Animal Rights Ruling Overturns Foie Gras Ban in California

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Foie gras ban overturned in California - Jan. 8, 2015

This was two days ago; I'm surprised nobody else has already posted a thread about it, so here it is now.

I'm very upset about this, of course, but at least I'm not the only one. In today's edition of the Los Angeles Times, the editor of the opinion section stated that they received "several dozen" letters criticizing the ruling, and the Times printed five of those letters.

Foie gras fans, of course, are gleeful, no, they're gloating. At least one local popular restaurant, Melisse, (in Santa Monica) apparently plans to put foie gras back on the menu (the Times today ran a photo of protestors outside the restaurant). I've never eaten there but had wanted to, and sadly, now I won't be able to, as I now have a big reason not to.

*sigh* I don't know what animal rights supporters can do about this ruling, other than urge boycotts of restaurants that serve foie gras.

One of my FB friends posted how disgusted he was about this, which surprised me as he isn't really an animal rights person. Then one of his demented friends posted a video showing the force feeding and slaughter of the geese (I didn't watch it) along with an article about it being humane, and she claimed it wasn't inhumane at all to do that to them and that the geese were actually happy after being force fed. :confused:

I got this email:

Dear animal lover:

As you may know, several days ago a federal judge enjoined the California Attorney General from enforcing part of California's foie gras ban. You can read about this awful decision and its unfortunate consequences here: The foie gras ban ruling is wrong; California does have the right to stop the force-feeding of poultry - LA Times.

You can help get the ban reinstated by e-mailing and/or calling California Attorney General Kamala Harris at PIU@doj.ca.gov or 800-952-5225. The Twitter address for Kamala Harris's office is CA Attorney General (@CalAGHarris) on Twitter. Please reach out to the AG's office and let her know we want her to appeal this terrible decision!

Thanks,

APRL

Reactions: Amy SF