Fishless Fish

@Ger

Nice pickup. I missed this article.

Thank god for the NYT. An excellent written, researched and unbiased article.

If anyone has the time after reading the article - the comments are pretty interesting too. I didn't read all of them - there are over 100.

I'm glad there is some emphasis on fish. but as the article pointed out it, a lot of the Impossible Burger's success comes from people concerned with health. Fish isn't usually associated with a health risk.

Hi, I used to eat fish and feel good. But after I bought an aquarium and loved my fish, I can't eat fish anymore. Fish became my pets. I don't know if you'll understand how I feel. Perhaps someone had a similar experience. It's like eating a pig and having a pet pig. And so I am very glad that I bought an aquarium because the fish calm me down. I really enjoy watching their lives. And when I ordered coral reefs for my aquarium, I found an interesting article on arcreef.com. And I like how many interesting things are hidden in the underwater life.

Tropical fish as a hobby is problematic for vegans. There are issues with how the tropical fish are bought and sold. and also the corals.

I actually don't know that much about it. But if you are into the hobby you should take steps to make sure that your hobby does not affect the fish or their habitats in an environmentally adverse way.

and check out the last half of this article where they explain how you make your hobby ok.

I've had the Gardein fishless filet and strangly do taste fishy.

images

I rarely have fish 'n' chips but do enjoy when I did. Near us is Archies and they also have mushy peas.

Archies-Fish-and-Chips-fries.jpg

I've never liked the idea of vegan fish but that looks tasty and reminds me of how much I miss fish and chips.:(:sob:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I read a while ago that they think that fish-less fish is the next frontier. Plant milk, plant-based meat are settled territories. Plenty for room for growth in the eggs and cheese departments. The fish-less fish landscape is almost empty. Besides our regular stand by the only new entry is Good Catch's vegan tuna - now available at Whole Foods.

• Friendly
I wish they're just sell fried batter--like Popeyes. Years back my son brought some Popeyes chicken. I loved their batter and picked some of it from the box. I never fry anything but if I could just buy a bag of fried batter I would.
Why the heck can't they sell more fried veggies? why are onion rings or mushrooms so expensive?
No i don't want an air fryer

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
A friend couldn't afford lunch in 1970 England but the Chippy sold him fish batter on a tray with gravy for 2 pence.

I wish they're just sell fried batter--like Popeyes. Years back my son brought some Popeyes chicken. I loved their batter and picked some of it from the box. I never fry anything but if I could just buy a bag of fried batter I would.
Why the heck can't they sell more fried veggies? why are onion rings or mushrooms so expensive?
No i don't want an air fryer
If you’re talking batter fried veggies I don’t think an air fryer would work for that anyway. Some things just need to be deep fried in oil. :drool:

The best-fried food I ever had was Deep Fried Artichokes hearts. There is a place an hour south of me that makes the best ones. I wonder if they are open.
Wow! That sounds so good I may have to fry them myself. I've never seen those anywhere!

I once bought Trader Joes frozen artichoke hearts and not sure if I had them so long they were freezer burned, or just fibrous? Does anyone get those? Only place I've seen them frozen.
I do get their canned in water ones.
I wonder if jackfruit fritters would be good? Could be seasoned all kinds of ways

Reactions: KLS52
That does it. I'm buying fresh artichokes from the produce market. Probably will just cook in Instant Pot-but I so love artichokes!

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
If you’re talking batter fried veggies I don’t think an air fryer would work for that anyway. Some things just need to be deep fried in oil. :drool:

I can't view the video as it's blocked in certain countries. I have lost the plot here and don't know what we are discussing. :DFried vegetables in
batter ?

• Friendly
I watched a video, the other day, where they fried their flowers from the squash growing in their garden, the big orangey yellow flowers - they battered them and fried them in a small amount of oil, so you can deep fry almost anything....

Emma JC

Reactions: David3
I watched a video, the other day, where they fried their flowers from the squash growing in their garden, the big orangey yellow flowers - they battered them and fried them in a small amount of oil, so you can deep fry almost anything....

Emma JC

That is also a speciality over here in the south; deep fried courgette flowers/blossom. As long as the ingredient doesn't contain too much water it can be deep fried. This reminds me of deep fried Mars bars in batter. :grinning:

1601044963616.png

Courgette flower Fritters.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3