family wants me to go on a cruise

AspireToExpire

chomp chomp chump
Reaction score
Have you ever been on a cruise?
What did you eat?
Are you allowed to carry on your own food?
Did you experience icebergs/perfect storms/Bermuda triangle/pirates and/or sharks?

Reactions: KLS52
I've never been but I can't imagine that they couldn't accommodate special diets upon request. I'd probably ask in advance. I would definitely bring some of my own food, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: AspireToExpire
I've been on cruises before :) loved every single one. Haven't been on one since being vegan, but have been on a few as a vegetarian, and one as a lactose intolerant vegetarian. In my experience, there have been so many dining options that it'd be difficult not to find suitable food. A quick word with our waiter at dinner the first night, and I was set for the rest of the trip. Where the regular vegetarian option wasn't suitable, I had something special made - all without having to ask. As for other meals - the buffets and casual dining places had more than enough options. Of course, it'll depend on which company you're travelling with - I'd get in touch beforehand just to make sure.

And of the five cruises I've been on, the worst thing that has happened was a minor bout of seasickness over some rough water :p

I cruised from Europe back to the US back in 2000. The food was quite good but I honestly can't remember what I ate that long ago. I travelled in the least-expensive class. You got to pick what you wanted from each day's menu, and there was also a buffet area in the Lido for late-night eating. At least some of the meals might have vegan options, and cruises are generally known for pampering their customers, but I would enquire about vegan food ahead of time.

As a vegetarian I've only been on a "cruise" between Norway and Denmark, but was positively surprised at how good the food was. And this was several years ago, probably around year 2000, like Tom.

Have you ever been on a cruise?
What did you eat?
Are you allowed to carry on your own food?
Did you experience icebergs/perfect storms/Bermuda triangle/pirates and/or sharks?

1 and 2. Yes, with my family, through the Panama Canal in 1995. However, I was not a vegetarian yet, and I don't remember what I ate in any case. I've read that cruises have become much more veg*an-friend these days; I imagine that getting veg*an meals on board ship is much like getting veg*an meals at any restaurant, meaning, letting the chef know your dietary needs before you eat.
3. I don't know. I don't think we did in 1995, and even if it wasn't allowed then, it may be different now.
4. No, No, No, No and No. It took me about three days to get my sea legs, but it was a two-week cruise, so after that I was fine, and I had no seasickness or anything like that. My parents brought some Dramamine with them, but none of us needed it, not even when we sailed from the relatively calm Pacific to the much choppier Atlantic.

I think you should go on the cruise. If you're concerned about getting seasick, bring some Dramamine with you, and you'll be fine. And you'll have fun. :)

OH- I forgot to answer your last question...

There were no wierd occurrences, but the transatlantic crossing took 6 days, and the 2nd or 3rd night out, we had some rough seas. This ship was huge and I wasn't worried about sinking, and I actually enjoyed it: my cabin felt like it was on a big bungee cord- I'm not susceptible to seasickness, evidently. But the ship's infirmary handed out lots of anti-nausea medicine that night. More seriously, there was some sort of regatta near the ship's route and during the night we changed course to offer assistance to any boats who needed it... fortunately, they were all okay and declined assistance.

This crossing was in mid-June- I don't know if that made a difference weather-wise.

I've heard that cruises are horrible for veg*ns and Dramamine will make you sleep through the whole experience. I personally wouldn't do a cruise that wasn't vegetarian.