Nutrition & Diet Excess vitamin B12 Might Be Deadly-?

TofuRobot

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Excess Vitamin B12 May Be Deadly
Very high blood levels of vitamin B12 were tied to an increased risk of early death.

At the end, they say it's just an association, NOT causation, so why the dramatic headline??? 😠

PTree15

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Excess Vitamin B12 May Be Deadly
Very high blood levels of vitamin B12 were tied to an increased risk of early death.

At the end, they say it's just an association, NOT causation, so why the dramatic headline??? 😠
They want clicks. Headline-writing used to be such an art, but nowadays, it's all about clicks sadly, even if the headline is misleading or downright incorrect or irrelevant, which happens a lot.

Tom L.

Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Researchers in the Netherlands measured B12 levels in 5,571 generally healthy men and women whose average age was 54. None were taking supplements. They followed them for an average of eight years......
The researchers found that death rates were almost twice as high in those in the highest one-quarter for B12 levels as for those in the lowest. The reasons are unclear.
“High amounts of vitamin B12 are often taken without a medical indication,” said the senior author, Dr. Stephan J.L. Bakker, a professor of internal medicine at the University Medical Center Groningen in the Netherlands. Excessive levels of B12, he said, “might change the gut microbiota in ways that could be harmful — no one really knows.”
Okay- I'm calling B.S. on this "study"- or at least this particular report of it. They don't say exactly how high the "highest one-quarter" B-12 levels were. And if none of the study participants were taking supplements, how did their B-12 levels get so high? Within the past two years (I think), I came across a news report that most people in the U.S.- including non-vegetarians- were thought to have B-12 levels lower than recommended. And although I don't remember the source off-hand, I'm pretty sure the source had no biases about veg*nism, one way or the other.

• 👍
Reactions: shyvas and Emma JC

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegetarian
Reactions: Tom L.

Indian Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
No as it's water soluble and excess amounts are floushed out via the urine.
Is it flushed out directly from the stomach or is it first absorbed into the bloodstream? If the latter, then it might show in blood samples.

Certain illnesses can promote high reading of Vit B12 :

Conditions that can increase B12 level include:

Source : Mountsinai.org
The study looked at "generally healthy men and women".