Nutrition & Diet Finally! the truth about oil (mainstream media)

That's the same as I was talking about above... I also like the tortillas! The best for when I don't want to eat so much bread. I have been using these for avocado toast lately. So gut (good)! :)

I have never seen Ezekial tortillas. I do buy tortillas. I get the smaller ones and always as much whole wheat as they have. I use them as wraps, or for burritos. * Lately I have been using them instead of rolls or bun for my Field Roast Apple Sage Sausages.

* I think i like the smaller sized tortillas for burritos cause it makes them more of a one-handed meal. Way easier to eat.

Actually, the only bread I buy for myself is Low Sodium Ezekiel (all sprouted grain), but I used to buy Daves for a change of pace and for sandwiches for my son. I haven't bought Dave's in a long time, but it was nice to know it was an option. I am mostly irritated in principle, as it was perfectly fine before, but apparently they got bought out and sold out (it's my theory that it's also part of the bigger plan to keep oil in the market as a commodity, much like meat is).

That is the only decent one that I also like. :D It really does taste delicious. :)

I usually don't like any supermarket sliced loaf due to the high sugar and long list of additives.

I had my blood drawn today! :grinning:
I’m really missing our dancing smileys that we have on VeggieViews LOL.
Good for you!
I recently had mine, and I was surprised. While the overall was higher at 193, my triglycerides were much lower, and my HCL was higher! :)
I had been routinely eating 4 brazil nuts, once a month for about the last year. Really the only change, as I'd been back and forth with eating wfpb and junk.
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/four-nuts-once-a-month/

That is the only decent one that I also like. :D It really does taste delicious. :)

I usually don't like any supermarket sliced loaf due to the high sugar and long list of additives.

This is the ingredients of the Sprouted Wheat

Organic Sprouted Wheat, Filtered Water, Organic Malted Barley, Organic Sprouted Rye, Organic Sprouted Barley, Organic Sprouted Oats, Organic Sprouted Millet, Organic Sprouted Corn, Organic Sprouted Brown Rice, Fresh Yeast, Organic Wheat Gluten, Sea Salt.

and the nutrtional info.

Screen Shot 2019-12-07 at 9.38.18 AM.png

This is good stuff!
No added sugars and just a little salt. I think you have to have a little salt to make bread.

I have never seen Ezekial tortillas. I do buy tortillas. I get the smaller ones and always as much whole wheat as they have. I use them as wraps, or for burritos. * Lately I have been using them instead of rolls or bun for my Field Roast Apple Sage Sausages.

* I think i like the smaller sized tortillas for burritos cause it makes them more of a one-handed meal. Way easier to eat.
They are really good! If you come across some, pick some up. I eat them more like a flat bread than a tortilla - just popping them in the toaster and putting stuff on top - hummus/avocado & salsa, usually.

I picked mine up at Sprouts - maybe there's a Sprouts near you that has them?
Here's a link:

They are really good! If you come across some, pick some up. I eat them more like a flat bread than a tortilla - just popping them in the toaster and putting stuff on top - hummus/avocado & salsa, usually.

I picked mine up at Sprouts - maybe there's a Sprouts near you that has them?
Here's a link:

:( We don't have a Sprouts here. At the local upscale market, they have a shelf in the frozen foods with Ezekial products. I'll look more closely for tortillas.

:( We don't have a Sprouts here. At the local upscale market, they have a shelf in the frozen foods with Ezekial products. I'll look more closely for tortillas.

You should be able to find them at Vons, Smart & Final, Wallmart neighbourhood, Stater Bros etc.

I absolutely believe the research proves the superiority of wfpb eating, no oil, no sugar--I'm on the fence on the no salt thing cause I can;t make it work for me... but anyway....
If someone is suffering from health issues I would absolutely suggest they do it 100%. I have followed Dr Gregers daily dozen way of eating (woe) on and off and can attest that strict adherence can work miracles than any added non complient foods 'in moderation' can.
Having said that, I have an awful time keeping to it, and go back to adding things like vegan mayo, and oil. You can still agree on the research whether you follow it yourself or not!
Salt is healthy if you eat himalayan sea salt because it still has minerals and is not refined. The sea salt you would think would be healthy as well but has micro bits of plastic in it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
Look up the work of Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. Every time you consume saturated fat, you damage your endothelium, which puts you at risk for heart disease later in life. It's not something that happens overnight, but it can and will catch up with you.

"NO OIL! Not even olive oil, which goes against a lot of other advice out there about so-called good fats. The reality is that oils are extremely low in terms of nutritive value. They contain no fiber, no minerals and are 100% fat calories. Both the mono unsaturated and saturated fat contained in oils is harmful to the endothelium, the innermost lining of the artery, and that injury is the gateway to vascular disease. It doesn’t matter whether it’s olive oil, corn oil, coconut oil, canola oil, or any other kind. Avoid ALL oil."
I prefer to get my fats and oils from raw foods such as avocado and since I do not cook food I have little need for any liquid oil. Olive oil gets a bad rap because the Italians save the good stuff for themselves sending us the rancid diluted inferior oils.

• Disagree
Reactions: shyvas
Coconut oil, an oil high in saturated fat (approximately 90%), has gained popularity as a dietary ingredient in the UK, promoted on television cookery programs, in recipe books and on social media with claims of health benefits frequently hitting the headlines (Lockyer & Stanner, 2016). Two recent reviews of intervention studies, including randomised controlled trials, on the effect of coconut oil on cardiovascular risk markers provide no suggestion from the weight of evidence that consumption of coconut oil rather than unsaturated plant oils would benefit cardiovascular health.
Rather, these reviews suggested that, compared to unsaturated oils (such as safflower, soybean and olive oil), consumption of coconut oil raises total cholesterol (TC) and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C), but also increases high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C) (Lockyer & Stanner, 2016; Eyres et al., 2016). These effects are consistent with expectations of the blood lipid effects of a saturated fat based on laboratory studies. However, both reviews highlighted the limited number of intervention studies to date and that those available often had small numbers of subjects and were conducted in populations not largely representative of the UK (e.g. Sri Lankans, Pacific Islanders, Malaysians).

Two different dietary fats (butter and coconut oil) which are predominantly saturated fats, appear to have different effects on blood lipids compared with olive oil, a predominantly monounsaturated fat, with coconut oil more comparable to olive oil with respect to its effect on LDL-C.

Coconut oil can be included in the diet, but as it is high in saturated fats, should only be included less often and in small amounts and as part of a healthy, balanced diet.

https://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritionscience/researchspotlight/research-spotlight-2018-issue-3-coconut-oil-and-blood-lipids.html

A small amount of fat is an essential part of a healthy, balanced diet. Fat is a source of essential fatty acids, which the body cannot make itself.
Fat helps the body absorb vitamin A, vitamin D and vitamin E. These vitamins are fat-soluble, which means they can only be absorbed with the help of fats.

Facts about fat - NHS

Vegetable fat/oil in small quantities is essentiel for the body. Excluding the latter may be considered as a fad diet and is not recommended by many medical experts.

Salt is healthy if you eat himalayan sea salt because it still has minerals and is not refined. The sea salt you would think would be healthy as well but has micro bits of plastic in it.

Please state your sources. Salt eaten in large quantities is not beneficial to good health. Moreover, Himalayan salt is not sea salt.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I prefer to get my fats and oils from raw foods such as avocado and since I do not cook food I have little need for any liquid oil. Olive oil gets a bad rap because the Italians save the good stuff for themselves sending us the rancid diluted inferior oils.

Did you know that the US produces olive oil? Nobody is shipping rancid oil anywhere.

Vegetable fat/oil in small quantities is essentiel for the body. Excluding the latter may be considered as a fad diet and is not recommended by many medical experts.

This may be just semantics. Like Excluding vs reducing.

The argument for including fats in your diet is also subject to misinterpation.

Yes fats are essential and needed by the body BUT almost all of us get more than enough. Its the same with cholesterol and sat fats. You need some but almost everyone eats too much. Its not like you have to go out of your way to include it.

I disagree with you and I think that the body does not get nearly enough of the rightf ats and to much of the wrong fats. Just my opinion. Many times when the body is hungry and crying for food that food is fat. Try this when you are hungry. Just take something with fat such an avocado and eat a small amount and see if that takes care of the hunger instead of eating a big meal. Of course if that meal happens to be raw foods you can eat all you want but may still feel hungry without the fat. Just try it and see.