Favorite way to cook vegetables

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I know steaming is the best and healthiest way to cook vegetables to keep all the nutrition in, but my favorite way is to roast vegetables as it is quick and easy and much tastier and still healthy.

I chop them up and then drizzle olive oil on them and a little seasoning and then bake them for about 15 minutes on Gas Mark 5. The great thing is you can eat them like that as a side dish, add them to salads or stir fries or use them in a lasagna or make vegetable kebabs with them.

Reactions: MyDigitalpoint
That sounds really good. I want to hear other people's ideas for cooking veggies. I don't do anything special with mine right now, so it's great to learn about a few ideas and recipes on how to cook them. The vegetables kebabs sound great too.

I usually like to eat raw veggies so I get the full vitamin and mineral hit as possible.

If I do fry my veggies I usually use some coconut oil for the wok. Then I chop the veggies and spread a lot of oyster sauce all over while frying it. It's not the most appetizing way to eat it but it is a quick way to cook and eat veggies. If you wanted to you could add some chicken but this is a vegan forum so never mind.

Raw for some like Lettuce, Cabbage, Cucumber and Carrots when washed thoroughly with salt water and again with fresh water. As well as barely steamed (allow water to just start bubbling then add vegetable and turn off fire). This will ensure certain enzymes are activated as well as assist with palitability (eating of it isn't so difficult). Overcooking is never a good thing as over-cooking removes too much, if not all of the necessary nutrients therein.

It is wise to mix our vegetable and incorporate with our carbohydrates (like when we have whole grain pasta dishes or rice), as this not only assist with digestion but it helps to endure enjoyment at the meal and interest in a healthy lifestyle. Instead of it being boring, distasteful and overcooked/unhealthy.

I do think adding sauces or seasoning to vegetables is important as if they are the staple of the meal you need it. I also add some balsamic vinegar or a few chilli flakes so they taste better. No all vegetables have flavor and they can get lost in cooking.

Adding some flavored oil like garlic or chilli is a good way to cook them too, but only add them at the end, more for flavor than to cook with.

I do like sauteing vegetables. It's a fun way for me to eat more of them since I'm slowly transitioning into being a vegetarian. I usually add different spices and seasonings to the vegetables in order to enhance the flavor and taste.

I find roasted vegetables to be quite delicious. I especially enjoy roasted red peppers. A drizzle of olive oil and just a dash of oregano, and I'm happy. I seem to be able to get my family to eat more vegetables when they're roasted as well. Yum.

Last edited:
I know steaming is the best and healthiest way to cook vegetables to keep all the nutrition in, but my favorite way is to roast vegetables as it is quick and easy and much tastier and still healthy.

I chop them up and then drizzle olive oil on them and a little seasoning and then bake them for about 15 minutes on Gas Mark 5. The great thing is you can eat them like that as a side dish, add them to salads or stir fries or use them in a lasagna or make vegetable kebabs with them.

I absolutely love my electric food steamer, and use it quite often. In fact, I've got my eye on a more expensive model which has three separate containers, and each one steams independently, but it's like $200, so I may have to wait until my birthday or Xmas to splurge on it.

If I'm not steaming I often wind up braising them in most circumstances - I may fry them for a little bit, then throw a lid over the pan and let them finish cooking in their own steam until they heat through all the way. While I do like a little browning in most cases, sometimes I don't want the vegetables getting too browned on the outside before their insides are cooked through.

For stuff such as greens, like Escarole, I will boil them in water for about 10 minutes or so to wilt them down and draw out the bitterness, then blot them dry on a clean towel, and saute them in oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper,

I really dont know how to cook the best but always cook my vegetables in light way. I mean its half-cooked , i dont want vegetables to be cooked that 100%.

I steam sometimes and most of the time, i saute leafy vegetables :)

Saute ..
Fresh and green leafy vegetables are best served if it would be sauteed. I heat olive oil and then chop garlic into small pieces, I add it on the olive oil until the garlic would turn into light brown. After that, I would chop onions and add it on the garlic, saute it and if it would become smelly, i would add the vegetable and saute it :) It would be delicious.

I mainly just roast mine, with a little drizzle of oil and then a range of herbs depending on the flavor I'm going for. I love a blend of Italian herbs a lot (basil, oregano, things like that!) but sometimes just a little salt and pepper does the trick. And a lot of the time I'll just eat them raw on their own, not cooked or anything...depends on my mood and a lot of the time depends on the weather (I'm more likely to make roasted veggies in winter than summer, for instance)...

I used to have boiled or steamed vegetables, but since I discovered the deliciousness of raw veggies, there is no going back for me! Raw broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots are favorites of mine. But most of all, I love snap peas and snow peas! Mmm. I don't know much about the effect that cooking vegetables has on their nutrition, but I do know that raw veggies are much tastier and make me feel better!

I tried today your advice Alexia, but rather than roasting my vegetables on the oven, I did it using a panini grill that is not been in use for long time.

These roasted-type vegetables were tasty indeed, and looked great served with steamed white rice, yum yum.

Will try next time on the oven to see if there's a difference in taste or texture ;)

My favorite way to do most vegetables is to roast them in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper. I especially love this with asparagus. I think this method makes any vegetable taste delicious. Plus, it is simple and really great for you with the healthy fats from the olive oil.

For me, they taste the best roasted.. no additives, they're amazing on their own :)

I love them roasted. I like to throw them all in one pan and into the oven. It's a great way of using up loads of different vegetables when you have a lot bits and pieces left over in the fridge at the end of the week.

An alternative way I like to use them up is to throw them onto a pizza, base made from mashed or sliced potato, or cauliflower as an alternative. I've always been a fan of pizza and the use of cauliflower as the base gives it a different texture which I find quite appealing.

I like my vegetables roasted too. It seems to bring out their sweetness and give them a nice texture. It is also easy and convenient. I usually make a dipping sauce and have loads of fun eating them.

Green smoothies!

I like to drink my veggies.

Well, of course I also like to eat them, preferably as a nice salad or pasta, but I definitely like to start the day with a good green smoothie (or two, or three ... to be honest, most of the time, it's a whole 64 ounce Vitamix jar full of it, that gets me through the morning )

Saute ..
Fresh and green leafy vegetables are best served if it would be sauteed. I heat olive oil and then chop garlic into small pieces, I add it on the olive oil until the garlic would turn into light brown. After that, I would chop onions and add it on the garlic, saute it and if it would become smelly, i would add the vegetable and saute it :) It would be delicious.

This is my ideal way to eat vegetables. Anything with garlic is so so tasty so it gets a big thumbs up from me ! I just love it. Roasting is good but I find a lot of veggies aren't the nicest roasted and sometimes steaming them I can feel is quite boring but I think by mixing up how you cook them all the time it helps to make them less boring because sometimes it can be hard to try and get the most amount of flavour from such tasty ingredients!

I love my vegetables steam, sauted or as is. Being from Asia, I love my vegetables stir-fried with noodles and Chinese sauces. I also eat a lot of salads and all I need is to wash the lettuce and I'm all good. Steaming is good if you have a way to spice up the vegetables, I eat mine with a lot of fruits like mangoes just to add something sweet.