Enzyme alternatives

veggie_trekker

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey,
My doctor prescribed creon (digestive enzymes sourced from pig pancreas). I obviously don’t want to take them, but I can’t find any alternatives. I have chronic pancreatitis and I don’t know what other options I have besides creon. Please help me stay vegan and find an alternative to creon.
Thank you

I think the smartest attitude is that when it comes to prescription medicines you should follow your doctor's advice. but go ahead and ask your pharmacist if there is a vegan alternative. It can't hurt to check.

Remember the definition of veganism - according the the Vegan Society (UK): "Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose." (My emphasis.)

So if you can't find a vegan alternative for this medicine, you can still consider yourself a vegan.

This article may be helpful to you - written by a man with pancreatitis, it doesn't seem like he is selling anything, just providing information.

As @Indian Summer and @Lou said, be sure that you stay in touch with your doctor as/if you make any changes.

Sending healing thoughts, Emma JC

Hey,
My doctor prescribed creon (digestive enzymes sourced from pig pancreas). I obviously don’t want to take them, but I can’t find any alternatives. I have chronic pancreatitis and I don’t know what other options I have besides creon. Please help me stay vegan and find an alternative to creon.
Thank you
Hi, I know that I am a couple of years late but I was just wondering how things turned out for you. My doctor prescribed me with creon yesterday and sent a referral to a CT scan of my pancreas and abdomen. I have been having issues with my digestive system for about two years now and the doctors have managed to persuade me that it is just stress. How did you get diagnosed with pancreatitis and how are you doing now?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC