Fish replacement foods are next...

TofuRobot

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/07/f...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

It was particularly good to read this paragraph - and in Tech Crunch, no less:

There is also a long and ongoing debate about fish welfare, and whether fish species are sentient and can feel pain when they’re fished and killed. But research is putting this debate to rest and showing that a number of species demonstrate having long-term memory, social bonding and parenting skills, use tools, learn traditions and cooperate with other species. Most experts agree that fish also have the ability to experience emotions, including pain and fear.

They did a good job with the background material and the context.

I've been hearing about Good Catch for a while now. Whole Foods carry it. There is a Whole Foods near me. It is just a little more inconvenient than the local market. But maybe now I have a good excuse to go there.

I do enjoy Gardein fishless fillets - only on occasion though as they are very oily.

Emma JC

Good article. I haven’t tried any store bought fish substitutes yet, but have recently found that a combination of seaweed flakes and old bay sprinkled on tofu can replace scallops or shrimp, especially in a pasta dish.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Fish is basically my only meat craving after two years of veganism (sushiiiiii :eyes:) so Im dying for a sweet sweet plant based alternative like this. Go food science!

Yea! Ive also heard of plant based shrimp? And ive seen recipes for using heart of palm as a crab alternative, Which opens many more possibilities.
Its the raw salmon I crave and I have no idea why! Thankfully veggie sushi is still delicious all on its own. My brain is just dumb.

Yea! Ive also heard of plant based shrimp? And ive seen recipes for using heart of palm as a crab alternative, Which opens many more possibilities.
Its the raw salmon I crave and I have no idea why! Thankfully veggie sushi is still delicious all on its own. My brain is just dumb.

1) are you getting enough omega 3 fatty acids? Have you considered taking algal oil supplements to see if that makes the cravings go away?

2) Jackfruit with dulse in a cold recipe might satisfy the taste cravings better than Gardein if you miss sushi specifically

Reactions: Lou

I'm reading Totem Salmon for my first grad school class and in one chapter Freeman House described working in his 30s on a commercial fishing boat. He describes the work as disconnected from nature despite being outdoors in the ocean because it's so capitalist and factory like in terms of desperately seeking numbers of fish just to get paid. He then described the fish as disturbingly suffocating and beating themselves to death, taking a long time to die. For his part after quitting he decided he'd never eat anything again he didn't kill himself and not without a sense of reverence or ceremony. It didn't turn him vegan but he developed a more tribal ethic which eventually led him to make huge strides in endangered salmon conservation, on the hands on level, to his great credit. The last bit is why we have to read the book.

I'll look for this product! Thanks!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Fish is basically my only meat craving after two years of veganism (sushiiiiii :eyes:) so Im dying for a sweet sweet plant based alternative like this. Go food science!
Ah yes, an actually good tasting fish substitute would be awesome. There are some decent mock fish sticks but I definitely miss salmon and tuna.