow their lead.

Luckily I don't live in an area where Foie Gras is a common dish on a menu at restaurants, but we also don't have many restaurants that specialize in French cuisine.

Veal on the other hand is insanely popular. Almost all pizza places, Italian restaurants, delis, and grocery stores sell it.

Great news! Hopefully other states will follow their lead.

Luckily I don't live in an area where Foie Gras is a common dish on a menu at restaurants, but we also don't have many restaurants that specialize in French cuisine.

Veal on the other hand is insanely popular. Almost all pizza places, Italian restaurants, delis, and grocery stores sell it.

When I see this on a menu it makes me cringe.:mad:

Reactions: thefadedone
The LA Times has printed nothing but whiny rants from everyone ever since the ban was enacted. Now that it's going into effect, the whining has gotten louder. :rolleyes:

Let them though, honestly it will shine light on the practice of which I had never heard of till people started bitching about the ban. I'd be willing to bet I wasn't alone in my ignorance.

It actually still surprises me that these gluttons truly have no shame, that they would bellow so loudly over having to give up just one food that is obtained by such egregious torture. I know all animal sourced food is obtained through suffering of one kind or another, but geez. :(

How could anyone eat liver anyway? *hurl*
Heh, the French are masters at passing off garbage as haute cuisine.

It actually still surprises me that these gluttons truly have no shame, that they would bellow so loudly over having to give up just one food that is obtained by such egregious torture. I know all animal sourced food is obtained through suffering of one kind or another, but geez. :(

You should see how the French munch away on their Foie gras toasts ! They are the N° 1 consumers in the world and will not be giving it up in the futur.:mad:

Bowels are no garbage in most parts of the world. It's one of the crazy facts of meat-eating that people eat only specific parts of animals and classify these as edible. Just think about shark fin soup...:mad:
I guess this helps to maintain the mental frontier between "meat" and "animal". For most people it is much easier to eat "pork" or "beef" than to eat "liver", "lung", "stomach" or e.g. zampone = "big feet" (filled feet of pigs, a delicacy in some parts of Italy) - these names remind (sensitive) people too much of their own body....

Back to the topic: I hope more states will join CA!
Many countries in the EU also banned this practice - but import and sale of the products is still allowed! In France foie gras has been classified as "national and culinary cultural heritage" in 2005 and thus animal welfare legislation has no impact on it. :bang:

Bowels are no garbage in most parts of the world. It's one of the crazy facts of meat-eating that people eat only specific parts of animals and classify these as edible. Just think about shark fin soup...:mad:
I guess this helps to maintain the mental frontier between "meat" and "animal". For most people it is much easier to eat "pork" or "beef" than to eat "liver", "lung", "stomach" or e.g. zampone = "big feet" (filled feet of pigs, a delicacy in some parts of Italy) - these names remind (sensitive) people too much of their own body....

Back to the topic: I hope more states will join CA!
Many countries in the EU also banned this practice - but import and sale of the products is still allowed! In France foie gras has been classified as "national and culinary cultural heritage" in 2005 and thus animal welfare legislation has no impact on it. :bang:

That is exactley what a collegue told me; they have to eat it because it is part of their culture.
:dance: