Fish replacement foods are next...

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
https://techcrunch.com/2019/07/07/f...ed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

It was particularly good to read this paragraph - and in Tech Crunch, no less:

There is also a long and ongoing debate about fish welfare, and whether fish species are sentient and can feel pain when they’re fished and killed. But research is putting this debate to rest and showing that a number of species demonstrate having long-term memory, social bonding and parenting skills, use tools, learn traditions and cooperate with other species. Most experts agree that fish also have the ability to experience emotions, including pain and fear.

Lou

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
They did a good job with the background material and the context.

I've been hearing about Good Catch for a while now. Whole Foods carry it. There is a Whole Foods near me. It is just a little more inconvenient than the local market. But maybe now I have a good excuse to go there.

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I do enjoy Gardein fishless fillets - only on occasion though as they are very oily.

Emma JC

Mbeth

Practitioner
Reaction score
Good article. I haven’t tried any store bought fish substitutes yet, but have recently found that a combination of seaweed flakes and old bay sprinkled on tofu can replace scallops or shrimp, especially in a pasta dish.

• 👍
Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou

Jaydoesitgood

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Fish is basically my only meat craving after two years of veganism (sushiiiiii :eyes:) so Im dying for a sweet sweet plant based alternative like this. Go food science!

Jaydoesitgood

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Yea! Ive also heard of plant based shrimp? And ive seen recipes for using heart of palm as a crab alternative, Which opens many more possibilities.
Its the raw salmon I crave and I have no idea why! Thankfully veggie sushi is still delicious all on its own. My brain is just dumb.

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Yea! Ive also heard of plant based shrimp? And ive seen recipes for using heart of palm as a crab alternative, Which opens many more possibilities.
Its the raw salmon I crave and I have no idea why! Thankfully veggie sushi is still delicious all on its own. My brain is just dumb.
1) are you getting enough omega 3 fatty acids? Have you considered taking algal oil supplements to see if that makes the cravings go away?

2) Jackfruit with dulse in a cold recipe might satisfy the taste cravings better than Gardein if you miss sushi specifically

• 👍
Reactions: Lou

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm reading Totem Salmon for my first grad school class and in one chapter Freeman House described working in his 30s on a commercial fishing boat. He describes the work as disconnected from nature despite being outdoors in the ocean because it's so capitalist and factory like in terms of desperately seeking numbers of fish just to get paid. He then described the fish as disturbingly suffocating and beating themselves to death, taking a long time to die. For his part after quitting he decided he'd never eat anything again he didn't kill himself and not without a sense of reverence or ceremony. It didn't turn him vegan but he developed a more tribal ethic which eventually led him to make huge strides in endangered salmon conservation, on the hands on level, to his great credit. The last bit is why we have to read the book.

I'll look for this product! Thanks!

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Meat/Fish/White flour still in my supplies General 4
Ger Fish-less Fish Food & Drink 1
W Any recipe for fried fish, without fish or frying ? Recipes 6
Indian Summer Life Sciences Study: Catch-and-release angling stops fish feeding properly Science & Technology 0
Amy SF California fish market owner buys giant octopus - and then lets it go Animals In The News 0
Consistency Is it unethical to catch your own fish for food? General 4
W Question Ate fish after almost 2 years due to social anxiety Ask Us a Question! 2
V Vegan fish fry Recipes 1
Indian Summer Question Does Tropicana juice (UK) have fish bits? Ask Us a Question! 4
R Vegan 'fish and chip shop' Lounge 3
robert99 farmed fish suffer from severe depression Animals In The News 0
Bite Size Vegan Do Fish Have FEELINGS? [KIDS Video!] Animals 2
robert99 Life Sciences Fish food from timber Science & Technology 1
Bite Size Vegan EMPTY OCEANS: Is The World Running Out Of Fish? Animals 2
Indian Summer Health & Medicine Fish oil omega-3 doesn't slow cognitive decline Science & Technology 0
turtledove Have you ever accidentally eaten meat or fish? General 2
wedigfood Do fish feel pain? Animals 66
R Fish-eating spiders on 6 continents Animals In The News 5
thefadedone Animal Advocacy Fish Love's New Campaign Animals 2
Calliegirl Man Makes A Life Vest For Pet Fish Who Can’t Swim Animals In The News 3
SummerRain Vegetarian foods cooked with oil used for meat/fish? The Vegetarian Forum 20
Poppy Are fish eggs vegetarian? The Vegetarian Forum 44
beancounter Fish Oil and Omega 3's Don't Prevent Heart Attacks General Discussion 10
H Complete vegan meal replacement ? Food & Drink 30
C Replacement for high end makeup Products 5
C Egg replacement micronutrients Food & Drink 0
Grayveggie Question Butter replacement Ask Us a Question! 19
V Egg replacement for boxed mixes? Food & Drink 11
G I need an egg replacement!! Food & Drink 3
KenBrace Tofu Burrito - Awesome Egg Replacement Recipes 2
Calliegirl Replacement for Earth Balance? Food & Drink 34
David3 25 job openings at Impossible Foods General 0
Lou Nutrition & Diet Can Fermented Foods Help? Health & Body 5
S Survey on plant-based, real, convenient Foods Products 2
R Nutrition & Diet Foods & herbs to fight stress & anxiety Health & Body 0
B Tinned and dried easy to store foods Products 6
Lou News Consuming Olive oil instead of these foods-Beneficial for Heart Food & Drink 17
Vegan News Pedigree Food & Wiskas(Cats)Makers Developing Plant Based Pet Foods General 0
Vegan Dogs Vegan Pet Foods. Cat Dog and Ferret Pet food. Animals 2
Lou Treating Common Ailment with Plant-Based Foods Recipes 7
Let's Talk Vegan What foods do you miss? Food & Drink 23
Amy SF What foods have you never eaten? Food & Drink 17
KLS52 Impossible Foods Misleads Consumers General 13
Robin Comfort foods Food & Drink 13
V Survey Climate compensated vegan foods Marketplace 0
Forest Nymph Whole foods holiday feast Products 7
Damo Iceland removes palm oil from own-brand foods Environment 4
S Vegan foods General 2
Mel Local SPCA fundraiser BBQ to serve only vegan foods General 0
Jinendra Singh Foods that boost metabolism? Health & Body 3