Farmer dad, wont approve of my choice

Bill8

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
So i finally went vegan 3 weeks ago after being Pescatarian for 5 months, my little brother has been Vegan for a year now, and my father is very aware of it, doesn't approve, and quite frankly doesn't understand (like most farmers)

I'm currently hiding it from him as i feel he may be disappointed as he's a farmer (mainly cider, but also raises beef cattle) and feels like people should be supporting the industry, do you think i should carry on keeping it a secret, or the next time i have a Sunday roast, explain to him why there is no meat on my plate..?

Is anyone else hiding it from their parents or certain people?

So, quick question, if you have been pescatarian for five months you haven't been eating beef during that time period either, no? I agree that hiding it is not a good idea and I would suggest contributing to the meals something tasty and vegan and not necessarily making it a topic of every conversation but just living it.

Emma JC

Learn to not rely on other people's acceptance, for any decisions you make. If you've thought about it thoroughly(it not being only veganism, but any life choice) and came to a decision, made a choice, then own it with all your heart. You shouldn't ever force your opinions or life style on anyone else, but either should they. Love yourself, love your neighbor, love the world

I actually am disgusted with my family for forcing meat on me as a child when I wanted to be vegetarian or pescatarian. It's part of the the reason I'm not calm or understanding with unapologetic meat eaters. I never was one, I don't relate to it and even more, I associate it with authoritarianism and patriarchy and ignorance. I associate it with psychological abuse. My grandma would let me eat peanut butter or cheese or eggs but when she died my grandfather and his next wife forced it on me to the point of me having to feed meat to the family dog so I could get up from sitting alone in the dark at the dinner table.

My mother would be fine with me being pescatarian or vegetarian, she's a flexitarian who does not drink milk and eats mostly fish eggs but veganism frightens her.

I am amazed you even eat with a beef farmer parent. Yes tell him. Or avoid him.

I don't think you could hide it as people will start to notice what foods you eat/buy. No meat or fish is easy, but explain to people why you don't want that cookie, or why cheese or egg in a vegetarian dish is an issue as well...

Do you still live with him? If not, he doesn't even have the right to tell you what to eat, he doesn't even if you're 18+
Tho I can see where you come from, explaining him what's wrong with it may feel like a personal attack...

I feel like a lot of people think growing up on a farm (or around farms) should make you understand where they (farmers) come from, but lemme tell you... I grew up (and still live in) a rural area. I was a chef's trainee and working in restaurants actually gave me the final push to vegetarianism (all the food waste, all those animals died for nothing)

Yeah, you definitely need to tell.
I have my aunt farmer and I spent half of my childhood with her.
So once I turned vegan I kind of dropped the level of visits (and that is the saddest part - never do that!) but when I did I told her, that I would really appreciate some clean, simple foods, like veggies, tomatoes, potatoes and whatever.
So main issue that I addressed was health and my personal diet preference. Cause if I would go for animal rights I would have such an army of opinions and examples. And it is close to impossible to convince farmer that it is hurting someone.

But when I put it in my light - as my health - not their fault, it got respected well enough. You can show great example and give sight of how industry is treating animals but I would recommend at first not to mix it with your diet choice too much. Cause you could get some bad resistance and that is frustrating and makes you really trapped.

This is an interesting thread, because I imagine it would be so much harder for a farmer, especially a cattle rancher. Feeling that your livelihood is threatened can generate a great deal of fear.

Reactions: Calliegirl